Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default EMS Runs on Grant

I have a contracted ambulance service that runs our ALS-EMS calls in which we respond with also. My question is, can I include their runs on my run report section on the AFG application since there subsidy comes out of my budget and they are housed in our station ? We do not run every call with them.

Forum Member

We're working on our 2008 grant also. When I clicked the the word "Help" on the Mutual Aid questions it states "Receiving or providing mutual and/or automatic aid refers to emergency responses including all types of incidents (EMS, fire, rescue, wildland, etc.) so we took it literally and counted all EMS calls, both BLS and ALS, as giving and receiving Mutual Aid.

We have a First Responder Agreement with the neighboring fire department that provides EMS services to our area. We are paged out as if is were a fire call for us or a Mutual Aid request for a fire call for someone else.
    Our First Responders, EMT's, and Paramedics are paged out on all Priority 1 calls they have in our area. Priority 1's may be either BLS or ALS. Sometimes we have personnel available and sometimes they are on the ambulance responding to the call (they work for the other department and volunteer with us) so technically we don't always have personnel available to respond, either. Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a meeting with Indiana DHS NFIRS Reporting Coordinator, he also does the AFG Workshops in Indiana and had asked him a question similiar to this. He informed me that only our runs we respond on count to the run totals. AFG uses NFIRS reports to verify run information so your numbers should go be the same as what is submitted to your state for reporting. In order for a run to be mutual aid for NFIRS it has to be with another Fire Department and not private ambulance service. We have an ambulance service that covers our area that we run with all the time and is funding by tax money through tax money but is an Private Entity and the runs we respond on with them our EMS Assists but are not considered mutual aid. He said that if our trucks respond and we create a NFIRS Report it is a run, if there is no NFIRS Report then it is not a run for our department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFD3022 View Post
    I had a meeting with Indiana DHS NFIRS Reporting Coordinator, he also does the AFG Workshops in Indiana and had asked him a question similiar to this. He informed me that only our runs we respond on count to the run totals. AFG uses NFIRS reports to verify run information so your numbers should go be the same as what is submitted to your state for reporting. In order for a run to be mutual aid for NFIRS it has to be with another Fire Department and not private ambulance service. We have an ambulance service that covers our area that we run with all the time and is funding by tax money through tax money but is an Private Entity and the runs we respond on with them our EMS Assists but are not considered mutual aid. He said that if our trucks respond and we create a NFIRS Report it is a run, if there is no NFIRS Report then it is not a run for our department.
    We do submit NFIRS for the EMS call that we run on. The paid department we have our agreement with does both fire and EMS. The majority of their funding comes from their city. The county provides partial funding since they respond to calls outside the city limits like in our response area. No money is exchanged between us. We do get our EMS supplies from them since they are being used on patients they transport. If we use it from our supply, we restock from their ambulance or station depending on what we use.

Thread Information