Thread: Comb dept union

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Comb dept union

I am on a small combination dept with 7 full timers many part timers and vols. The full time program is only 2 years old. Lately we have had problems with payroll. Going Union was talked about. But it doesn't sound like it would be worth it. Does anyone have any insight or ideas. The city fire dept close has a union. But we get mixed messages from them because of the vols.

Forum Member

Do not listen to the volly's! They do not have your best interest in mind. Also they have nothing to do with your employment. Your employment is between you and the city. That's it, nothing more! To join a union or not join a union realy depends on what state you live in and if you have collective bargaining rights. The union, in my opinion, has a lot of benefits. However your issue with payroll may have nothing to do with you having a union or not. You don't specify what your payroll problem is. After you read this post go to www.iaff.org contact them and they will give you all the information you will need.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

Go IAFF, they have the resources and experience to deal with all of this information. What state are you in?

Forum Member

Thumbs up Do it

There are MANY combination dept's that have an IAFF local in place, some with fewer members than you. Contact the District VP for your area, they will put you in touch with a District Field Service Rep who can help you with organizing. They will also do your first contract for you, and make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.

Another option is to try and join an existing Local, like the city you said is close. You would be a seperate bargaining unit, but be able to draw on their experience and knowledge to get you started, then later go on your own if you want.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default collective bargaining

I live in Indiana I dont quite understand the "right to work state" and I was told we are not a collective bargaining state. How would that affect us? Thanks for your input

Forum Member

Google IAFF and then call them.

My suggestion would be trying to reach your District Vice President.

Rabble rouser

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ffhale160 View Post
    I live in Indiana I dont quite understand the "right to work state" and I was told we are not a collective bargaining state. How would that affect us? Thanks for your input
    Brother Hale,

Take it from another "right to work (for less)" statesman, contact the IAFF. Right-to-work just means that you cannot bargain directly with your employer... so go above your employer and get active in politics. Political Action is your best friend in a right-to-work state.

Trust me... I know of what I speak.

Here is the District VP for your area:

Thomas H. Miller
    8th District Vice President
    Represents: Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio
    (317) 357-5080 (Home)
    (317) 443-2130 (Cell)
    tmiller@iaff.org

Good luck and let me know if I can help further at JKobersteen@fairfaxfirefighters.org!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

If you are in a collective bargaining state then join the union as quickly as you can! It will be the best thing you ever did. Last time I typed here I told you to go to www.iaff.org Why didn't you? Contact them and they will hold your hand through the whole process.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffhale160 View Post
    Also - Right to work state status does not necessarily preclude you from bargaining with your employer. For instance Iowa is a right to work status, it does not stop employees from bargaining it just prevents locals from mandating membership to maintain employment. Most locals have other ways, for instance in my local we will not trade time with non-union members. This keeps our membership at 100% and it has been that way for the past 10 or so years.

Thread Information