Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Washington, DC 2008

MembersZone Subscriber

Default powerhouseoflp

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouseoflp View Post
    i never ever used a psych test manual, i just went in and was honest, just make sure you dont make yourself look like you are a drunk, drug addict, or person who hears voices in your head, i will let you know that the psych test is around 700 questions and is an all day affair, because after you finish your test, they grade it or look it over, then you go and sit in front of a shrink and he evaluates the questions that came up "suspicious". But the psych is a long way away, just make sure you get to the convention center early camp out if you have to, thats what i did, from 7pm the night before in cold *** march weather, i was the 20th person in line. they said there is no limit on how many apps. they will be taking, but just to be sure get there early. make sure you have two forms of ID, when i handed mine in they didnt give you anything about handing your application in,(like a reciept or anything) so make sure you have two copies, i was so paranoid that boo accepting the applications would lose it, she just looked at my app, looked at my id's, stamped my app, and said good luck we will mail you your test day, and off i went, so good luck to everyone, and see ya on the job
    Thank you very much for the info. So, in a nutshell, the psychologist is looking for consistency? I am going down two days early, overkill...maybe, but this is an oppurtunity of a lifetime!

By the way, how do you like working in SE?
    Last edited by BigBruno; 06-07-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling

MembersZone Subscriber

Default nozzlenut264

Quote Originally Posted by nozzlenut264 View Post
    powerhouse i take it by your post your on the job? congrats. i have a queation about the application, it has a part about ranking factors. im not sure what to put in that area if you could shine abit of light on it? thanks for the help and keep safe thank you.
    I spoke with Human Resources last week and asked Carmen that very question.

The ranking factors do not apply to this position so the applicant is to leave this section blank.

Also, does anyone know if a resume and copies of certifications are to be included with the application on the 14th?

See you down there!

Forum Member

To answer your question i am on the job, have been for close to 2 years now (trust me i dont have that 2/20 syndrome) just tryin to help out fellas get the best job in the world, and i cant complain, ive made alot of great friends, have met alot of great fireman, and have been taught alot of great skills and tactics from a bunch of great guys, fire and ems, its a great all around dept. no matter what rumors you hear, its still to me the greatest job in the world, i wouldnt change it for the world, as for working in south east, you catch alot of unique calls, i love south east, not to take away from working in NE or NW up in engine 11 or 6 engine area, im at 8 engine its a great house, you travel all over catch alot of boxes, and its not a paramedic engine so its even better, but i digress, as for the application process, make at least two copies of everything. you never know who is going to lose somthing or who is goin to say you never handed it in, as for previous certifications dont worry about bringing them, if there is a spot on the application to list all of your certs, go ahead and do it, if i can remember im pretty sure there is, bring your certs when you get schedualed for your blue book (background investigation) and a little hint keep your license point free and your **** drug free, or see ya later, as for the ranking factors, ive seen guys on here keep asking the same question, LEAVE IT BLANK IT DOESNT CONCERN YOU, but like i said good luck to everyone, and dont let rumors discourage you, its still the best job even if you have to ride the ambo, its in your job description.

Forum Member

Just to clarify, the only thing that will be handed in is the application itself right? Also does anyone know what the Vacancy Announcement Number is?
    Matthew Pullen
    Firefighter
    Levittown Fire Company No.1
    www.levittownfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

are they still accepting only 3,000 applications....?

Forum Member

Default 3000?

I'm from the area and i heard a rumor that they were really only taking 1000 and not 3000. Not sure on the validity of it but just FYI

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    I'm from the area and i heard a rumor that they were really only taking 1000 and not 3000. Not sure on the validity of it but just FYI
    i'm coming from NYC...so i guess i'm going to have to camp out.....to make sure i'm with in the 1,000 applications.....oh well...

any hotels near the CONVENTION CENTER?

Forum Member

Renaissance and Grand Hyatt are both a block or two away.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Renaissance and Grand Hyatt are both a block or two away.
    thank you....

MembersZone Subscriber

I called and asked. There is no limit to the applications that they are taking. If you are in line at the time where they take the(9-3), you will be fine. If there is still a line at 3:30 and you jump in, they will not accept it. So show up on time and you should be fine.

There's a hostel about a block or two from the Convention Center. I'm actually considering that. It's only about $30. Not as nice as a hotel, but I fugure I'll only be in there for a small amount of time.

Forum Member

Is 10766 the Vacancy announcement number?
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I called and asked. There is no limit to the applications that they are taking. If you are in line at the time where they take the(9-3), you will be fine. If there is still a line at 3:30 and you jump in, they will not accept it. So show up on time and you should be fine.

There's a hostel about a block or two from the Convention Center. I'm actually considering that. It's only about $30. Not as nice as a hotel, but I fugure I'll only be in there for a small amount of time.
    yeah i'm looking for a place to stay for a while i'm there....only for a day tho....i'm going to look into this hostel too....

Forum Member

Anyone getting "dressed up" to drop off the app, Im picturing this being a get in get out quick sort of deals but am not sure. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RngrVnc33 View Post
    Anyone getting "dressed up" to drop off the app, Im picturing this being a get in get out quick sort of deals but am not sure. Thanks
    i'm not...your just handing in a application....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post
    yeah i'm looking for a place to stay for a while i'm there....only for a day tho....i'm going to look into this hostel too....
    I'm staying at HI - Washington DC, USA. Try searching for that on google. It's only $29/night if you stay in a 10-person room. I've never stayed in one before, but I figure I'll only be in the room for a few hours of sleep it's no big deal. It's about two blocks from the Convention Center.

MembersZone Subscriber

Clark918, you have a PM from me.

Mack

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cellarnozzle View Post
    Is 10766 the Vacancy announcement number?
    Thanks
    That is correct. I confirmed this with Human Resources.

MembersZone Subscriber

What time is everyone planning on showing up to get in line?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fannin View Post
    What time is everyone planning on showing up to get in line?
    I posted this earlier in the week but was still on "post review" so it got buried.
    So I thought I'd repost it. I'm not in your area at all but when I tested I learned this:

In my experience there is no advantage to getting to the writen test site early. In fact it can be a major disadvantage. Most departments want as many applicants as possible and will not turn you away as long as show up before the time that they said they will no longer except applications. In bigger cities it is a major production that takes alot of time. It makes no sense to wait in line for 3 hours, be the first one in and have to wait another 2 hours while they sign in the other 3000 peolpe. Not to mention the half hour it takes them to get everybody to fill out their test form (and give instructions for the test). Then you have a 2-3 hour test to take. I did that my first year. I was totally focused and ready. By the time it was actually time to take the test, I was restless, starving and completly annoyed by the amount of time I had been there. Watching the few last people walk in (with the same focus and freshness I had 5 hours earlier) and wait less than one hour made me realize that my eagerness to get there early was no advantage at all. These last few times I made sure to get there no earlier than one hour. When I got the test I was ready to rock and roll. The results reflected the same.

Just my take on the topic. Good Luck.

Forum Member

This is not for the written test, this is only to hand in the application. I will be arriving at the convention center around 2am most likely. Traveling down from PA with about 15 guys in tow.
    Matthew Pullen
    Firefighter
    www.levittownfire.com

Forum Member

I'll be there around 9pm Friday night

MembersZone Subscriber

Is there really a point on showing up 12 hours early? When I called they said that it won't matter. You can show up at noon and still get your app in. I was thinking of going at like 7.

Forum Member

I'm just worried that if i do that they will still take it but not consider me. I've heard too many rumors and people in the area in local fire department say they were capping the applications accepted to take a chance. Why would they admit to a cap? If they did and people get down there and they don't take the apps then they could have a potential riot on their hands. Of course they'll say they are going to take them all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I'm staying about two blocks away so I guess I'll just keep an eye on things. If a line starts to form then I'll jump in. Definitely don't want to ruin my chance when I'm making the trip from Milwaukee. I just don't think that they would straight up lie to me when I called though. He went over it quite a few times(the recruiter that I talked to) that I would be fine if I got in line at any point between the time limit. Like I said though, if I start to see people form a long line, I'm jumping in anyway.

Forum Member

This is how I am looking at it, if you get in line overnight you will wait for 6-10 hours. Now if you get in line at 9 when the doors open, I am sure you will wait almost the same amount of time due to everyone that was already in line going through the process. Either way, its going to be close if not the same amount of time.
    Matthew Pullen
    Firefighter
    www.levittownfire.com

Thread Information