Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Washington, DC 2008

Couple questions if anyone knows. What is the starting salery for ff/emt and does that salery start at academy or does it start when you graduate?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PoconoFF View Post
    Couple questions if anyone knows. What is the starting salery for ff/emt and does that salery start at academy or does it start when you graduate?
    Money grubbers need not apply.

MembersZone Subscriber BigBruno's Avatar

I believe the current starting salary is in the $44k range. I am sure someone currently with the department can give a more accurate figure.

Like most departments, the salary should start while in rookie school. A former co-worker of mine went through rookie school last year and he received his paycheck while in school.
    Last edited by BigBruno; 04-19-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

starting salary is 44,301 for new recruits who are emts, and it does start in the academy, but if you are goin to start the academy plan on saving enough money for at least 3-4 weeks, you wont see your first check until then, plus just hope to god the fools at paperwork dont mess your paperwork up cause it can take even longer, show up with a voided check as well if you want direct deposit, the first day is all about paperwork, but dont be an idiot show up early, sleep in your car if you have to but dont start out being a ***** bag cause there are plenty on the dept

Thanks for the real replys. Just wondering because FDNY starts you out at a very low wage through academy then you jump up when you graduate. I just cant take a huge paycut from my current salery. Gotta think of my family too and not just of myself. Right Teabag.

Forum Member

can anyone truthfully tell me if dcfrs is still as great as it was in the past? I'm planning on applying regardless, but I"ve heard that a good amount of people, already ff's, are very displeased with the politics. I have heard many changes are being made to the dept. and am now curious if it's the best place to attempt to get into. I've also applied to Moco, Fairfax, and am planning on applying to to Fred and Howard. Just wondering if dcfrs is would be a good place to work. Any advice?

MembersZone Subscriber BigBruno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy17 View Post
    can anyone truthfully tell me if dcfrs is still as great as it was in the past? I'm planning on applying regardless, but I"ve heard that a good amount of people, already ff's, are very displeased with the politics. I have heard many changes are being made to the dept. and am now curious if it's the best place to attempt to get into. I've also applied to Moco, Fairfax, and am planning on applying to to Fred and Howard. Just wondering if dcfrs is would be a good place to work. Any advice?
    My young friend, no matter where one earns their green, that said department or organization will have their fair share of issues or unfavorable policy changes. One must take into consideration all of the positive aspects of the fire departments they wish to work for.

Unfortunately, we live in a society that concentrates on negativity rather that putting things into perspective by considering all the great things about a person, an issue, or a fire department. This way of thinking, in my opinion, stems from the media always reporting negative news. When was the last time that you heard on the news of all the progress that our men and women of the Armed Forces have made in the Middle East as opposed to insurgent violence or civilian deaths? When was the last time you heard on the news of brave firefighters making multiple rescues or saving a piece of property as opposed to the latest scandal? Hopefully, you understand what I am trying to emphasize.

Politics? I can not think of a workplace that does not suffer from politics, especially fire/EMS departments. If politics are that big of an issue to some, then they should sow their oats elsewhere.

DCFD is a fantastic department. The department stands high as one of the best in the nation. They are a very traditional, agressive and dynamic fire department and should be relished and applauded for these qualities.

Remember, a career fire department is a para-military organization. They are bound to upset some with politics and regulations.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been looking into DC for a little while now, and I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer. I am a Medic, how does DCFD work with their FF/Medics, do they work the Medic engines only or do they do time on the ambulance? I know other department like Baltimore City; the FF/Medics do two shifts on the Engine and two shifts on the Bus (ambulance). And does anyone know how the department is with helping Medics recertify their Paramedic when it comes time to refresh?

Forum Member

Thanks for the real replys. Just wondering because FDNY starts you out at a very low wage through academy then you jump up when you graduate. I just cant take a huge paycut from my current salery. Gotta think of my family too and not just of myself. Right Teabag.
    You are worrying about furnishing your home when you still got a pile of wood and bricks laying in font of you. Worry about making the cut first. Don't worry about how much you feel like getting paid. There are droves of men who will gladly step right around you. All they care about is getting their dream job.

Forum Member

Default I have been looking into DC for a little while now, and I have a few questions that h

well i can tell you for a fact the medics do ride engines, there is a plus and minus to this, i am only an emt-b, dc only staffs for now 2-2, 1 chauffeur, officer and 2 on the backstep, at full staff an engine company will be staffed with 7 guys, but only four ride the engine, so the others get detailed out and have to keep track of details, as a medic you will be riding on a paramedic engine, which means you show up to work and you never get detailed and you always ride your piece, if you show up early to grab the line position, granted there is no rookie on your step, you will always have the line (now you could be a good guy and after 12 hours of your 24 shift you could give it up, but thats if your a team player) thats one plus of being a medic on this job but it always brings some hostility, because, out of all your backstep guys, when your at work it only leaves one open spot to ride your engine (DC runs a lineman and a layout man on the back step) so the other men are always getting detailed, some guys get ****ed at this some dont, this is one way to promote getting medics to the dept, plus there is a rumor floating around about a sign on bonus, but that hasnt happend yet. a negative side of being a medic, is you will never ride a truck company or go to a rescue company, for now, you will only be an engine man, now this is only my opinion, but a negative about being a medic, is that you never get detailed so you never meet the other men of this great dept, and when your name floats around whether it be a positive or a negative no one will ever know who the f&ck you are, and like i said before, if you think you are some truck man hero, you will never be able to ride one, so take this post as you will, as for renewing your license i have no idea, i do know you cant let it expire or crap happens to you, so good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone have any recommendations on when to get there to hand in my app? I've never had to do something like this before and I'll be coming from Milwaukee, WI. So if I'm flying all the way over, I definitely don't want to get there too late. I mean I'll stand there all night if I have to, but what would be needed?

MembersZone Subscriber

They released the info today on their site. I don't see anything about being in the first 3000. It says just be there between 9am-3pm. Did the drop the 3000 cap?

Forum Member

Default 3000 cap

they may have...when i talked to recruitment last week the guy said it was a good possibility they may take all applications since they are changing the way they are accepting application. he said they weren't entirely sure yet though

Forum Member

Guys/Gals,

Maybe i'm missing something, but I cannot find the application at the DC fire department website as stated in image posted 1 or 2 pages back. It says:

"Applications can be downloaded from the DC Department Human Resources website
    (http:/dchr.dc.gov)"

I do not see anything there related to the EMT/Firefighter position, if you click on Employment Opportunity i can search for the req but it wants me to do the standard process to apply for any position...where can I can download the app and print it out?

Forum Member

the general application is what you need to print out. i called and asked recruitment

Forum Member

Is this the general application form? the DC200:

http://dchr.dc.gov/dcop/frames.asp?d...reference2.pdf

There are 3 applications listed here:

http://dchr.dc.gov/dcop/cwp/view,a,1216,q,528944.asp

Forum Member

DC2000 is the proper form to apply for employment. The residency preference form does not apply to non-residents, and the volunteer form does you no good if you want to be paid.

Forum Member

The "Ranking Factor" does not apply to the fire dept application correct? The announcement does not have any information related to the ranking factor, the directions say it should. I assume this is a generic area for other positions.

Forum Member

I gave a call to the DC Fire/HR office and they said they did not know what the "Ranking Factor" is on the DC2000 application and to leave it blank as there have been several people that called up regarding this......

I'm personally am not taking this as a final answer lol, the last thing I want is to hand in this app with this section not completed and be denied. I'll get more info soon i hope.

Forum Member

With the mass of hiring the DCFD has been doing will they still be hiring off of this new test?

Thread Information