Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Washington, DC 2008

MembersZone Subscriber BigBruno's Avatar

I'm guessing that the DC Convention Center is the only place they will be accepting applications, unless, of course someone has any additional info. I am just trying to get a feel for how long people will be camping out prior to the 14 June deadline. Thank goodness for annual leave!

MembersZone Subscriber

I spoke to one of the recruiters at the EMS Today Conference in Baltimore. He stated that they are still considering waiving the 3,000 application cap.

Here is the information for DC Fire.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

MembersZone Subscriber ltparadise's Avatar

Default medics

Saw a couple of people ask about Medics, I dont know the details but I am a medic and called in oct 07 they told me to mail my app in that week and i did as they said they were going to have a test that month for medis. I didnt hear back until about a month ago when they called for a copy of my medic license. The lady said they were going to have a test very soon, thats the last iv heard. thats all I know about that, interested to know if anyone has any further info on that. I think if you are a medic you can apply by mail anytime, just call to make sure of that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone from the area know if the convention center is near a Metro(subway) stop? I am from Milwaukee, WI and would like to use public transportation instead of renting a car. Also because I'll most likely be staying for a couple nights in a PG County firehouse or two.

Forum Member

Depending on where you're coming from, you can take the green line to the 7th St, Convention center stop, or the Red line to Gallery Place/ Chinatown and walk north a few blocks and you'll be there.
    http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

Forum Member

Default metro

There's a stop that stops at the convention center. It's on the green line and i believe the yellow line too. It's the 7th street/convention center stop

Forum Member

When do you think they will open the doors to the convention center to accept applications?

Quote Originally Posted by NVetro View Post
    When do you think they will open the doors to the convention center to accept applications?
    According to the flyer that saefirebird1856 posted, the doors will be opened and applications will be accepted at 10 AM.

I guarantee there will be tons of people there!
    Last edited by BigBruno; 03-30-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys. I'd probably be coming in on the Green Line anyway from PG County.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ltparadise View Post
    Saw a couple of people ask about Medics, I dont know the details but I am a medic and called in oct 07 they told me to mail my app in that week and i did as they said they were going to have a test that month for medis. I didnt hear back until about a month ago when they called for a copy of my medic license. The lady said they were going to have a test very soon, thats the last iv heard. thats all I know about that, interested to know if anyone has any further info on that. I think if you are a medic you can apply by mail anytime, just call to make sure of that.
    I have the medic flyer, but cannot post it until tomorrow. It states that they are expecting recruiting to begin in April 2008.

Default saefirebird1856

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the DCFD hiring flyer? I can not seem to find it online anywhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruno View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where did you find the DCFD hiring flyer? I can not seem to find it online anywhere.
    I stopped by the recruitment table at the EMS Today Conference in Baltimore. I spoke to one of the recruiters at the event, and picked up their flyers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Below are the testing subjects for the last Washington, DC exam.

• Verbal Comprehension
    • Verbal Expression
    • Problem Sensitivity
    • Deductive Reasoning
    • Inductive Reasoning
    • Information Ordering
    • Mathematical Reasoning
    • Number Facility
    • Selective Attention
    • Flexibility of Closure
    • Stress Tolerance
    • Team Orientation
    • Motivation/Attitude

www.fireprep.com will be offer exam prep for this exam when the written test is finalized.

Fireprep.com has over 250 pages of FREE information and career articles to help you reach your goal of becoming a firefighter. Go to www.fireprep.com and register for our free fireprep e-mail newsletter that currently has over 30,000 subscribers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by saefirebird1856 View Post
    I have the medic flyer, but cannot post it until tomorrow. It states that they are expecting recruiting to begin in April 2008.
    I'm alittle confused. Does this mean they are having a seperate entrance exame for already certified fire/medics??? I would definitely be interested in this if this was the case...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Paramedic Reciprocity

Does anyone know if you can only apply for the Firefighter/Paramedic position if you have National Reg, or would a DC paramedic license be acceptable?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    I'm alittle confused. Does this mean they are having a seperate entrance exame for already certified fire/medics??? I would definitely be interested in this if this was the case...
    They are currently recruiting medics into dual role Paramedic/Firefighter positions:

Follow the link (View Current Openings) to find the Paramedic / Firefighter posting.

https://erecruit.pshcm.asmp.dc.gov/p...NAVSTACK=Clear

Details:

Job Title:
    PARAMEDIC FIREFIGHTER

Reference:

General Job Information
    "Pay Plan, Series & Grade: FS-0081-1C
    Salary Range: $48,731- $69,998
    Closing Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2008
    Tour of Duty: Rotating Shifts
    Area of Consideration: OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC

Number of Vacancies: Several
    Agency: Fire & EMS Services Department -FB
    Duration of Appointment: Permanent
    Collective Bargaining Unit (Union): This position is in the collective bargaining unit represented by IAFF Local 36 and you may be required to pay an agency service fee through direct payroll deduction.
    Opening date: Thursday, March 27, 2008
    Duties
    Brief Description of Duties: Paramedic/Firefighter is assigned to one of approximately thirty-three fire stations throughout the District of Columbia. Incumbent will primarily travel by Medic Unit or Fire Unit in a prompt and efficient manner in response to calls for emergency medical care of critically ill or injured patients. Incumbent assesses, evaluates and stabilizes patient's condition at the site of the emergency. Stabilizes critically ill and injured patients through the application of advanced life support techniques such as intubation, peripheral intravenous insertion, defibrillation and administration of pharmaceutical agents, etc. Reports verbally and in writing, observations and emergency care given to the patient at the scene and in transit to the receiving facility for record keeping and diagnostics purposes. Drives and operates firefighting apparatus of significant complexity, including pumpers, aerial ladder trucks and rescue trucks. Removes persons from fires, entrapments or other hazardous situations. Incumbent makes forcible entries. Operates hose lines and hydrant systems.
    Qualifications
    MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: TO QUALIFY FOR APPOINTMENT, ALL APPLICANTS MUST:

* Be a U.S. citizen at the time of appointment
    * Be at least 19 years of age and must not have reached his or
    her 31st birthday on the closing date of this position vacancy
    announcement
    * Possess a high school diploma or a certificate of equivalency
    (GED) issued by a recognized department of education or have
    at least one (1) year of experience as a sworn member of
    principal municipal firefighting force of a city with a population of
    500,000 or more persons
    * Pass an assembled examination
    * Must possess a current valid NREMT- Paramedic
    certification
    * Pass a scheduled physical ability test (PAT)
    * Pass a urinalysis test for absence of substance or drug abuse
    * Pass a thorough medical examination (including x-rays,
    hearing , vision, and other laboratory tests)
    * Pass a thorough background investigation of character and
    personal history (e.g., prior employers, law enforcement
    agencies, etc.) to determine suitability for appointment as a
    Firefighter (Paramedic).

OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Applicants must be proficient in the use and comprehension of the English language. Persons with foreign language skills are encouraged to apply.

Hiring Bonus

A $7,000 dollar hiring bonus will be awarded to all newly hired employees. Before receiving a hiring bonus, the employee must enter into a service agreement with DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department for a period of two (2) years. For the purpose of the Hiring Bonus Program the phrase "newly hired" refers to an individual's initial (First) appointment with the District government, or reappointment after a break in service of more than three (3) years. An employee who moves from a District government agency to another without a break in service will not be considered "newly hired" by the agency he/she moves to and, for that reason, will not be eligible to receive a hiring bonus with that agency.
    Ranking Factors

Conditions of Employment
    Other Significant Factors: Clinical skill in the knowledge and application of pre-hospital basic and advance life support emergency medical care should be performed at an expert level of competency. Examples include: (a) expertise in the identification and interpretation of life threatening symptoms, (b) ability to record patient history and provide appropriate care and treatment, (c) experience in working under severe environmental and physical conditions.

The incumbent must successfully complete the Basic Probation Training Course and Evaluation Program, and will maintain the following minimum certifications for the duration of employment: Firefighter I and II, hazardous materials awareness and operations, or Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic (EMT-P), cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) Basic Life Support card, and Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) card and any other certifications that may subsequently be required to maintain qualification as a Paramedic/Firefighter. Must maintain ability to pass self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) face-piece fit testing as required by OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard 29CFR1910.134. Must maintain physical fitness as defined by ability to successfully complete annual timed fitness testing via job-related fitness test.

Maintenance of a current valid driver's license is required
    Residency Requirement
    Residency Preference Amendment Act of 1998: An applicant for a position in the Career Service or for an attorney position (DS-905) in the Excepted Service who is a bona fide resident of the District of Columbia AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION, may claim a hiring preference over a non-resident applicant. To be granted preference, an applicant must: (1) be qualified for the position; and (2) claim preference at the time of application. Except for employees entitled by law to preference, preference will not be granted unless the claim is made at the time of application.
    Information to Applicants
    Veterans Preference: Applicants claiming veterans preference must submit official proof at the time of application.
    Drug-Free Workplace: Pursuant to the requirements of the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, the individual selected to fill this position will, as a condition of employment, be required to notify his/her immediate supervisor, in writing, not later than five (5) days after conviction of or a plea of guilty to a violation of any criminal drug statute occurring in the workplace.
    How to Apply
    Where to Apply: Candidates can apply online by selecting "Apply for this job" in the vacancy announcement. Candidates may also apply in person by completing a DC 2000 job application at the D.C. Office of Human Resources located at the Reeves Center: 2000 14th Street, N.W.; 4th Floor; Washington, D.C. 20009. DC 2000 employment applications may also be mailed to the Reeves Center address by the closing date of the position.

Contact Information: All inquiries related to employment and job applications should be directed to HR Answers at (202) 442-9700.
    Disposition of Resume: Resumes received outside the area of consideration and/or after the closing date will not be given consideration. You must resubmit your resume to receive consideration for any subsequent advertised position vacancies.
    Closing Statement
    Job Offers: Official Job Offers are made by the D.C. Office of Human Resources Only.
    EEO Statement: The District of Columbia Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
    Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, matriculation, physical handicap, or political affiliation.
    Notice of Non-Discrimination: In accordance with the D.C. Human Rights Act of 1977, as amended, D.C. Official Code, Section 2-1401.01 et. seq., (Act) the District of Columbia does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, disability, source of income, or place of residence or business. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination which is also prohibited by the Act. In addition, harassment based on any of the above protected categories is prohibited by the Act. Discrimination in violation of the Act will not be tolerated. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action.

Forum Member

Default applications

Will May 15th be the only day you can pick up applications??

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Will May 15th be the only day you can pick up applications??
    I'm pretty sure it said you can print them off the internet. You don't have to pick them up in person. You will only have to drop them off in person.

Forum Member

do they only want NR-p's? or can you have your I?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone heard when the next class is to start?

Thread Information