Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Glow sticks?

Forum Member

Cool Glow sticks?

Anyone else utilize these during interior ops? If so, in what application(s)?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DugdogFiredog View Post
    Yes!

Usually during search. If you used them to mark the fire, they would melt
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    Yes!

Usually during search. If you used them to mark the fire, they would melt
    Ha! I use them during search as well, was just wondering if there were any other applications of them out there that I don't know about.

Forum Member

They could be used to mark exterior hazards at night(especially when there is poor scene lighting). We use large orange cones ourselves(we light our scenes), but it would be another tool in the box.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

You can use them when laying out by dropping it or a lit road flare near the HUMAT. Another use for them is tape them to the tip of a ground ladder when there is little to no light on that side of the building. Also they make great light shows when at a rave........
    "There is no strong beer...only weak men"

SPH
    MCFRS Station 8C
    www.mcffpipesanddrums.org

Forum Member

i've never used a glowstick..Just curious but what purpose would it serve in a search?

MembersZone Subscriber

We attach them to our Ice suits, and Life jackets

makes good girls go bad

Good for rave.

Bad for fire.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I read a previous post on here where they used them if they entered through a window. The would jam it in the drywall below the sill to mark their point of entry/exit.
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    i've never used a glowstick..Just curious but what purpose would it serve in a search?
    To orient yourself when entering a room, leave it at the doorway, or as someone else mentioned, jam it into the drywall below the window sill if you enter through a window. I like the idea of marking the ground ladder in poorly lit areas, as I've tripped and stumbled over them a couple times over the years.
    Last edited by DugdogFiredog; 03-12-2008 at 01:09 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

we use them to mark entrance points in wild land; hydrant or water supply point.
    We run a very wildland/urban area so flares are a last effort. Driveways are also easy uses. They last 12 hours so if you pop one at night, only use for a few minutes pick it up and put back in your jacket; it will still be bright enough latter.
    It works great for water/ hydrant markers for the second engine. The 1st in driver drops it out the window straight down and it usually just spins a little and stays with in feet of the mark. We found that green works better than red. Personnel markers at night works good in the woods. just use your head and have a few colors available and let people know what color is what.

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DugdogFiredog View Post
    Ah! I've also used them attached to a traffic vest. And the raver kids do love em!

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a thought, but has anyone used them on a RIT\FAST team, to mark exits on the structure? Hang them from a string or wire inside a vented window or door for the inside crew(s).
    I have never done this, but after reading this thread I will talk to our training about this option.
    We could do this while laddering the building. Cost would be the only factor I would imagine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Acklan View Post
    Just a thought, but has anyone used them on a RIT\FAST team, to mark exits on the structure? Hang them from a string or wire inside a vented window or door for the inside crew(s).
    I have never done this, but after reading this thread I will talk to our training about this option.
    We could do this while laddering the building. Cost would be the only factor I would imagine.
    That's an interesting idea! Cost however, I don't think is a problem. As far as fire service tools go, they are cheap, cheap, cheap. I can pick up two of them at my local Walmart that last 8 hours for a buck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I use them when we put out the fire, I break em out and start break dancing.

Screw that high fiving crap... its time to dance
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post

Do you have your chauffer bust out a nice techno mix over the trucks PA

Why not just go one step above and dump it over the hydrant for the next due?? it shouldn't be that hard to find the glowing neon yellow fire hydrant to hook to

MembersZone Subscriber

I call dispatch and tell them to bust it out over the radio....

that way everyone in the city knows....

that JHR just put another one out.

Here's my tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0mx0...eature=related
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Traffic control

The large ones are great for traffic control and marking out landing zones. Another use is marking entry control points for hazmat decon zones.

Dave

Forum Member

Default ~~~

We gave them to little kids at safety days, until one bit the top off and ate the stuff inside

MembersZone Subscriber

We've used clip-on flashing LED lights....similar to a rear bicycle light, except yellow not red. They last a lot longer and are brighter...and reusable

MembersZone Subscriber

Where and how do you use them in a RIT\RIC\FAST incident?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post

Call 46B and ask them about the light stick dance.

Forum Member

Where and how do you use them in a RIT\RIC\FAST incident?
    We've talked here about clipping different color glow sticks to each side zipper of the RIT bag (high pressure/low pressure). That way you can find the zipper, you know what side you're on, and it gives a little extra light. Right now it's all just talk, though.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hmm.. I did not think of that but it sounds like a good idea.
    I like the small light idea mentioned earlier, but the glow stick could still have a place since they do not need batteries. I would think they would be less subject to failure, if stored for a prolonged length of time.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I just relied on my training - know were your at by counting doors, windows, stairs, etc. I guess I could also look into leaving a trail of M&M's!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information