Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 86 FirstFirst ... 266673747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1716
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Washington, DC 2008

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    I don't think anybody would mind that kind of question. Above all else firefighters are family oriented (to their biological family and to their fellow firefighters) and understand putting family first. I'm confident they realize these questions are simply because we are putting others before ourselves. I believe that quality would never be berated by any family man and would be a quality anybody should bring to a fire house. Unfortunately this isn't a question that is easily answered by anybody short of city management. I just got the job offer from Fairfax County and now it looks like I'm getting the same offer from DCFD. There is no question in my mind as to DCFD being my choice of preference, but I would appreciate any information/opinions anybody may have as to the future job stability for my family's sake.
    I'll make this as clear as I can. If you want to have a Fire/EMS job where when you actually do go to a fire, you stand in front and surround and drowned then go to Fairfax.

If you want a Fire/EMS job where when you actually do go to a fire (which is often in many houses) you see the most aggressive fire tactics anywhere in the country then come to DC.

If you are into that whole geeky medical side of being a paramedic and enjoy dealing with truly sick people (god bless you) then go to Fairfax.

DC's EMS system is really just a bunch of abuse, like all other big poor cities. You will do nothing but homeless people lying about chest pain in order to have a warm bed to sleep in. The sick people you will see here are only sick because they refuse to take care of themselves. This is just our demographics mainly.

Every once in a while you will see someone sick and you darn better be a good medic because ALL eyes are on you. The system we have is ever changing and heading in the right direction from an EMS standpoint, but be patient because it could take several years for a solution to the issues.

All in all, if you think you want to be part of the greatest fire dept in the country then come join the ranks of the DCFD.

BTW, this job is very stable in my opinion, especially if you are a FF/PM. Every city threatens layoffs now and again. You might as well get used to hearing that rhetoric. This is the Nations Capitol. As far as the living situation goes, there are plenty people in your same shoes that work here and if you think DC is expensive then you will cry when you see Fairfax. There are plenty of people here that will help you get steered in the right direction especially if you are humble and know your place on the "scrotum pole".
    Last edited by CapitolSeagrave; 08-06-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CapitolSeagrave View Post
    I'll make this as clear as I can. If you want to have a Fire/EMS job where when you actually do go to a fire, you stand in front and surround and drowned then go to Fairfax.

If you want a Fire/EMS job where when you actually do go to a fire (which is often in many houses) you see the most aggressive fire tactics anywhere in the country then come to DC.

If you are into that whole geeky medical side of being a paramedic and enjoy dealing with truly sick people (god bless you) then go to Fairfax.

DC's EMS system is really just a bunch of abuse, like all other big poor cities. You will do nothing but homeless people lying about chest pain in order to have a warm bed to sleep in. The sick people you will see here are only sick because they refuse to take care of themselves. This is just our demographics mainly.

Every once in a while you will see someone sick and you darn better be a good medic because ALL eyes are on you. The system we have is ever changing and heading in the right direction from an EMS standpoint, but be patient because it could take several years for a solution to the issues.

All in all, if you think you want to be part of the greatest fire dept in the country then come join the ranks of the DCFD.

BTW, this job is very stable in my opinion, especially if you are a FF/PM. Every city threatens layoffs now and again. You might as well get used to hearing that rhetoric. This is the Nations Capitol. As far as the living situation goes, there are plenty people in your same shoes that work here and if you think DC is expensive then you will cry when you see Fairfax. There are plenty of people here that will help you get steered in the right direction especially if you are humble and know your place on the "scrotum pole".
    Thank you very much for that response.

Forum Member

Default Thanks for the info.

Thank for the information. DC absolutely sounds like the kind of place which I would give my heart and soul to become a member of. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the insight into your department. I look forward to starting things off on the right foot.
    Take care,
    Rick

Forum Member

I took my med/esa on July 14th. How do I activate my PM's?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    I took my med/esa on July 14th. How do I activate my PM's?
    On the top right of the screen at the top of the page there should be "quick links". Click on it, then click "edit option". After that, scroll down a little and it should say "activate private messages." click it, then save and youre done.

Forum Member

Default dcfd

go blue thats when i took mine as well, have you heard anything back yet?

MembersZone Subscriber

I took my med/esa again with you guys. I spoke to recruiting yesterday and was told nothing came in yet from the PFC.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Start Dates

Guys I believe they are trying to build up a class. I'm just getting ready to do my medical and psych eval on August 18th. There were only 8 guys and 1 girl in my test. Most looked like they would pass the c-pat. Everyone is scheduled for the med/psych on the 17th or 18th. I live in Ohio and 4 or 5 of my co-workers went down about a year ago now. They stated that they think the start date is in the first weeks of October, but who knows when they will get enough people for the academy. They did say they were fast-tracking our test to get us on the list now. That tends to make me think they are tallying their final numbers for a class. Of course this is all just word-of-mouth.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bkffemtu498 View Post
    Guys I believe they are trying to build up a class. I'm just getting ready to do my medical and psych eval on August 18th. There were only 8 guys and 1 girl in my test. Most looked like they would pass the c-pat. Everyone is scheduled for the med/psych on the 17th or 18th. I live in Ohio and 4 or 5 of my co-workers went down about a year ago now. They stated that they think the start date is in the first weeks of October, but who knows when they will get enough people for the academy. They did say they were fast-tracking our test to get us on the list now. That tends to make me think they are tallying their final numbers for a class. Of course this is all just word-of-mouth.
    What is your ranking number?

MembersZone Subscriber

Rank? They gave us my psych packet and my evaluate date before we left the room. They called me a week ago and left a message telling me that I passed and what my score was.

MembersZone Subscriber

The medic process and emt process info are getting jumbled together in this thread. Medics are getting pushed through the process extremely fast right now to fill the medic slots for October. I believe I heard it was supposed to be roughly 45 medics and 45 emts.

Forum Member

Default Dc

anyone hear anything this week?

Forum Member

Yes, I just heard that anyone who lives in Ohio, and has their training, can transfer to DC. So far a quarter of the dept. is from Ohio and still counting. A couple years ago we offered the same to the state of Pennsylvania, and that state did not let us down. Rumor is that they are starting to recruit in Arizona, but the city is afraid of getting sued for asking background checks on certain individuals.....

Forum Member

Ha! Almost sounds made up, but truth be told the PA pipeline (insert PFD joke) has been open for 20 years....

Forum Member

Yea Ohio is definitely the new PA in DC. I guess that last medic class had over 10 guys from Ohio.

Not really sure what new news you guys are looking for. I did hear from someone that they will be testing again next year. Possibly August. Don't think they are in much of a hurry since they haven't hired many from the current list.

Forum Member

The last time they put a class in was, one class from the "commoners" FF list, 3 I think off the "special" paramedic list. Last we heard across the river was, 3 classes total of 90 starting October. Rumor says either half medics half commoners, or 2 medics 1 commoners class. Also if your in your blue book process, turn them in asap. Heard some crazy stuff the other day, that they skipped around to get certain higher ups family members in class, and they said it was legal due to the blue books being in turned in quicker than others. Just a little info....

MembersZone Subscriber

Tread lightly with your Ohio comments....this old man and the old man driving the wagon at 6 Engine were the only Buckeyes for over 20 years before the pipeline started!

Forum Member

Default dcfd

just got my letter yesterday saying im qualified, just hoping they reach my number. i cant imagine they would put me through this process again unless they were going to hire me. any of you DC guys have any insight on that?

Forum Member

I applied to DC online via the citys employment site under the FF/PM opening that was posted a few months ago.
    I know its more of an HR thing, but I haven't heard anything. Is that how you guys applied, because it seems like there was another way where you all waited in line.
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

You're confusing us with medics. Some of us are FF/EMT candidates that applied and took the test over 2 years ago.

Thread Information