Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Washington, DC 2008

Forum Member

so when is DC putting out a test and is any other department going to be putting out a test soon

Im almost positive this hasnt been answered but can anybody explain what the role of a Sergeant is in DCFD.

Forum Member

B]ATTENTION ANYONE WHO TOOK THE 2008 DCFD FIREFIGHTER/EMT EXAMINATION:[/B] THE TIME TO STEP UP AN FIGHT IS NOW!!!

I know there are hundreds out there who took the exam in 2008 that still dream of being a firefighter in our Nation's Capital. Just some background on the list in case you have been out of the loop: the exam was given to over 3000 applicants in the summer of 2008. The DCFD under Chief Rubin and Mayor Fenty hired actively off the list until the installment of Chief Kenneth Ellerbe by newly elected Mayor Vincent Gray in early Feb. 2011. Among the first actions of the Gray administration was the implementation of a city-wide hiring freeze that included DCFD. This hiring freeze has lasted until the present with the exception of the hiring of one recruit class in Oct. 2012. Though the exam was given almost 5 years ago, the list has been active for only approximately 3 years. The Ellerbe administration, under the the patronage of Gray, has aggressively reinstituted the Fire Cadet program since taking over the Dept. in 2011. This targeted recruitment effort has been used by Ellerbe to essentially bypass the 2008 recruit register to create the illusion of filling vacancies, all the while positions have been left unfilled while the vacancies in the Dept. have risen to over 200. This manufactured staffing crisis is being used by Ellerbe to force the DCFD into a shift change that is overtly being promoted by the Chief and the Mayor as a move to force a change in the status quo of the DCFD: basically the plan is to force the firefighters that live outside the city to quit so that they can move forward with their 'socially' driven hiring agenda. This is all public information taken from the news, press releases, etc.

So that brings us to today. Vacancies between 200-300. The Dept. under Ellerbe is still making every effort to suppress the 2008 recruit list. From hiring cadets, to bringing back city resident only EMS recruitments to 'veterans' hiring drives for city residents. The Chief has only been successful in making the 2008 list disappear because no one has put up a fight. There is now way to tell how many are still out there, but the number is in the hundreds. The last recruit class in the academy has guys with numbers from the 100s to the 1000s. There are guys out there that I know in the 200s who never even got called for orientation. What I am trying to illustrate is that the hiring process is highly jacked, and has been especially corrupt under Gray/Ellerbe.

IF YOU ARE STILL ON THE LIST, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE PASSED THE SUITABILITY BOARD AND HAVE BEEN READY FOR HIRE YOU NEED TO CONTACT THE DC OFFICE OF THE INSPECTOR GENERAL:

Office Hours

Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5:30 pm, except District holidays

717 14th Street, NW, 5th Floor, Washington, DC 20005
    Phone: (202) 727-2540
    Fax: (202) 727-9846
    TTY: 711
    Emailig@dc.gov

THE DEPARTMENTS MISMANAGEMENT IN HIRING IS CURRENTLY BEING INVESTIGATED BY THE OIG AND THE CITY COUNCIL. THE TIME TO MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD IS NOW.

CONTACT TOMMY WELLS- CHAIRMAN OF THE COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY AT 202-724-8072

THE TIME TO FIGHT BACK IS NOW. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS PM ME.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fightback08, I tried to send you a message, but you don't have them turned on.

Forum Member

Send it. And spread the word.

Forum Member

What the city needs to do is have a new test. Five years is a long time. There's currently one cadet class and one class with veterans at the training academy. There have been some amazing firemen come from the cadet classes in the past but for the most part, many can't make it on the job. I agree we need to hire more recruits, but a new test would be ideal. With this fire chief, it will not happen though.

Forum Member

Any news on when they will start hiring ff/paramedics? I have seen all the stories about how short they are on paramedics just wondering if anything is on the horizon for FF/paramedics.

PBR
    Forum Member

The process is currently open for single role-paramedics. The current administration doesn't want to hire non-residents, but given our staffing shortages, they will have to hire both FF/EMTs and FF/PMs sooner rather than later. Keep checking the dept. recruitment site.

Forum Member

Sadly I have applied to that position, since it opened. I have called HR 4 times and as recent as this morning. I get the run around no definitive answers and I always get told "we will call you back by the end of the day". Its obvious they have no interest in hiring. Myself and two other paramedics from my volunteer dept applied they get the same when they call HR.

Forum Member

To All on the thread,

Look guys, WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. This excerpt is from the employment section of the FEMS website:

Notice of Non-Discrimination
    Notice of Non-Discrimination: In accordance with the D.C. Human Rights Act of 1977, as amended, D.C. Official Code, Section 2-1401.01 et. seq., (Act) the District of Columbia does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived: race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, source of income, or place of residence or business. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination which is also prohibited by the Act. In addition, harassment based on any of the above protected categories is prohibited by the Act. Discrimination in violation of the Act will not be tolerated. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action.

SNARFF, PIPEMAN1822, PBR- I agree with everything you guys are saying, but I think you are approaching this with too much common sense and rationality. This is the same administration that has let 200-300 vacancies pile up, and a whole fleet decay while they hide the numbers. The Chief has the direct unflinching support of the crooked Mayor, and his Deputy Mayor ( who made his career in CSOSA finding job placement for DC ex-cons). It no secret that the DCFD hiring process is not a fair, equitable, merit based process. Just look at the cadet classes. I am a supporter of the cadet program, but it should be a fairly implemented program. And to a new test- I'm all for it. But here is the thing: if we all lie down and don't stand up for whats right with the 2008 list, what do you think the next exam/ recruitment process will be like.

As I stated before WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER whether you are OTJ, on the 2008 list, on a newly formed veteran list, a cadet, or an aspiring DCFD FF/EMT/Medic. EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET ON THE PHONE AND CALL WELLS AND THE OIG TO VOICE THEIR OPINION.

CONTACT TOMMY WELLS-
    CHAIRMAN OF THE COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY AT 202-724-8072

DC OFFICE OF THE INSPECTOR GENERAL
    Email: oig@dc.gov

Forum Member

Like PBR said, these vacancies WILL get filled. The council has ordered the fire chief to hire. The departments staffing is bad, and the ALS staffing is embarrassing. I read this from someone about yesterday:

Currently DC is without 2/5 of their needed ALS coverage.
    Paramedic Engine Companies 26, 3, 30, 25, 9, 11, and 31 are all basics
    Medic Units 8, 27, 30, 19, 24, 5, and 2 are basic
    EMS Supervisors 2 and 7 are not staffed.

Believe me when I say the guys on the job want the department to hire. The overtime can be nice once in awhile but we are definitely taking a beating. Not only do the vacancies need to be filled, but we need to up the staffing. We run out of ambulances on a daily basis right now.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

Forum Member

Agreed 1822, but we need guys like you with us. RISE UP BROTHERS.

CONTACT TOMMY WELLS-

Forum Member

keep hope alive

Forum Member

CONTACT TOMMY WELLS-

So does anyone know if the 60 new hires announced at the press conference the other day were taken off of the list created from the test back in 2008?

Does anyone know how many of the 60 recruits announced at last weeks press conference were hired off the list from 2008? Or are they from the cadet program?

Forum Member

Anyone still out there from the 2008 recruit register? There is a good chance that things will start moving again on July 3 when the current agency head is gone.

Forum Member

http://t.co/hEcfxuhhNn

Interview with the next Chief

Forum Member

D C F D Forever

Forum Member

Any word on if the process is going to open up?

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything about a new test or any hiring. Hopefully the hiring of cadet classes ends when this chief is gone. There have been a few good hires, but many of them are terrible. The idea isn't bad but instead of hiring qualified residents, they took whoever they could. We have plenty of vacancies in the department at this time. However I doubt the interim chief makes any big moves.

Forum Member

If you are on the 2008 list and have passed suitability but not been hired: pm me

Forum Member

keep it going

Forum Member

I have a question if I took the written test back in 2008 pass the written test but didn't move on to the next process wasn't contacted for the next step am I consider being on the 2008 list or that for candidates that went through the whole process but wasn't hired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Code1986 View Post
    I have a question if I took the written test back in 2008 pass the written test but didn't move on to the next process wasn't contacted for the next step am I consider being on the 2008 list or that for candidates that went through the whole process but wasn't hired.
    As long as you passed the test, you're on the list. Then they just go down the list by your score to move you on when people are needed.

The test was so long ago though that they need to scratch the 08 test and have another.

Thread Information