Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Not an expert on Shreveport.

I'll tell you what I know.

Personnel without bunker gear were more than likely drivers and EMS crews, who do not operate as firefighters when they are on the bus. May have been very hot summer weather. Also more than likely at least one battelion chief, safety officer and possibly an EMS supervisor who will respond to structure fires in hot weather. Working fire may have gotten a 2nd BC.

No date as when this was shot.

Shreveport runs with a 2-man truck company. Driver and a captain. Vent tools such as saws and fans are carried on all engines so they rarely get pulled off the truck. Engine comapnies or the 3-man rescue companies are tasked to ventilate. Single story structure with little chance of the ladder pipe being used no real need to put truck in front as engine carries everything they'll need. As far as I understand, they will generally not position the truck in front initially unless it's a multi-story or a single family heavily envolved where the ladder pipe may be used for defensive ops or exposure protection.

Have no idea why he had his head down the vent hole. However, if you did notice, there was smoke coming up from the other side of the ridge. That smoke may have been from the vent hole and the hole they were spraying water into was an access/working hole. Not an uncommon technique here (most departments) to operate through the roof as compared to from below. It's just the way we approach this situation more often than not based on our construction.
    I am refraining from the personal attacks, but if you don't mind me asking.....what is it about the construction in your area that leads you to attack the fire from above?

Forum Member

Ok, fair question.

To be honest, I was very used to attacking the fire from below when I moved down here. that was how we did it on my last department, and the department before that and ... the department before that. I still prefer that technique.

At times we do attack from below, when we have sufficiant access to the attic and a floor in the attic to work from. Problem is, unlike yankee attics that are generally built with pretty fair access, in most cases, the attics hedre have very marginal access, which, from what I understand, is part of the reason for this tactic. In addition, since it's generally speaking, too hot here to store anything in the attic, most attics here are simply composed of the structural members and insulation without a floor surface to work on, making it very difficult to move in them.

In addition, many of the newer homes are suing a very tall Dallas style roof, which can mean an attic height of up to 20-25' in the larger homes.

It's not the tactical approach I am the most comfortable with, but it works, and as in Rome .. do as the Romans do. It's an attack technique that is commonly used here, and I'm simply adapting.

Forum Member

At times we do attack from below, when we have sufficiant access to the attic and a floor in the attic to work from. Problem is, unlike yankee attics that are generally built with pretty fair access, in most cases, the attics hedre have very marginal access, which, from what I understand, is part of the reason for this tactic. In addition, since it's generally speaking, too hot here to store anything in the attic, most attics here are simply composed of the structural members and insulation without a floor surface to work on, making it very difficult to move in them.
    We have the same type of low pitch roof with resulting low attic around here ( called a "Florida Roof") but I have never heard of anyone attacking a fire in the attic space of one of these by cutting a hole and the roof and attacking from above. No floor in the attic? Good, that makes it easier to pull the ceiling and attack from below with having to send someone in the attic. What about pulling the eave vent off of the front or rear depending on wind direction and attacking from that route? I simply don't understand the logic of cutting a hole in the roof and spraying water down the hole, because the hole doesn't know it's supposed to be a "working hole" and not a "vent hole" , and that goes against everything I was ever taught in ventilation class...

Forum Member

I am with you Knight.

I just don't understand the logic in this tactic LaFire.

Forum Member

In all honesty, at times it perplexes me as well, but this tactic has been used in this area long before I arrived here, and being the only yankee, I follow directions.

As I said, we do attack from below, but at times attack from above. That being said, we generally don't attack down the vent hole which is cut before we attack the fire, unless the fire has self vented.. We will cut seperate holes fro attack.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Hmmm... sounds like many other places. "We've always done it this way." I must say that doesn't make it right. You know what, I think Rusty Thomas, the chief in Charleston said the same thing.

Forum Member

In all honesty, at times it perplexes me as well, but this tactic has been used in this area long before I arrived here, and being the only yankee, I follow directions.
    You know something is wrong to do yet you still do it anyway because someone tells you to?? Because it has been done that way for so long? As smeone else said how is that defense working for Rusty Thomas? Good gravy, man, you have the word "Educator" in your screen name; have you tried to show them any different???

MembersZone Subscriber

Default More videos

We have posted a few more Shreveport videos on our site:

http://www.TheBravestOnline.com

We update nearly everyday with a new video, so be sure to stop in often!

chris

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkainer75 View Post
    We have posted a few more Shreveport videos on our site:

http://www.TheBravestOnline.com

We update nearly everyday with a new video, so be sure to stop in often!

chris

Are you sure you want to do that????

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ?

Post more videos of them?

Answer: Yes, we post all kinds of videos from the good, bad, ugly, and funny. It's all part of the learning process. We have TONS of videos of right, wrong, and in between tactics. It really gives people ALL over a chance to see what everyone else is doing.

We have a great video from Chicago coming online tomorrow (tuesday).

Happy St. Patricks day! Be sure to send us your videos too, we give away $100 a month to randomly submitted videos. All you have to do is submit, the more you submit the more chances you have to win! visit our site and go to the submit page http://www.TheBravestOnline.com

Forum Member

Like many other things, I have discussed "yankee" tools, techniques and tactics.

Some have been adopted. Some have not. Some are floating in the leaders minds and may be adopted in the future.

Slowly but surely some of the ways I am used to doing things are being intergrated into thier operation. However, as the lone voice in some cases, it's easy to be droned out.

Again, as long as the roof is stable, this tactic does work in situations where accessing the attic from underneath is an issue, however, we are using it a lot less simply because most of our new residential construction is lightweight truss.

I'm sure that if a new guy, no matter how experienced, walked into your fire station, some of his new ideas would be accepted and others would be rejected. Sometimes making changes take time.

And it doesn't help that I'm a "damn" yankee invading a southern department.

P.S .. Shreveport, though an excellent fire department, tends to be more traditional in nature than the smaller rural departments such as mine.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Ok...............

Quote Originally Posted by jkainer75 View Post
    Post more videos of them?

Answer: Yes, we post all kinds of videos.

Happy St. Patricks day! Be sure to send us your videos too, we give away $100 a month to randomly submitted videos. All you have to do is submit, the more you submit the more chances you have to win! visit our site and go to the submit page http://www.TheBravestOnline.com

Not a Problem, I'll let Kentland know..............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information