Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 87 FirstFirst ... 26333435363738394686 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Washington, DC 2008

Forum Member

I'm already a gym rat to begin with but now it's going to be my home haha...I hope that all you guys get "THAT" phone call!!!

Forum Member

Thats AWESOME!! Congrats!!!!!!!!! I hope to see you there...i did my psych today...and still gotta do Physical friday...so im a ways away...but thats freaking great!!!!
    -Ron Stanton

Avondale Fire Company
    Chester County Station 23

visit our page @ http://www.avondalefirecompany.org

DCFD
    Engine Co. 11
    www.houseofflame.com

Forum Member

Is DC experiencing a shortage of Medics?? I see they have a 7k sign on bonus. I have never seen a sign on bonus for ff/paramedics, usally just nurses in the hospital setting and it's especially strange with all the budget cuts being faced everywhere.

I'm NREMT-P with a couple years of experience and college degree living in Virginia, do I have a good shot at this? I just applied for the paramedic/ff position online. What's the timeline from applying (assuming I pass all the tests) to an offer of employment? 3 months, 6 months, a year?

MembersZone Subscriber

So HPFD you mentioned April 27. Is that the start date of the academy?

Forum Member

I am not sure because they gave me 3 dates to choose from. March 30 April 13th or April 27th...I will find out more when I get my letter and when I do I will post any new information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just wanted to congraulate everybody on getting the"job". Little of subject here, but I was wondering if anyone has herd of them having a entrance test for 2009 or will it be more than likely in 2010. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

My guess is late summer - early fall of 2010 at the earliest.

"WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) - The Washington Post reports that DC Mayor Adrian Fenty plans to lay off hundreds of city employees in order to balance the budget.
    No firm numbers were given.
    The layoffs reportedly will be made over the next several months and will affect many government agencies.
    The job cuts are part of a new budget proposal Fenty will deliver to the DC Council for approval.
    The council has the option of making changes to Fenty's budget before sending it to Congress for final approval.
    Written by David Beardsley
    9NEWS NOW"

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...3147&catid=158
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

Forum Member

Great!! lol. That cant be good.
    -Ron Stanton

Avondale Fire Company
    Chester County Station 23

visit our page @ http://www.avondalefirecompany.org

DCFD
    Engine Co. 11
    www.houseofflame.com

MembersZone Subscriber

This from NBC news..."Numbers for the District's 2010 budget are in, and they don't look good.

There will be 776 layoffs through "organizational realignment", another 398 jobs eliminated through attrition and yet another 458 vacant positions will be eliminated. That brings it to a total of 1,632 jobs cut in 2010.

But that's not all. A lot of government services will change.

* All DMV registrations will be done online or by mail.
    * Eliminate safety inspections for most passenger/private vehicles.
    * Charge parking meter fees on Saturdays (many are now free).
    * Charge higher consumer and regulatory fees on permits and zoning changes.
    * Tougher efforts to verify D.C. residency for those receiving health services.

Officials said that without federal stimulus money expected to arrive -- about $600 million -- more severe cuts in services would have been required."

I've done a lot of looking around and haven't been able to find exactly where they are cutting the jobs...hopefully its not the FD.

MembersZone Subscriber

Doesn't look like they are cutting from the FD since they are planning on what seems like 3 classes. One guy I know from my psych/med just texted me saying that he got the job today. So hopefully I'll get a call next week. He is a paramedic so I'm sure I've still got a little more waiting to do. Of course it's a Friday so I have a few days of waiting ahead of me.

MembersZone Subscriber

i'll be really shocked if they get to 300 on this list.....

SMH....

MembersZone Subscriber

I read somewhere else on the actual report that even though they are cutting city jobs, FD is getting a 4.9% increase in the budget. So it looks good.

Forum Member

I am just waiting my Med/Psych exams, hopefully within 2 weeks. I talked to recruiting and they said that they are def hiring and that when they have an official "academy start" it is for the FF/EMT's, and PM/FF's can be added in whenever, since the beginning of the academy is all EMS related stuff. If they didn't lose spots through attrition then they will have to hire FF/EMT's to replace retirements and such, so keep your heads up it will happen. The budget isn't crippling yet, with yet being the key word

Forum Member

Default sorry for this post...

Thought this is an information board, so i thought i would share some, whether it be good or bad. Take this how you will....

WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) - Just informed from an apparent high ranking fire department official that the next couple of recruit classes at the D.C. Fire Dept. training academy, located in southwest DC has been cancelled and the current class put on hold. Currently, the fire dept. has recruit class 358 walking the halls and on the verge of graduation. "We are in the holding pattern for the graduation of class 358, and have cancelled future classes due to the mayors orders" says a fire dept official. We will be watching this story as the news breaks. It's apparent that budget woes have hit the metro area. No word on the Metroplitan Police Dept. yet according to police chief Cathy Lanier.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hopefully its just a rumor.
    Last edited by clark918; 03-24-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouseoflp View Post
    Thought this is an information board, so i thought i would share some, whether it be good or bad. Take this how you will....

WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) - Just informed from an apparent high ranking fire department official that the next couple of recruit classes at the D.C. Fire Dept. training academy, located in southwest DC has been cancelled and the current class put on hold. Currently, the fire dept. has recruit class 358 walking the halls and on the verge of graduation. "We are in the holding pattern for the graduation of class 358, and have cancelled future classes due to the mayors orders" says a fire dept official. We will be watching this story as the news breaks. It's apparent that budget woes have hit the metro area. No word on the Metroplitan Police Dept. yet according to police chief Cathy Lanier.
    Class 358 has been extended until around June, which would go hand and hand with what you heard, but at my CPAT last weekend we were told that they are def still hiring Medics and trying to get them rolling as fast as possible. So who knows whats true and whats not. From what I hear about DC they change alot of things in a split seconds notice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Only medics?

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouseoflp View Post

Link for the article?
    I just spent 10 minutes scouring www.wusa9.com with nothing found.

So far, on this board, you claimed you were already on the job, then that you got 10 legacy points on this test and an 88%, then that you actually got 74.8% and are sitting at 2980; you don't have the best track record of honesty:
    http://forums.firehouse.com/search.php?searchid=742746
    Last edited by MattyS; 03-24-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: grammar
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

Quote Originally Posted by dcfdsid View Post
    If you dont know what you are talking about then shut the **** up. Sit back and share your rankings and ideas about getting in shape but do not pontificate or opine about **** that you have no knowledge of...Dont think that you can just post on here and we will not know who you are once, if ever, you are hired.
    Sid

Something for us hopefulls to keep in mind...this was from back in November and I would think the fact remains that what gets said here, doesn't just stay here, and we are being watched before our faces ever get seen...
    KTF | DTRT

Thread Information