Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Washington, DC 2008

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Washington, DC 2008

Well, the time that many have waited for has finally arrived. The following has come directly from the FEMS website:

"The 2008 Firefighter/EMT Entry Level Exam will be administered on August 23, 2008.

If you took the 2008 Firefighter/EMT Entry Level Exam and have questions, contact Ms. Theresa Selddon, DC Department of Human Resources at (202) 442-9700.

Contact the DC Fire/EMS Recruiting Officer at (202) 673-3330 with questions about DC Fire/EMS recruiting.

For information about other positions available with DC Fire/EMS, including information about the Firefighter /EMT Entry Level Exam, please visit the Employment Opportunities page."

I spoke with a Lieutenant from Recruiting on the phone today. Here is what I know so far. May 15th, 2008 is the Application Disbursement Date. That means that applications on this date can be filled out and printed off.

On June 14th, 2008, the first 3000 applications will be accepted at the DC Convention Center. Recruiting explained to me that the Convention Center will most likely be the only location to turn in applications.

That is what I know as of now. Good Luck!

Good thing's happening

Wow Can't wait!! This is BIG News and sounds like A Lot of people will be there waiting ahead of time since its only one location.

Rob

Forum Member

great... keep us posted if you hear anything else

did they do away with the paramedic/firefighter test?

Forum Member

Can applications be printed online, or do you have to pick one up in person?

MembersZone Subscriber

I just spoke with the lieutenant in the recruiting office, he said you can pick up applications at various places on May 15th, or you can print it out online. He's also not sure about the 3000 cut off. He said they might just accept all applications at the convetion center, but he's not sure about it. It will be out on the May 15th posting for sure how many they're taking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fannin View Post
    He's also not sure about the 3000 cut off. He said they might just accept all applications at the convetion center, but he's not sure about it. It will be out on the May 15th posting for sure how many they're taking.
    If they are smart, they will accept every application that shows up, put the first 3000 in one pile, and the rest in another. Best way to avoid a riot.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

What about guys from out of town, and guys that are medics already?

Forum Member

Are they going to be hiring alot off of this list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by columbusfire View Post
    What about guys from out of town, and guys that are medics already?
    Guys from out of town better find a hotel and stand in line like everyone else.

Guys that are medics already should call the DC Fire/EMS Recruiting Officer at (202) 673-3330.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyword on when they are going to resume the Physical Agility Testing? It was halted 3 days before I was to take mine? Everytime I call down to recruiting they say nothing new just keep calling.
    Nick Cook
    Biglerville Hose & Truck Co #1
    Bendersville Community Fire Company

MembersZone Subscriber

Come on, people! No posts on this thread in three days? I know there are people just as gung-ho out there as me.

Anyone find out any more information lately?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd love to work for DC. I don't think I'll be able to afford an extra trip just to hand in my application though.

Forum Member

Default halted agility

well i thought i was the only one with a cancelled agility 3 days before the big day. Figured that was it. Let me know if you here anything.

Forum Member

when will the apps. be ready to print off the internet? or will you have to pick them up in person?

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by Macari View Post
    when will the apps. be ready to print off the internet? or will you have to pick them up in person?
    From reading the first post i gathered this much..

"Here is what I know so far. May 15th, 2008 is the Application Disbursement Date. That means that applications on this date can be filled out and printed off. Meaning you can get it onlineb

rob

Forum Member

does dc have any residency rules?

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like I might be applying after all. I'm applying for a part-time job on Monday with Midwest Express Airlines for a spot with the ground crew. Could be the best part-time job ever. They need a lot of people and employees immediately get unlimited flights for free.

I'm also flying out to ride-along with Prince George's County in June. So if I don't get the job with Midwest, I'll plan it so I'm on there when the apps are due anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default EMS Staffing

Does anyone have any info about this new EMS staffing plan that L36 just passed?

From what I understand, it means the EMS is staying the way it is, for whatever that means....... 6/12 month details on the ambo.

anybody?

Default DC Fire 08

Does anyone know if you need to be the one who physically turns the DC 08 application in? Or can someone else that I know turn the application in for me? I live in AZ and it would be really tough for me to get out to DC to physically turn it in. Also if you have taken the CPAT else where do you still need to take the DC CPAT.. Thanks Everyone

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm guessing that the DC Convention Center is the only place they will be accepting applications, unless, of course someone has any additional info. I am just trying to get a feel for how long people will be camping out prior to the 14 June deadline. Thank goodness for annual leave!

MembersZone Subscriber

I spoke to one of the recruiters at the EMS Today Conference in Baltimore. He stated that they are still considering waiving the 3,000 application cap.

Here is the information for DC Fire.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

MembersZone Subscriber

Default medics

Saw a couple of people ask about Medics, I dont know the details but I am a medic and called in oct 07 they told me to mail my app in that week and i did as they said they were going to have a test that month for medis. I didnt hear back until about a month ago when they called for a copy of my medic license. The lady said they were going to have a test very soon, thats the last iv heard. thats all I know about that, interested to know if anyone has any further info on that. I think if you are a medic you can apply by mail anytime, just call to make sure of that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone from the area know if the convention center is near a Metro(subway) stop? I am from Milwaukee, WI and would like to use public transportation instead of renting a car. Also because I'll most likely be staying for a couple nights in a PG County firehouse or two.

Forum Member

Depending on where you're coming from, you can take the green line to the 7th St, Convention center stop, or the Red line to Gallery Place/ Chinatown and walk north a few blocks and you'll be there.
    http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

Thread Information