Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cal Fire, I ranked 1, now what?

Ok so I took my FF1 interview on Friday and ranked number 1, now I know there's probably a large group of people who ranked 1 but now what should I do to get hired and does ranking that high usually mean you have a legit chance at getting hired?

Forum Member

Go visit the stations and talk to the Captains. You should get a job offer with your rank, but show your face anyways. I would visit the stations you want to work at the most.

Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks I Its kinda not possible for me to visit stations being that Im in Los angeles and the unit I ranked 1 with is the Mendocino unit but I plan on calling stations and sedning them a resume

Forum Member

Congratulations Boch. Still working on my interviewing skills (my last CAL-FIRE interview was the 4th serious interview of my life), but I'm pretty certain I ranked 2 there.

When I interviewed in Butte, they were extremely helpful and explained that it was extremely important to contact individual captains, and to convince them that they wanted to hire you. Visiting the station and such were all very useful in connecting name and face and showing them that you wanted the job. But the key to my understanding is that ranking was not nearly as important as follow-up.

Also, I would definitely caution you against presupposing a hire with Mendocino. They've been closing stations, and with rehires and stuff, I'm not certain how many slots there will be. I also heard, without verification, that Mendocino has -3 vacancies this year due to a station closing. They'll probably end up hiring guys, as some of last year's group won't return... but it may not be that many.

Default Well I ranked 2nd at Humboldt

Has it your experience that a rank of 2nd has a good chance of getting hired? Also, according to the hiring process it states that they begin to hire in April. Who it that calls if you are hired, the Fire Captain of the unit or HR? I also ranked 3rd in Mendocino, but I looked online and more than 2/3's of their stations are closed. Thanks of any and all help guys and gals.

thats great you ranked 2, go down to the stations and visit call them first. dress well with a tie and take a pie with you, let them know who you are. when you leave youll not only feel better but youll increase your chances getting a job. If you want it go out there and get it good luck.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard back from Mendocino? I know NYP and Butte have already been contacting people.

Quote Originally Posted by boch32 View Post
    Ok so I took my FF1 interview on Friday and ranked number 1, now I know there's probably a large group of people who ranked 1 but now what should I do to get hired and does ranking that high usually mean you have a legit chance at getting hired?

You are right; you are in a big crowed. Each year gets more and more competitive. Everyone has a fist full of certs and no idea how important it is to sell there “non firefighting " skills like mechanics, carpentry, I.T. and so on. You might get lucky and get a job, if not don't get discouraged. If I were you I would commit to 1 or 2 CAL-FIRE PCF of Volunteer programs. Not all stations have them but some do and if I were to be someone looking for a body I might be more inclined on hiring someone that has put there time in the trenches!

You are right; you are in a big crowed. Each year gets more and more competitive. Everyone has a fist full of certs and no idea how important it is to sell there “non firefighting " skills like mechanics, carpentry, I.T. and so on. You might get lucky and get a job, if not don't get discouraged. If I were you I would commit to 1 or 2 CAL-FIRE PCF of Volunteer programs. Not all stations have them but some do and if I were to be someone looking for a body I might be more inclined on hiring someone that has put there time in the trenches!

Quote Originally Posted by rickster View Post
    thats great you ranked 2, go down to the stations and visit call them first. dress well with a tie and take a pie with you, let them know who you are. when you leave youll not only feel better but youll increase your chances getting a job. If you want it go out there and get it good luck.
    The pie is fine, leave the tie for the final interview. Nobody at the station level wants to see a suit in their house. Wear a nice polo and for god's sake, don't wear baggy pants. Nothing will place a mark on you faster than wearing hip-hop gear.
    IAFF

Smile

As for me I would wear a tie, Its more proffesional but I would also suggest what ever feels comfortable to you. Any one know out there if staffing is 4-0 or 3-0 this year for Cal fire. Hopefully 4-0.

Forum Member

Heh, I was surprised as I'll get out, but I ranked one down in San Benito / Monterey. I really hope that turns something out, as that's probably my favorite region of the entire state, and it'd kill to get the chance to move down that way.

Forum Member

Just like has been said, if you guys have the ability, go take a resume and put in face time at stations. Unless the FC or FAE doing the hiring have a face to attach to a name, you're just another person out of the thousands on the lists. Rank 1 will usually expire in most units by June or July. So you should get a job. But again, go out and make yourself known. There are plenty of jobs everywhere, just be the guy ready for the slot.
    NorCal Firefighter

Default Rank 2 in Sand Diego

Well from what i have been told by numerous CAL FIRE Firefighter's is that you need to put your face to the name. I was told I am on Rank 2 in San Diego Co. A couple CAL FIRE captain's told me to go around to as many of the station's as I could with ice-cream and a resume with my picture attached. Doing this might have them put a request for you to work for their station. This is my first year applying for seasonal FF1 so if anyone could help me out that would be great too. Oh ya, does anyone think if you Rank 2nd on the list for San Diego, you will see a job with only 3-0 staffing? Thanks!

Forum Member

boforfire...

First I wanted to ask you, how do you know what rank you scored with Cal Fire's SD unit? I had an interview with SD as well, but they did not let me know what I ranked, as other units let me know before I left the unit's interviewing station up here in Northern California. Did it come in the mail, is that how you found out? It's been almost a month for me now and I just thought I would ask.

About getting hired, it can take a lot of time, money, and footwork (it has for me). The season is approaching quickly now, and now is the time to bring out your A game. I don't claim to be an expert but this is what I did and I recommend you try. First, ask around for who the hiring Captain is for the unit. Not everyone is going to tell you so you have to ask around. Find out what station they are at, call that station, and ask them if you can do a station visit with them and drop a resume off with him or her. Let them know who you are and let them ask you few questions. Then ask them a few questions and sell yourself to them. Ask them if they know what units have positions open, and go from there. You want to sell yourself to the Captains, because they are the ones who will be living with you for 72 hours, and they want to know what type of person you are if they are going to hire you. This is why station visits can be important. Timing may be everything also. You may want to follow with the hiring Captain often to see if any positions have opened up every other week or so (but do not be a pest). If your luck has it they may need you to fill a void at that time and because you have been so persistent, and they have gotten to know you, they may want to hire you. Keep yourself out their on the map, and not just a name on a paper to increase your chances getting the job. Do not get discouraged, this is your first season, and it can take a lot of work to get the position. I hope that your hard work pays off for you.

Also just a thought, I am sure that the hiring Captains have enough ice cream by now, try bringing GOOD coffee instead (I thought it was a good idea, but not cheap for every station visit, and it's a bit more diet friendly). I have had a good response from the two stations I brought good coffee to.

Good luck to you and I really hope your hard work pays off.

Forum Member

Default No Tie and No Lies!!

Dump the tie idea, no one wants a duded up man trying to upstage everyone else in the station. Wear a clean shirt, clean shoes, shave well and hide any hideous body art you sport.
    You are trying to impress the station captains that you are a polite and friendly guy, someone they would like to have around, someone they will be in close quarters with 24/7 for days at a time.
    Know-it-alls, and smart asses can be spotted from miles away so leave that home.
    As for not being able to make the trip from L.A. to Northern California, I say burn a vacation or personal leave day and get up there tomorrow. As a CalFire (CDF) firefighter you will be all over the state all summer anyway. I'm not impressed if a guy makes excuses.

#1's get hired but don't take it for granted.

Good luck and be safe. Now pack your gear for a quick trip.

Thread Information