Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Fire Jobs in florida seem scarce

Fire jobs seem scarce in Florida, was wondering can you take your certs from Florida and join a department in Georgia or other near by states? I was hoping to live in Florida but travel to Georgia if needed to get a job on a department. I guess my other question is do other states frown appon this due to the person not living in their state.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the other states you mention will accept Florida certification, but not the other way around. I am unsure if there are any hard feelings for those who cross state lines for a job.

I agree jobs are few. We posted 1 firefighter opening and ended up with 120 candidates. We are going to a written exam for entry level positions just to cut down on the number of interviews. It would take us weeks if we had to interview everyone.

Forum Member

mikelinkins,

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking of going to the Ocala fire college since my certs will not transfer and are outdated, but I hate to speed money and three month from steady work to have really no shot for a job. But then I find my self really missing the fire service. I called the fire college and they said the had an 88% job placement rate, which seemed odd since I see so many hiring freezes. Do departments take volunteers in Fla and if so what areas of fla is this common?

Cheers

Forum Member

Depending on when you went to fire school(after '99 I think), your cert is like a National Registry EMT or paramedic cert meaning it is transferable all over the country. Check with Georgia's bureau of fire standards.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

My cert's won't transfer to Florida, so I was told that I would have take them over again so I contacted the Florida State fire college and they mentioned that they had an 88% job placement rate, is that possible with so many hiring freezes? Also they don't offer an EMT course yet, is it hard to get on a department without your EMT cert?

Cheers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelete View Post
    My cert's won't transfer to Florida, so I was told that I would have take them over again so I contacted the Florida State fire college and they mentioned that they had an 88% job placement rate, is that possible with so many hiring freezes?
    Having not gone to the FSFC for minimum standards I can't say for sure how accurate that is, but I do find it a little hard to believe. I may be wrong. I know that they did have a pretty good rap for it but 88% seems high.

Also they don't offer an EMT course yet, is it hard to get on a department without your EMT cert?
    I can tell you that if you aren't a paramedic don't come south of St. Lucie county on the east coast. I would have to imagine that any dept would requrie you to be at least an EMT.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Having not gone to the FSFC for minimum standards I can't say for sure how accurate that is, but I do find it a little hard to believe. I may be wrong. I know that they did have a pretty good rap for it but 88% seems high.

I can tell you that if you aren't a paramedic don't come south of St. Lucie county on the east coast. I would have to imagine that any dept would requrie you to be at least an EMT.
    Right on...I'm orginally from south florida and lots of departments down there have "Paramedic" before Firefighter in the job title. I do recall on time in January of last year, we had a Fort Lauderdale FD Rep come to our fire academy for recruitment day and he announced to us they were hiring FF/EMTs that winter which was rare in that part of the state. Last time I checked, they are back to hiring Paramedic/Firefighers now.
    Last edited by Dell205; 03-19-2008 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Nah, nothing south of Brevard, Brother.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

mikelinkins,
    Do departments take volunteers in Fla and if so what areas of fla is this common?
    Cheers
    A few still do. We do, but it is getting harder and harder. There is a meeting at the Fire College next month where they are going to propose raising the bar for volunteers again. We are down to 97 with about 55 of them being FFI (Interior combat certified). We currently train our own, but I hear one of the proposals is to only allow the certified training centers to do the class in the future. That will make it very costly for us.

Yeah, it is discouraging. Got my minimum standards and EMT-B state license last year. When I started Fire School in the Fall of '06, never in my wildest dreams I thought it will be hard. All I can do is remain optimistic and keep looking even if it means traveling more than 100 miles to find a fire department that is hiring. If hired, gonna have to move. In the meantime, I gotta continue to volunteer during my downtime from my day job to maintain my standards.

Forum Member

Thanks to all who have replied,

It seems like the best chances one has to getting on is being a Paramedic/Firefighter, does Florida have an age cap? I will be 34 when I get my EMT cert and then move on to my FF I & II certs. Just wondering if the time and money is worth it. I can truly say that I miss being on a department (paid volunteer) and I feel that if I don't give it a shot I'll regret it, but to spend the time and money to not really having a shot is troublesome.

Also I've been searching for volunteer departments and didn't find any, does anyone have a list of departments?

It seems like the best chances one has to getting on is being a Paramedic/Firefighter, does Florida have an age cap? I will be 34 when I get my EMT cert and then move on to my FF I & II certs. Just wondering if the time and money is worth it. I can truly say that I miss being on a department (paid volunteer) and I feel that if I don't give it a shot I'll regret it, but to spend the time and money to not really having a shot is troublesome.

Also I've been searching for volunteer departments and didn't find any, does anyone have a list of departments?
    Where do you plan on moving to? I am a volunteer on a dept that is surrounded by combo depts.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

In florida, I have not heard of any age caps for new hires. A matter of fact, I've met new hire FFs at various depts in their 40s. Age should not discourage you at all. I believe...the only thing you need to be conscious about is your fitness. Gotta be in great shape to compete against the younger recruits which many are 10 or more years younger than you are -competing against you for that career FF job. These 40 year olds I've met weren't vet FFs, all were rookies that decided to change careers.
    Good Luck!

Forum Member

BLSboy,

I was looking to move to the Ocala area, which department are you on?

Dell205,

I have been really conscious of physical requirements, I train every day plus one benefit is being on a department before will make the academy a little easier from a mental standpoint. I'm kinda of leaning towards getting my EMT certs first than going to the Fire College in Ocala after. If I can't find a fire fighting job it seems that EMT's are in demand. I found many job boards posting them. Do you find this to be true? What is the average pay? I've seen from 30+ to even 40.

marion county is almost always hiring

Forum Member

2tonegator,

Does it have a high turn over rate?

BLSboy,

I was looking to move to the Ocala area, which department are you on?

Dell205,

I have been really conscious of physical requirements, I train every day plus one benefit is being on a department before will make the academy a little easier from a mental standpoint. I'm kinda of leaning towards getting my EMT certs first than going to the Fire College in Ocala after. If I can't find a fire fighting job it seems that EMT's are in demand. I found many job boards posting them. Do you find this to be true? What is the average pay? I've seen from 30+ to even 40.
    I am on Indian Harbour Beach FD, over in Brevard County.
    Look at Marion County F/R. I know they are hurting for career guys, so look for a chance for them to put you through the academy.
    I know that Lake/Sumter County EMS is hiring EMTs for 24/48 shift work. Pay ain't great, but its something....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

2tonegator,

Does it have a high turn over rate?
    Yes. There was an article about it somewhere.....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

a lot of the guys who get hired here come from south florida and want to go back. so yes there is a high turnover rate. the pay is on the lower end, but is getting better. they will hire single cert firefighter, ff/emt, and ff/medic, right now. once a year or so they will hire people with no certs and put them through all the training.

if hired with no paramedic cert, you will be required to go within 5 years. classes are paid for, but you pay for books. after completion you must stay at mcfr for 2 years or you will have to pay them back. pretty good deal, if you want to become a medic.

as of right now we are about 300-350 ff strong. after we take over the local ambulance service we will grow to about 600. we are taking on the ambulance people and hiring from the outside.

but if you are looking to get a job or at least a foot in the door, i would definitely apply with marion county.

Forum Member

BLSboy,

Thanks for the info!! pay really isn't much of a factor, due to my wife make a really good living. I'm currently in Boston working as a senior web designer and will be moving in August of this year and was trying to get all my ducks in order before I make a career change. I just read the article and seems like if i'm not worried about pay than I could have a good chance. Do you need your FLA drivers licenses or be a resident to apply?

Thread Information