Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Carins 1010 compared to the 1000???????

I was wondering if anyone has a carins 1000.. Any depts that are issued them? I would like to find the differance between 1010...10000 and 880. The 1000 looks like its smaller than the 1010 but bigger thn the 880. Any info would be great! Thanks.

880 is too small I hear it falls off easy...

1010 seems a little cheap...

Other than that its all you guys..haha

Forum Member

Man...this is the second time I posted this... haha.. Can someone just feed me a line of BS to make me happy... I mean this is the fire service.. Dont we depend on BS! haha

------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

my company just recently purchased the Cairns 1010, im not a hugh fan of it , first off i think its top heavy, and second to none, i dont like the face sheild, one of my officers made a good point, if you have the face sheild down, and no air mask on, if you would happen to get hit on top of the helmet for some reason, that face sheild rests right on the nose bone, with out any protection, hence possible broken nose. just my 2 cents!

Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhoe71 View Post
    my company just recently purchased the Cairns 1010, im not a hugh fan of it , first off i think its top heavy, and second to none, i dont like the face sheild, one of my officers made a good point, if you have the face sheild down, and no air mask on, if you would happen to get hit on top of the helmet for some reason, that face sheild rests right on the nose bone, with out any protection, hence possible broken nose. just my 2 cents!

Jordan
    You don't have to get the defender shield.

You can get bourkes, faceshield, or goggles.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

We issue cairns 1000's and some of the guys have been issued 1010's in the past. The 2 helmets are identical in looks and size. The parts interchange. The only difference is that the 1000 has a layer of kevlar below the outer shell. The 880 is a smaller helmet only in dome size. The overall length is essentially the same as the 1000 and 1010. It also uses a different suspension.

Forum Member

Awsome guys thank you very much!

The biggest difference is that the 1000 has a kevlar coating, (which Cairns is having some type of manufacting issue with and the helmets are back order) I got a 1010 and love it
    Model
    1000 w/bourkes @ $271.001010 w/bourkes @ $198.00
    1044 w/bourkes (matte finish) @ $165.00
    880 tradition w/bourkes, has kevlar coating low profile @$203.00
    880 Chicago w/bourkes matte finish lowest profile bigger tail @ 173.00

With the time delay in ordering the 1000, you could just save a little more money up and by you a N5A New Yorker @ $ 430.00 or a N6A Sam Houston @ $524.00
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Forum Member

Jordan
    It won't happen. The shield would retract back up into the helmet. You'd be worse off with a pair of safety glasses in that situation.

Jordan
    Thats not true, the Defender will retract into your helmet before it will break your nose.
    Last edited by KEEPBACK200FEET; 03-13-2008 at 08:01 PM.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Gone.

We have a few 1000's laying around. They are the older ones with the brown/tan? liners in them. We still have guys using the old Cairns 880's with the doughnut inside because they are smaller built and don't like how big the 1010's and 1000's are on their smaller heads. By my way of thinking, if the department is going to let these guys fight fire without impact caps, then it would seem reasonable/safe to upgrade these guys to the new NFPA 880's.

By the way, totally irrelevant, but do the Phenix helmets issued in California to LAFD and such even have impact caps?
    Last edited by Hexxus; 03-13-2008 at 11:59 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks guys for inisght on that, like i said we just recently purchased them, and with us being a small volunteer company, we really dont wear them to much.but does make me feel a little better knowing that! thanks

Thread Information