Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Washington, DC 2008

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone have any recommendations on when to get there to hand in my app? I've never had to do something like this before and I'll be coming from Milwaukee, WI. So if I'm flying all the way over, I definitely don't want to get there too late. I mean I'll stand there all night if I have to, but what would be needed?

MembersZone Subscriber

They released the info today on their site. I don't see anything about being in the first 3000. It says just be there between 9am-3pm. Did the drop the 3000 cap?

Forum Member

Default 3000 cap

they may have...when i talked to recruitment last week the guy said it was a good possibility they may take all applications since they are changing the way they are accepting application. he said they weren't entirely sure yet though

Forum Member

Guys/Gals,

Maybe i'm missing something, but I cannot find the application at the DC fire department website as stated in image posted 1 or 2 pages back. It says:

"Applications can be downloaded from the DC Department Human Resources website
    (http:/dchr.dc.gov)"

I do not see anything there related to the EMT/Firefighter position, if you click on Employment Opportunity i can search for the req but it wants me to do the standard process to apply for any position...where can I can download the app and print it out?

Forum Member

the general application is what you need to print out. i called and asked recruitment

Forum Member

Is this the general application form? the DC200:

http://dchr.dc.gov/dcop/frames.asp?d...reference2.pdf

There are 3 applications listed here:

http://dchr.dc.gov/dcop/cwp/view,a,1216,q,528944.asp

Forum Member

DC2000 is the proper form to apply for employment. The residency preference form does not apply to non-residents, and the volunteer form does you no good if you want to be paid.

Forum Member

The "Ranking Factor" does not apply to the fire dept application correct? The announcement does not have any information related to the ranking factor, the directions say it should. I assume this is a generic area for other positions.

Forum Member

I gave a call to the DC Fire/HR office and they said they did not know what the "Ranking Factor" is on the DC2000 application and to leave it blank as there have been several people that called up regarding this......

I'm personally am not taking this as a final answer lol, the last thing I want is to hand in this app with this section not completed and be denied. I'll get more info soon i hope.

Forum Member

With the mass of hiring the DCFD has been doing will they still be hiring off of this new test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouseoflp View Post
    well i can tell you for a fact the medics do ride engines, there is a plus and minus to this, i am only an emt-b, dc only staffs for now 2-2, 1 chauffeur, officer and 2 on the backstep, at full staff an engine company will be staffed with 7 guys, but only four ride the engine, so the others get detailed out and have to keep track of details, as a medic you will be riding on a paramedic engine, which means you show up to work and you never get detailed and you always ride your piece, if you show up early to grab the line position, granted there is no rookie on your step, you will always have the line (now you could be a good guy and after 12 hours of your 24 shift you could give it up, but thats if your a team player) thats one plus of being a medic on this job but it always brings some hostility, because, out of all your backstep guys, when your at work it only leaves one open spot to ride your engine (DC runs a lineman and a layout man on the back step) so the other men are always getting detailed, some guys get ****ed at this some dont, this is one way to promote getting medics to the dept, plus there is a rumor floating around about a sign on bonus, but that hasnt happend yet. a negative side of being a medic, is you will never ride a truck company or go to a rescue company, for now, you will only be an engine man, now this is only my opinion, but a negative about being a medic, is that you never get detailed so you never meet the other men of this great dept, and when your name floats around whether it be a positive or a negative no one will ever know who the f&ck you are, and like i said before, if you think you are some truck man hero, you will never be able to ride one, so take this post as you will, as for renewing your license i have no idea, i do know you cant let it expire or crap happens to you, so good luck

Last edited by CaponeCEO; 05-31-2009 at 09:37 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone gotten their application filled out? Even after making some phone calls, I still do not feel very comfortable leaving the two pages of ranking factors blank.

MembersZone Subscriber

I applied to DC as a Medic/FF online, but I have not heard anything from them yet. Anyone know how long they usually take to even get back to the applicant?

Forum Member

Default Trip to DC?

Do you have to hand the application in in person? or can it be mailed in?

Forum Member

In person, June 14th at the convention center.
    Matthew Pullen
    Firefighter
    Levittown Fire Company No.1
    www.levittownfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Question a few questions

any information on the ranking factor section of the application? im not really sure what to put in this section, and also i have my certs and such will they be taking or looking at them and also a resume? this is the first time for dc for me and i dont want to look like a fool......thanks for the help!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New EMS Policy For DCFD?????

I am applying for the test this month. I would like some clarification from a
    DC Fireman about FF/EMT's and ambulance duty. Do you ride it and for how long? Is it only if your in a house with a bus or can you detailed to one?
    Thank you very much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Test taking strategies and exam prep for the 2008 Washington DC exm can be found at the links below

Test taking strategies
    http://www.fireprep.com/test-taking_...s_for_fir.html

Exam prep
    http://www.fireprep.com/firefighter_...ngton_dc_.html

Good luck !!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default DCFD written

I have heard that this is an extremely hard written exam? I have taken several civil service tests and this is aparently not like any other test, is this true? Has anybody out there used that test-prep site and bought the materials? Was is helpful? Thank you.

Forum Member

Default the best

i used don mcnea test prep, it helped me out tremendously and got me the job, if i had to recomend one, that would have to be it

MembersZone Subscriber

i used don mcnea test prep, it helped me out tremendously and got me the job, if i had to recomend one, that would have to be it
    i just oredered from them....i hope your right...thanks...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default powerhouseoflp

Thank you for the information. In addition to the written test package (for DCFD), would you reccommend a psych exam/interview prep from Don McNea as well? And if so, which psych package?

I am psyched about handing my application in!

Forum Member

Default i dont know

i never ever used a psych test manual, i just went in and was honest, just make sure you dont make yourself look like you are a drunk, drug addict, or person who hears voices in your head, i will let you know that the psych test is around 700 questions and is an all day affair, because after you finish your test, they grade it or look it over, then you go and sit in front of a shrink and he evaluates the questions that came up "suspicious". But the psych is a long way away, just make sure you get to the convention center early camp out if you have to, thats what i did, from 7pm the night before in cold *** march weather, i was the 20th person in line. they said there is no limit on how many apps. they will be taking, but just to be sure get there early. make sure you have two forms of ID, when i handed mine in they didnt give you anything about handing your application in,(like a reciept or anything) so make sure you have two copies, i was so paranoid that boo accepting the applications would lose it, she just looked at my app, looked at my id's, stamped my app, and said good luck we will mail you your test day, and off i went, so good luck to everyone, and see ya on the job

Forum Member

In my experience there is no advantage to getting to the writen test site early. In fact it can be a major disadvantage. Most departments want as many applicants as possible and will not turn you away as long as show up before the time that they said they will no longer except applications. In bigger cities it is a major production that takes alot of time. It makes no sense to wait in line for 3 hours, be the first one in and have to wait another 2 hours while they sign in the other 3000 peolpe. Not to mention the half hour it takes them to get everybody to fill out their test form (and give instructions for the test). Then you have a 2-3 hour test to take. I did that my first year. I was totally focused and ready. By the time it was actually time to take the test, I was restless, starving and completly annoyed by the amount of time I had been there. Watching the few last people walk in (with the same focus and freshness I had 5 hours earlier) and wait less than one hour made me realize that my eagerness to get there early was no advantage at all. These last few times I made sure to get there no earlier than one hour. When I got the test I was ready to rock and roll. The results reflected the same.

Just my take on the topic. Good Luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

powerhouse i take it by your post your on the job? congrats. i have a queation about the application, it has a part about ranking factors. im not sure what to put in that area if you could shine abit of light on it? thanks for the help and keep safe thank you.

Thread Information