Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Talking

It is hard the first time you try but you will get the hang of it. Im only a jr firefighter and my dads a chief at the same station and when i joined a little test they made us try was putting on our gear in 60 seconds and then we messed around with the packing up in 60 seconds. just start out slow and work into it. a good way of first putting the air pack on is the over the head method. ask some guys at your station they will probably be able to show you.

Forum Member

My two cents would be to learn how to do it with your gloves on! So when you start taking in runs you can have your gloves on while responding and you don't have to mess around with them at the front door/ fire floor! I've never been timed but I'm pretty sure I can get my facepiece , hood, and helmet on in less than 30 seconds w/ my gloves on! Practice makes perfect though!

Originally Posted by AZFF25
    Kevin..........you forgot to mention that you had to do all of this while walking backward in the snow..............
    Originally posted by THEFIRENUT
    while chewing gum and whistling Dixie!!!
    Originally posted by RFDExplorer
    and uphill!!!!!!!!!!
    Both ways!

to quote Yoda...

SCBA you will don in less than a minute with practice, practice, practice.. try not, do Young Jedi
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-13-2008 at 08:25 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quick question...
    Do you have 60 seconds to don your SCBA and be breathing air or do you have 60 seconds to don all of your PPE (including SCBA)???
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Gone.

I can have my PPE on in about 20-35 seconds, depending on what type of call it is. SCBA I can get on in about 35-40 seconds average. Not that hard, just depends on how you lay it out, what type of SCBA it is, etc. Obviously, you aren't going to get in on in the same amount of time sitting in a crowded engine, but still, if you get it down to an art form, it always makes it easier.

MembersZone Subscriber

my suggestion is the same as everyone else's....practice. take it one item, and one step at a time. get a rythm and do it the same way every time. this also helps eliminate confusion the first time the tone drops for a fire as you will be proficient at donning your ba.

MembersZone Subscriber dsadberry's Avatar

Practice. You will get to where the tones drop at 3 am for a fire and before you even realize it you are fully bunked out, ready to go to work before the truck even leaves the house. I just ended my probation, I thought when I started in the academy there is NO FRIGGIN WAY to be fully bunkered with SCBA ready to rock and roll in a minute and a half, our times were 3+ minutes just to get our turnouts on correctly. Turns out it can be done in < a minute. My personal best was 57 seconds from sitting at the dinner table...

Anymore I can be turned out minus BA before the truck is even started...

Oh yeah, practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect...

Aaaaaaaanywho...
    FF/EMT

The opinions in the above post do not reflect those of my department... Hell they don't even necessarily reflect my own opinion.

FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH DUTY-PRIDE-TRADITION

Forum Member

Default practice

We have 60 seconds to go from wearing our turnout pants and jackets on and our hood on. then its the minute to be breathing air and into the rest of our PPE. It can be done as the test for those of us in mod 3 will be this Saturday. Probie1 if you want to practice and your near Swissvale drop me a line and Id be willing to practice with you. It may not be a bunch of time left but, practice like you mean it. also get with your line officers and other fire fighters they may know how to shave off a few seconds here and there. Dont over think it(That is where I get messed up) and lay out your gear as you need it. air pack then mask, then helmet and gloves last. Good luck and who knows maybe see you in class.

Its very possible, with a little determination and alot of practice you can go from full street clothes to Complete Donning of your PPE and SCBA and clicked in breathing Air in well under a minute. My personal Best was 47 seconds from street clothes to on air.

Thread Information