Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Washington, DC 2008

Forum Member

if the new fire chief has his way by going away from 24/72 then there will be a lot of opening coming up sad to say...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    The last number called was 425
    That is the number of members lost if the chief changes to work schedule from 24/72 to 3/3/3. I woundn't quit my other job just yet.. The DCFD may not hire for sometime if the chief gets his way.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Heard that there's 3 classes about to start. And a Class started last week.

Forum Member

Are these classes off the 2008 list or are they random people from city high school the chief decided to hire?

MembersZone Subscriber

Any more updates on things (hiring freeze, creating new list, etc)?

PBR
    Forum Member

I haven't heard anything in the firehouse about a new list yet, but it has been almost two years since classes 363-365 went through. There is currently a cadet class at the academy, but that is a separate and small-scale hiring pool. The city is broke and the chief wants to eliminate a shift, he probably won't succeed, so there should be a need to hire again sooner rather than later...but that doesn't mean much of anything. Moral is rather low right now, but things should get better and it is still a very good department to work for; lots of tradition and very aggressive interior attacks.

Forum Member

Applicants are going thru the physicals and psych exams again for a possible start date of a class in mid-june.

Forum Member

Surprised they aren't administering a new test completely.

Forum Member

I was told it was too costly and took too long to administer a new test...

MembersZone Subscriber

I remember like it was yesterday the two days spent camped out to turn in my application. Ahhh... that first night sleeping in a parking garage (which I don't recommend in the summer, ever). How amazing would it be to be able to get the opportunity to go through the rest of the process four years later!

Watching several of my former coworkers go on to be DC Firefighters....what an inspiration!

DCFD was always and will forever be my dream department!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are looking for a personal trainer in the DC area that is specifically geared towards CPAT testing take a look at www.wildfireadventures.com. I ran the recruit training, CPAT testing and several other programs for Washington DCFD. DCFD does not currently have classes in session but are CPAT testing. There is rumor they want to have another class very soon (just 1 class from what I understand). You should keep in touch with the recruitment to see where you stand.

(To open up another application process would cost the city tens of thousands of dollars so they'll put it off as long as possible). The cadet program is funded through grant and federal programs if i remember correctly. I’ve tested several hundred applicants and know what is needed to pass CPAT. If you’re looking to get in shape or have a specific goal in mind such as CPAT take a look at the site. Personal training is done mostly in College Park close to U of MD.

Lastly, I will NOT be your PT instructor anymore - I'm free from the TA and lucky to be riding in the streets again.
    Last edited by AFoster; 06-14-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Forum Member

Any rumors of a new test or hiring on the horizon?

Forum Member

A class of about 30 of us will start Oct. 9th.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any rumors of a new test?

Hey guys, when is this current class over and what are they projecting will be a new class start date?

Forum Member

Hearsay from a friend OTJ says applications are being accepted for Firefighter/Paramedic. There is a link floating around on DC FEMS website, but I can't seem to find where/when the actual application period is. Apply at your own risk!!

Forum Member

Can not seem to find it either, heard the same rumors though.

Forum Member

I was able to find information on the process, however no link to apply was provided or an anticipated period for it to be open.
    Last edited by StrangerDanger14; 11-27-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Forum Member

We are 9 weeks in and rumor has it that 1 more class will come in off the 2008 list then a new test will be givin in the spring or summer of 2013.
    tonsoffun1101 and DJ_Reverse like this.

Forum Member

Just heard today that a cadet class will be starting in Jan. and a recruit class in Feb. Applications for the test will come out in April and only 14-1500 applications will be given out. Oh yea our class, 366, is slated to graduate in late April early May.
    Last edited by Chasselber; 12-21-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chasselber View Post
    Just heard today that a cadet class will be starting in Jan. and a recruit class in Feb. Applications for the test will come out in April and only 14-1500 applications will be given out. Oh yea our class, 366, is slated to graduate in late April early May.
    As in online they will only take the first 14-15,000 or "given out" as in personally give them out?

Forum Member

As in only the first 1500 will be invited to take the test.

Forum Member

For the 08 test I think they took the first 3000. To apply you had to come and hand your application in to the department in person at the Convention Center downtown. So this will probably require some effort and possibly camping out overnight. If you want the job bad enough, it's worth it. We may not see as much fire anymore and you will take a beating on many of the ambulances, but we are still an extremely aggressive interior firefighting department.

Forum Member

First time poster in here.

My friend is a medic student at Penn. and he received a call from DCFD recruitment to contact him when he graduates?

Is this unusual?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    For the 08 test I think they took the first 3000. To apply you had to come and hand your application in to the department in person at the Convention Center downtown. So this will probably require some effort and possibly camping out overnight. If you want the job bad enough, it's worth it. We may not see as much fire anymore and you will take a beating on many of the ambulances, but we are still an extremely aggressive interior firefighting department.
    You're describing nearly 3/4ths of the departments nationwide, but fire stats ebb and flow. We are starting to see a rise in the other direction as of right now and more places are seeing more fire. This is my dream job and DCFD is one those "tier 1" departments in the states that any guy wanting it bad enough will want. Trust me, I'm going for this 100% and will find myself camping outside of the CC with a bag and a Caps jersey.

Thread Information