Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Washington, DC 2008

MembersZone Subscriber

Just want to double check with everyone, we need our app and an id. That's it right?

Also, I just noticed on one of their flyers that they are using the CPAT now. I think I heard it was their own PAT last time.

MembersZone Subscriber

I will be taking my FF/Medic written for DC in two weeks, anyone have any idea how the test is, and what type of test it is? Is is two separtate test a FF and then Medic test, or is it all in one?

MembersZone Subscriber

I ended up giving in and I got in line at 1:00AM. I was number 217 or something since I got skipped when people rushed for the door. haha

Some of the people in line ****ed me off though. A lot of them said that they only applied because of the money. They figure they get resident points so they will have a good shot at a job where no schooling is required. One guy even said, "How hard can it be to run into fires? I'll easily do that for what we get paid. Then I can also feel happy because I'm always saving people." A lot of people that lived in the area seemed to be gone from the line the entire time until morning as well. They just met up with friends and skipped everyone else. This is the best one. Two guy next to me started rolling a blunt. Then they asked me to save their spot while they go smoke it. I just hope I don't lose out on getting the job to some guy like this when I flew in from Milwaukee, waited in line all night, and actually WANT the job. There were still plenty of good people, but there were also a lot of bad ones.

Anyone on here think they had a high number? Just curious about how many applied.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got there at 10:15 and was out within 15 minutes. I was number 1173

Forum Member

same here there were guys in front of me that were cutting people left and right all night. they looked like they'd never set foot on a fire truck let alone a gym. the n word left their mouths about every 10 seconds and they were eating fried chicken on the bone and throwing the bones all over the sidewalk and when we got up to leave they left all their trash everywhere and just laughed at the guys that came around telling people to take their trash with them. i'll tell you what, that's not somebody i'd want around in my fire house. it really is disgusting that someone like that could get the job over someone that genuinely wants it and has put time in in training, just because they live in the district and get an extra 10 points. if anything it should be the opposite...minus 10 points...

MembersZone Subscriber

Double post, apologies. Moderator please delete.
    Last edited by BigBruno; 06-17-2008 at 01:39 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was # 1 in line. It was a wild couple of nights, but WELL worth it! I was awoken about 0430 to a couple guys yelling at the top of their lungs about sports and the Cincinatti Reds...haha.

Did anyone else see all the commotion on 7th and Mt. Vernon? Apparently this dude jumped into the crowd and stabbed himself?!?! By the time I got up there, he was on his face wearing handcuffs.

All in all, I met some fantastic people (residents and applicants and DC firefighters).

How did it go for everyone else?

Forum Member

Deleted by poster
    Last edited by splinters8; 07-18-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Forum Member

I ended up being number 196.
    Matthew Pullen
    Firefighter
    Levittown Fire Company No.1
    www.levittownfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    same here there were guys in front of me that were cutting people left and right all night. they looked like they'd never set foot on a fire truck let alone a gym. the n word left their mouths about every 10 seconds and they were eating fried chicken on the bone and throwing the bones all over the sidewalk and when we got up to leave they left all their trash everywhere and just laughed at the guys that came around telling people to take their trash with them. i'll tell you what, that's not somebody i'd want around in my fire house. it really is disgusting that someone like that could get the job over someone that genuinely wants it and has put time in in training, just because they live in the district and get an extra 10 points. if anything it should be the opposite...minus 10 points...
    totally agree...i saw some real ignorant stuff sadly they get a extra 10 pts...i came from NYC....i got their at 11am and i was # 1270....i was in there for about 5 minutes...lol...

if they close their doors at 3pm i guess they should have about 3k applications...cause when i got there basically no one was there or coming....it was real slow....when i took the FDNY test 35k ppl where taking it...i think the odds in DC are in my favor....

i saw alot of out of shape ppl too...not judging...but i was curious if they could actually pass a CPAT.....

but any way are we suppose to keep or #'s as reference?

oh yeah GOOD LUCK everyone....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post
    but any way are we suppose to keep or #'s as reference?
    Mine says "Please maintain as proof of your application submission on June 14th, 2008."

Forum Member

keep your number...it proves you were there to turn in an application. if for some reason yours was to get lost that is the only way you can prove you were there.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish they would have required EMT-B to apply since that's the new part of the position. At least half of that crowd would be gone, probably more. Having competition is one thing, but it's the type of people that were there that make it so bad. I'm still in shock that the guy next to me asked me to save his spot so he could go smoke weed. There was a nice guy about 2 spots behind me that was there all night as well. He looked a little older. After I finished with my application, I heard on the PA, "If you were born before this date or after this date you are not elibible." So they might have looked at his and deemed him not eligible before they announced that.

Does anyone know if they will take CPAT certs within the last year? Or will we have to take it again? I just took the CPAT again last month so it would be eligible for DC if they take them.

Also did anyone order that Don McNea prep guide yet? I thinking of ordering today. Not sure which one to get, but they bigger one is only $10 more so I'll probably get that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default #792

i also was in and out in a flash, i was very happy with how things went, i was #792. i did hear a few people talking about the money and such....i was not very impressed with the people who was talking all that "smack" i too had a guy say say something about not having to work every day of the week and get good money for doing it. ****ed me off but other then that i was happy with how things went. happy to see alot of guys and girls who really want the job! and i got to see engine 3 run a medical call to that was nice way to top it all off.

keep safe everyone

MembersZone Subscriber

ya my buddy was there at like 2:00 or 2:30 and his number is 1475, pretty sure they didnt get 3000 haha.

Forum Member

Default dont worry

Guys dont worry about who said what and who did what, most of the time those F&cks get weeded out anyway, plus the dudes smokin weed are probably dumb enough to smoke the **** before they go take their **** test, so dont worry about that, in the end it all works itself out, just stay motivated and confident, remember you still have to go through numerous tests. Good luck to you guys and see ya on the job, One more thing, i was told when getting on the job they go through 100 guys to get 30 good guys per class, just keep those odds in sight and it will keep you motivated

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A little advice for you Applicants

Here are a few tips for you applicants to ensure a smooth hiring process.

NEVER THROW AWAY ANYTHING FROM DCFD OR DCOP. They are notorious for losing things.

Stop talking on here about what you saw and what you heard. Keep your F$%^ing comments to yourself about the other applicants.

IF you were wearing a DCFD T-shirt while standing in line to put in an application, throw it away. Those shirts are earned and should not be sold to non-members (a topic for another day).

There will be a lot of rumors. DONT LISTEN TO ANY OF THEM. Call the recruitment officer if you have questions.

If you have questions about the current EMS Staffing plan, being a medic, or anything more about the hiring process EMAIL ME. I will be more than happy to form a letter up with some FACTS AND DETAILS.

IF you do get hired and need somewhere to stay during the academy, EMAIL ME. There are plenty of brothers on the job that have rooms to rent.

If you do get hired and you need a REALTOR to buy a house, EMAIL ME. I will square you away.

Take some time to read EVERYTHING ON DCOP.DC.GOV about the position. Some of you guys ALREADY can not follow directions or asked questions that where clearly on the job posting.

AS IT STANDS RIGHT NOW:

WRITTEN EXAMINATION:

THE WRITTEN FIREFIGHTER (EMT) EXAMINATION IS SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY, August 23, 2008 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. THIS IS THE ONLY DATE THAT THIS EXAMINATION WILL BE GIVEN.

The written examination will consist of approximately 105 multiple- choice and 50 additional questions that measure both cognitive ability (e.g., problem solving) and firefighter (EMT) orientation (e.g., attitude/personality characteristics) found to be related to successful work performance.

All qualified applicants will be scheduled to take the written examination. Applicants not invited to take the examination are encouraged to reapply at a future date to be determined by the DC Department of Human Resources.

Applicants who pass the written examination will be scheduled to take the IAFF/IAFC Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) based on the hiring needs of the Department. The CPAT will consist of a series of physical activities designed to simulate some of the essential physical tasks performed by the Firefighter (EMT). Such activities require cardiovascular fitness, muscle strength, muscular endurance, and flexibility.

IF you need anything else, any questions answered, email me at richard.polish@gmail.com

Good Luck and remember KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

Sid
    DCFD Truck 17 #1

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dcfdsid View Post
    Here are a few tips for you applicants to ensure a smooth hiring process.

NEVER THROW AWAY ANYTHING FROM DCFD OR DCOP. They are notorious for losing things.

Stop talking on here about what you saw and what you heard. Keep your F$%^ing comments to yourself about the other applicants.

IF you were wearing a DCFD T-shirt while standing in line to put in an application, throw it away. Those shirts are earned and should not be sold to non-members (a topic for another day).

There will be a lot of rumors. DONT LISTEN TO ANY OF THEM. Call the recruitment officer if you have questions.

If you have questions about the current EMS Staffing plan, being a medic, or anything more about the hiring process EMAIL ME. I will be more than happy to form a letter up with some FACTS AND DETAILS.

IF you do get hired and need somewhere to stay during the academy, EMAIL ME. There are plenty of brothers on the job that have rooms to rent.

If you do get hired and you need a REALTOR to buy a house, EMAIL ME. I will square you away.

Take some time to read EVERYTHING ON DCOP.DC.GOV about the position. Some of you guys ALREADY can not follow directions or asked questions that where clearly on the job posting.

AS IT STANDS RIGHT NOW:

WRITTEN EXAMINATION:

THE WRITTEN FIREFIGHTER (EMT) EXAMINATION IS SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY, August 23, 2008 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. THIS IS THE ONLY DATE THAT THIS EXAMINATION WILL BE GIVEN.

The written examination will consist of approximately 105 multiple- choice and 50 additional questions that measure both cognitive ability (e.g., problem solving) and firefighter (EMT) orientation (e.g., attitude/personality characteristics) found to be related to successful work performance.

All qualified applicants will be scheduled to take the written examination. Applicants not invited to take the examination are encouraged to reapply at a future date to be determined by the DC Department of Human Resources.

Applicants who pass the written examination will be scheduled to take the IAFF/IAFC Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) based on the hiring needs of the Department. The CPAT will consist of a series of physical activities designed to simulate some of the essential physical tasks performed by the Firefighter (EMT). Such activities require cardiovascular fitness, muscle strength, muscular endurance, and flexibility.

IF you need anything else, any questions answered, email me at richard.polish@gmail.com

Good Luck and remember KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

Sid
    DCFD Truck 17 #1
    thanks for info....

wow...they barely got 3k applications......

Forum Member

They got between 1550-1600 apps. Becoming an EMT-B is not a new part of the job title, unfortunately its been that way since about 1987. If this test is anything like the previous tests, you will do well if you have an IQ above 50. Unfortunately these tests have been completely dumbed down for reasons Im sure everyone can figure out on their own. Also dcfdsid is right, keep every piece of paper you get from the city. They will lose stuff. Good luck to everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

sid... Do you know how long the whole process usually takes?(written test until first academy class?) And are there a lot of vacancies and/or retirements?

Also, is this the first time they are doing the CPAT? I thought I saw on an old thread when I was trying to find some info that DC had their own PAT before. If it isn't the first time, do you know if they take CPAT certs from the past year? I'll end up calling to check, but I want to make sure I pass my written test before I worry about that.

Last, how do you guys feel about station visits? I live in Milwaukee so the East Coast is a little different. When I was there to hand in my app, I walked by Engine 16, but I heard sirens so often that I figured they might be busy and don't want to be bothered.

I was going to PM you, but I thought the others might want to know some of this too. Thanks for all of the info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    sid... Do you know how long the whole process usually takes?(written test until first academy class?) And are there a lot of vacancies and/or retirements?

Also, is this the first time they are doing the CPAT? I thought I saw on an old thread when I was trying to find some info that DC had their own PAT before. If it isn't the first time, do you know if they take CPAT certs from the past year? I'll end up calling to check, but I want to make sure I pass my written test before I worry about that.

Last, how do you guys feel about station visits? I live in Milwaukee so the East Coast is a little different. When I was there to hand in my app, I walked by Engine 16, but I heard sirens so often that I figured they might be busy and don't want to be bothered.

I was going to PM you, but I thought the others might want to know some of this too. Thanks for all of the info.
    thanks 4 not pming him....good questions here...i should have done the same....

MembersZone Subscriber

The entire process takes as long as DCOP decideds to take. It also depends on the need. It took me almost 2 years to get hired and my rank was #64 on the test list. I was in the 3rd class off my list.

YES to CPAT. Not really sure about the 1st time or not. We did a modified physical agility in the past. Now we do CPAT. No one cares if you took the CPAT in the past. Were you applying for DC? NO? Then take the test again. No one here cares about what you did at your old job. Use your knowledge and experience from your old job to help your fellow classmates and yourself from getting in to trouble and use that experience to help keep your mouth shut. Do not ask any more questions about the CPAT. We use it. Prepare for it. NUFF SAID?

There are certain fire stations that sell T-shirts and Patches and what not. Dont feel bad and dont take it personally if they dont suck your ***** when you visit. These same houses are in prime tourist locations and are also a little on the busy side. NEVER VISIT AT MEAL TIME. Be polite, respectful, and ask about the house and the history and the brothers. Personally I like talking to brothers from around the country. Just dont visit me at meal time.

Sid
    Last edited by dcfdsid; 06-18-2008 at 09:07 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info.

I'm not trying to brag about my past or think I'm better when I asked about the CPAT. I asked because many departments require you to get the cert on your own. Many more say that you don't have to take it if you have one in the past year because it is a standard test that is the same everywhere. Sorry, I'm not sure what I said wrong there.
    Last edited by clark918; 06-18-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Forum Member

Sid,

Why are you trying to act like you're high and mighty? First off, your comment, "NEVER VISIT AT MEAL TIME." Who the F knows when your meal time is? Do you have a published schedule that people can review to know when breakfast, lunch, and dinner is? Dude, your job is to SERVE THE PUBLIC. The public is ANYBODY that comes to the station that does not currently work for the DCFD, whether they are an applicant or not. When somebody comes to my station -- meal time or not -- I am more than happy to talk to them and show them around. That's part of my job. So what if my dinner gets a little cool, I'll just heat it up.

Another thing...We may agree that nobody likes narcissistic people that talk about how great they were at their last job...Yes, that's annoying to most people. But you look like a d-bag by telling these people, "keep your mouth shut." The people on these forums are looking for advice, they don't need you to talk down to them like a 10 year old kid that's in trouble.

Perhaps we do things a little differently in my part of the world. I was considering applying for a Medic position with the DCFD, but if all fire personnel put on an "I'm better than you" facade, I'd rather not work there.

----------------------------------------------------------
    "No one cares if you took the CPAT in the past. No one here cares about what you did at your old job. Use your knowledge and experience from your old job to help your fellow classmates and yourself from getting in to trouble and use that experience to help keep your mouth shut. Do not ask any more questions about the CPAT. We use it. Prepare for it. NUFF SAID? Dont feel bad and dont take it personally if they dont suck your ***** when you visit. These same houses are in prime tourist locations and are also a little on the busy side. NEVER VISIT AT MEAL TIME. Be polite, respectful, and ask about the house and the history and the brothers. Personally I like talking to brothers from around the country. Just dont visit me at meal time."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info.

I'm not trying to brag about my past or think I'm better when I asked about the CPAT. I asked because many departments require you to get the cert on your own. Many more say that you don't have to take it if you have one in the past year because it is a standard test that is the same everywhere. Sorry, I'm not sure what I said wrong there.

Dont get all sensitive on me Clarkie. My posting was not a direct shot at you and your background. I know it may have seemed that way but it was not. I got 22 emails from people telling me how many times they took the CPAT. DC will be giving the CPAT. Take it when they schedule you.

Sid

Thread Information