Thread: muscle up

MembersZone Subscriber

Default muscle up

Would anyone happen to know which version of the muscle up is easier, the bar or the rings?

MembersZone Subscriber

I've seen people not be able to do a single muscle up on a bar, go and do 3 or 4 when they get on the rings.

In either case they're not easy, especially if you're not used to doing full pullups and dips.

Here's how to get your first muscle up.

JC
    http://www.ultimatefirefighterworkout.blogspot.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply, and those excellent links. Last summer, I was able to do full dips for five with 1/2 bw(I weigh about 220 lbs), and a full pullup with a 75 lb db. I would attempt muscle ups after the weight session, but I couldn't nail the transition. I eventually gave up. I was playing with my daughter in the park, and I decided to give it another try, and nailed it on the fifth try. I think the second pull from the o-lifts, barbell rollouts, skin the cat, renegade rows with pushups, and double swings with heavy kettlebells were the key. My gym doesn't have pull-up bars set up correctly, so I do them off of the horizontal beam at the top of the cable crossover. If the rings are easier, this is encouraging. With some practice, I hope to be able to participate in crossfit wod's that involve muscle-ups. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought that you were joking. Then I viewed the video. Then my jaw hit the floor. The planche hold, or whatever you call it, was absolutely sick, as well. Awesome site, thanks again!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you aren't familiar with crossfit they have descriptions and videos on mucsle ups as well as many other exercises. It's a great site and a great program, all for free. It's a function fitness exersicise site. www.crossfit.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I need some more advice, please. I've been doing singles of muscle ups, staggered throughout my workout. I can do repeated singles after about a 30 -45 second rest, at any time of the workout. They can be done while fatigued, as I did some after the crossfit linda wod, and some kettlebell circuits. However, I can't seem to get a double. I think that my kip is fine, and the dip is easy, if I'm in good position. The transition (bar, no rings available) needs work. I've reintroduced hanging knees to elbows, and skin the cat, to my routine, as these seem to use some of the same muscles/pathways as the transition. Anyone have any techniques or exercises to assist the transition? I've viewed the Rob Miller muscle up seminar clips on crossfit, and understand the leanback, then swinging the legs backward to put the upper body into position. I think I just need more transitional strength. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you're probably right, you just don't have the strenght yet. I was pretty close to doing one about 2 months ago, then I didn't do any upper body exercises for 2 months, now I'm no where near being able to do one. It's probably a combination of strength and technique, obviously both will come in time. I'm jealous that you can do one, keep working at it, I'm sure it'll come. Crossfit says you won't be able to do one until you can do about 20 pullups and 20 dips.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think if you increased your relative strength you would see a big difference.

Relative Strength is specific to your mass and the ability to apply force. Another thing is if you're hindered by excessive body fat, then your relative strength decreases.

Lean muscle mass is necessary for optimum performance in the muscle up, and getting leaner while maintaining your current strength levels will help with relative strength.

Increasing your chinning strength will also help with the muscle up. So try and progress to weighted chins.

JC

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mpolletta View Post
    I think you're probably right, you just don't have the strenght yet. I was pretty close to doing one about 2 months ago, then I didn't do any upper body exercises for 2 months, now I'm no where near being able to do one. It's probably a combination of strength and technique, obviously both will come in time. I'm jealous that you can do one, keep working at it, I'm sure it'll come. Crossfit says you won't be able to do one until you can do about 20 pullups and 20 dips.
    westchester47 provided a link with the first reply, which advised that the # of max pullups and dips aren't necessarily relevant to your ability to do a muscle up. When I hit my first one about two weeks ago, my max pullups were 12 strict, 18 kipping, and weighted 1RM 90 lbs for a chin. For dips, I can hit about 30 with elbows tucked, and 120# for five. I think using the kip is key. Try a forward swing, start a strict pull while swinging backwards, kip hard about halfway up, throw your legs forward, then backwards as you transition. Visualize throwing yourself over the bar, and down the other side. Don't forget to use a false grip, and get as much palm over the bar as possible. Once you get the first one, the pathway will be there, and it will be easier in the future. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by westchester47 View Post
    I think if you increased your relative strength you would see a big difference.

Relative Strength is specific to your mass and the ability to apply force. Another thing is if you're hindered by excessive body fat, then your relative strength decreases.

Lean muscle mass is necessary for optimum performance in the muscle up, and getting leaner while maintaining your current strength levels will help with relative strength.

Increasing your chinning strength will also help with the muscle up. So try and progress to weighted chins.

JC
    I totally agree. After paramedic school, I weighed about 265 lbs at 6'3". I changed my approach to total body training, and began exploring various energy systems training. I found several kettlebell sites initially, discovered crossfit, and then joined an olympic weightlifting club. I currently weigh about 220-225 lbs, fairly lean. I could lose about 10 lbs of bodyfat, and remain healthy. Thanks again for the advice, I'll drop a few pounds, and hit the weighted chins a little more frequently. I feel that the weighted chins are less risky than weighted pullups.

MembersZone Subscriber

The transition seems to be where everyone gets stuck.

Check out this video.

JC

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks yet again. Great video, I'm dying to do ring work. When I get to fairfax, I'll check out crossfit fairfax. I have nowhere to hang rings, at the moment.

Thread Information