MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb iPhone hazmat web application

Hi all,

Just to let you know I've coded as a weekend project a little hazmat substance lookup guide for the iPhone (it will work on normal browsers, but will be a lot uglier!). You basically enter the UN four-digit number, and it returns basic info such as the substance name, hazard ID number, and substance type, plus an image of the ADR labels that apply.

I plan on adding other stuff like safety zones for various spill sizes and emergency response information, but for now any feedback will be welcome.

Find the app at http://tech.am/hazmat (you can save this to your iPhone desktop as a webclip for direct access). I've put some more info on my blog at http://tech.am/2008/03/09/weekend-pr...or-the-iphone/

Be safe,

Mike

Forum Member

Is this a web app only, or a local app as well?

Forum Member

Blah, just read the blog and now I've answered that for myself, love the idea, however I am not a huge fan of web apps, as I don't have a data plan and really on wifi for websites.

However, the idea of this as a native app... and a drug book (been trying to get someone to code one for ages) would be some of the most useful things ever, and perhaps a quick friction loss calculator and such... Oh the possibilities this phone holds.

MembersZone Subscriber

For now it's only a web app (I know, I hate them too believe me!), but my intention is to turn it into a native app once Apple allows them into the iPhone in June. I have the SDK already, but it's going to take a while to get used to it

Glad you like the idea, cheers,

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

The US Library of medicine has a great program for smart phones called wiser(Wireless Information System for Emergency Responders). WISER is a system designed to assist first responders in hazardous material incidents. WISER provides a wide range of information on hazardous substances, including substance identification support, physical characteristics, human health information, and containment and suppression advice. It is free and I have it downloaded on my Palm phone.
    http://wiser.nlm.nih.gov/

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    It is free and I have it downloaded on my Palm phone.
    OMG he said the P-word! Just kidding - thanks for the info, they also seem to have a web-based version, I'll check it out!

Be safe,

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah I said the P word, but my little Palm Centro can do nearly anything an I-phone can do at 1/6th the cost.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm waiting for a rugged version of the iPhone so that I can actually take it to fires, but I guess that's not going to happen anytime soon

As with all the other tools we use, each one has a time and a place.

Forum Member

thanks. This is awesome

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flameproof View Post
    I'm waiting for a rugged version of the iPhone so that I can actually take it to fires, but I guess that's not going to happen anytime soon

As with all the other tools we use, each one has a time and a place.
    I wish I waited for that "rugged version" been using my 8gb around the firehouse like crazy and I put a few nice scrapes in the screen, oh well... I guess no sense in getting upset about it...

Soon as you can get a native app for it, let me know I'd deffinately love to see it... Wish I learned how to code applications back in the day...

I can handle any webdesign language, but these native apps seem impossible to learn.

Forum Member

Also, and idea I had in the past, what about a fire fighter / medic theme for the phone?

My chief, a couple other officers and some hazmat guys were wondering if you could make this into a program for PC

Very cool. It's definitely living on my Spring (Summer) Board. I can't wait to see a native version of it; it seems like relying on cell signal isn't always best in an emergency situation.
    There are some good resources here, including some Windows Mobile versions of the ERG. It would be pretty cool to have those integrated into this application.

Oh, to those asking for a more rugged iPhone, check out some inCase sleeves, or even things like the OtterBox.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    The US Library of medicine has a great program for smart phones called wiser(Wireless Information System for Emergency Responders). WISER is a system designed to assist first responders in hazardous material incidents. WISER provides a wide range of information on hazardous substances, including substance identification support, physical characteristics, human health information, and containment and suppression advice. It is free and I have it downloaded on my Palm phone.
    http://wiser.nlm.nih.gov/
    I also use WISER. Great app that I use on my T-mobile Dash, and I've had it on the laptop for a few years now!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NEOMike View Post
    I wish I waited for that "rugged version" been using my 8gb around the firehouse like crazy and I put a few nice scrapes in the screen, oh well... I guess no sense in getting upset about it...

Soon as you can get a native app for it, let me know I'd deffinately love to see it... Wish I learned how to code applications back in the day...

I can handle any webdesign language, but these native apps seem impossible to learn.
    Hey NEO I found a screen cleaner for you, here try it out

http://theglobalbible.com/temp/screenclean.swf
    Pere Marquette Fire Department
    "First in Last Out Crew"
    Engine 2911

Forum Member

Post CHRIS Manual on-line, too

If you truely have access to the Internet on any mobile device, you can also go to:
    http://www.chrismanual.com

and get the full CHRIS Manual on line, too, FREE.
    BTW, I have WISER in every computer I have access to on a regular basis and it is very helpful.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Thread Information