Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Published FFs salaries

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/295563.html

The Buffalo News did a story about public safety salaries and highlighted a few of the top earners in the story. You see stories like that in every city.

But it also provided a link where you can look up how much every firefighter and police officer made last year -- broken down into base salary, overtime, holiday pay, working out of grade, attendance bonus, etc. Obviously, we're public employees and our income is the business of the taxpayers, but would you want your local paper to do something like this?

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

The Providence Journal did the same exact thing yesterday. Of course the biggest highlight was that out of the top 100 highest paid municipal employees in the state, 42 of them were Providence firefighters. This study was done for the year 2006, when Providence firefighters received a large back pay out. Barring that, probably only the chiefs would make the list.

Forum Member

They do it every year hear. We had to get an injunction to prevent them from publishing our home addresses - no sh*t.

Seeing as it is from the Buffalo News...........it does not surprise me at all.

It is on par with the Toledo Blade as two of the worst newspapers in the world. (My family has lived both places)

I am good friends with numerous Buffalo FF's, including a few very high ranking members and they will tell you straight up that they are making astronomical amounts because the city treats them like crap.

Granted on the other hand, if Toledo wouldnt have passed a 3/4% income tax levy last week they would have had to close 8 of 17 stations and lay off half of the fire and police departments.

But if you compare the two departments:

Toledo Buffalo
    Pop: 298,446 Pop: 279,745
    Area: 84.1 sq/mi Area: 52.5 sq/mi

525 Firefighters 766 Firefighters
    17 Engines 19 Engines
    4 Trucks 9 Trucks
    2 Rescue Trucks 1 Rescue Truck
    5 Ambulances

Buffalo is more dense but much smaller in terms of land and population.

Two horrible papers...........two underfunded and staffed departments.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Were about due for this sillyness.......just smile and tell them they should have taken the test......or my favorite...I was on line at the DMV when they drafted me in the nut house has a nut.......
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

I'd have no problems with the newspaper doing that here. We have very few opportunities for overtime and I think more people need to know we start firefighters at only $25,000/year.

Even if we were rolling in the dough ($100,000 in overtime? Wow.)... I wouldn't object because I'm a big believer in open government. The working conditions for public employees are positively impacted by open records and open meetings. We can't reap the rewards if we don't suffer some of the "consequences."

if they are upset about the overtime, then hire ones to staff the positions. If anything, the article argues FOR better staffing
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Its the freedom of information act these news papers can get what ever paper work they want on how money is spent and who its payed to. If you have a problem with them publishing your home address look into having your address listed as the fire dept. I know all of the police dept. around here allow for their officers to list their address as the dept so I don't see why it should be any diffrent for fire.

Some Guy

Yes I have. The Gannet new paper group in NJ publish every state worker, teacher, firefighter and cops salary by name and place of work. They still have only figured out how to post base pay but I here they are working on overtime and other add ins.

I should also say they put this crap on there online data bank.
    Last edited by KyleWickman; 03-11-2008 at 09:04 AM.
    This space for rent

The last time the local papers did a story on the top ten salaries in each city department, I was asked if I was mad about the info being out on page one.

"Damn skippy" I answered "because my name isn't there!"

As public employees, our salaries are a matter of public record.

You can't get angry about it, but you can state your side of the story... overtime becuase of lack of staffing, overtime due to major incidents, storm coverage, etc.

Those that bitch had the opportunity to take the test! ;!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-11-2008 at 10:45 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I don't have any heartburn about my salary, sick-leave usage, overtime etc, being in the paper. I just wish I had one of those cushy 100,000 per year Battalion Chief Jobs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    I don't have any heartburn about my salary, sick-leave usage, overtime etc, being in the paper. I just wish I had one of those cushy 100,000 per year Battalion Chief Jobs.

Take the test. This isnt a job that hands out rewards and gold stars, you have to earn the title!

Forum Member

It's common in my area too. Most of the time the articles read like these people are "doing something wrong" and don't really explain that the "high" wages are a result of those employees putting in lots of hours (in OT) and the city not hiring to fill the vacancies that create the need for all that OT.

MembersZone Subscriber

They did that in our 'burg a few years back too. I wished they'd do it again as last time we were told we couldn't say anything. I now keep a running tally of how many hours I work (straight + OT) and the date upon which I have worked a 40 hr. week year. Last year as of the first week in August I'd put in my 2080 hrs(52 40hr weeks). If they'd show the standard hourly rate it might help people put it in perspective. As others noted, with a few minutes of air time this can be turned around to show that better staffing would alleviate a bunch of OT.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Take the test. This isnt a job that hands out rewards and gold stars, you have to earn the title!
    I will - when I'm eligible. I'm sure you have similar rules, but here you have to be a company officer for 6 years to sit for the BC exam. Seeings how I have only been a Captain for ~ 10 months it will be a little while.

Honestly though, I still like to work for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitFF View Post
    Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/295563.html

The Buffalo News did a story about public safety salaries and highlighted a few of the top earners in the story. You see stories like that in every city.

But it also provided a link where you can look up how much every firefighter and police officer made last year -- broken down into base salary, overtime, holiday pay, working out of grade, attendance bonus, etc. Obviously, we're public employees and our income is the business of the taxpayers, but would you want your local paper to do something like this?
    I have only had two jobs in my life where my earnings where my salary/wages were not part of the public record. For the pension that comes with the job, and the public trust vested in me, it is worth the slight invasion of privacy. They can't post my investment earnings,yet, but one day I will be earning enough/hold enough responsibility that I will be required to provide a financial discloseur and then folks will atleast be able to figure out the range of my wealth/poverty.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Up until a few years ago, once a year the name, address, and salary of every employee of the State of Alabama was published in the Montgomery Advertiser. It wasn't the paper's idea - it was required by state law.

The legislature eliminated the requirement because of the cost of publication.

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    Up until a few years ago, once a year the name, address, and salary of every employee of the State of Alabama was published in the Montgomery Advertiser. It wasn't the paper's idea - it was required by state law.

The legislature eliminated the requirement because of the cost of publication.
    Should eliminate first names and adresses. But no reason they should not have it available easily to the public on the interweb.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    I have only had two jobs in my life where my earnings where my salary/wages were not part of the public record. For the pension that comes with the job, and the public trust vested in me, it is worth the slight invasion of privacy. They can't post my investment earnings,yet, but one day I will be earning enough/hold enough responsibility that I will be required to provide a financial discloseur and then folks will atleast be able to figure out the range of my wealth/poverty.
    I cannot think of a single good reason that anyone needs to know anything about my investment portfolio. Maybe in a back-ground examination, but as a public record no thanks.

The citizens have a right to know how much they pay me. Their right to know ends the second that it enters my bank account.

The only disclosures anyone should have to make are related to matters in which they have a personal stake. If I am a fire chief, and sell fire apparatus the citizens have a right to know that type of information. However, if I have a side business that does not do business with the Fire Department - it is none of their concern.
    Last edited by Geinandputitout; 03-11-2008 at 04:28 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ontario

They do this in Ontario, the name of any public sector worker earning over $100K is published, along with their job and agency they work for. Home addresses are not published, that is wrong in my opinion.

Thread Information