Default What can we do!!?

does anyone know what tranning we can do with out alot of gear?, we need to tranning planes but have no idea what to do, please give some ideas.

Forum Member

How much gear is not alot?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefoster View Post
    does anyone know what tranning we can do with out alot of gear?, we need to tranning planes but have no idea what to do, please give some ideas.
    What you can do as an explorer in training depends on where you are and what your departments rules are along with what your explorer posts rules are, yes they may differ just a little bit (check it out).
    All you really need for gear as a Jr Firefighter or Explorer is:
    A set of bunker pants, a coat, helmet, gloves , boots, flash hood (maybe depends on how in depth your allowed to go with training)safety goggles id guess.( i don't have them my eye protection is the goggles attached to my helmet not that as a junior firefighter ill really ever need them but better safe than sorry!) hope that helped again its really up to your department and your post leaders as well as there insurance companies rules or restrictions also apply.

Forum Member

I have to agree with one of the above posters. What are we talking about when you say "without a lot of gear"???

You can do plenty of things, although they may be better with gear. You can practice search techniques in a dark room with a blindfold on. Sure it's not like what it would really be like but hey it's good practice none the less. You can do knot tying. Definitely don't need a lot of gear for that. Practice raising and lowering ladders. The most you might need for that is a helmet for the people doing the task and gloves, I'm sure you could muster that much. There is plenty of stuff you can do without having all sorts of gear.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

If I knew what you were asking I would be glad to help you.

Can you or someone else please tell me what this poster is trying to say???
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

things to do...

Practice knots(get a pair of gloves for this)
    inventory
    layout, if you guys are in an area with hydrants
    throwing ladders(if you can get helmets and gloves)
    building construction. Knowing your first due is very important.
    Last edited by somebody509; 03-13-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Forum Member

You can ask for a lecture in fire attack. You can watch videos together. You can practice tying a tanker into a pumper. You can pull hose. I really like the knot tying and layout though. You can also practice salvage techniques. The possibilities are endless, you just have to think outside the box. Also, while training, you can swap out gear for the people who have already done their exercise with the people that haven't.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default What you may be able to do?

Look at a basic firefighter course. Depending on what state your in and what restrictions your department may have, a Burn Tower may not be needed.

Gone.

Turn off the lights and crawl along the walls with a bandanna tied around your head.

Forum Member

You could sit in on an English class. That doesn't require any gear.

Cheers Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Forum Member

Book learnin'!! Lot's of book learnin'. Get a basic undestanding of how a pump works, HazMat, First Aid. Work with a Senior firefighter and learn where everything is on the trucks. Play "What I do if I were the Chief". (Meaning have someone come up with an emergency, and you act as the Chief, giving assignments, calling for help, etc....)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedog21 View Post
    You could sit in on an English class. That doesn't require any gear.

Cheers Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Sorry I couldn't help myself.
    Wait a sec................

You guys speak English in Canada?!

These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Wait a sec................

You guys speak English in Canada?!

Except for some maritime provinces where they have their own sort of language yes. But I will say this much, bash brother or not you make fun of my country I'll put a whoppin on yah.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Except for some maritime provinces where they have their own sort of language yes. But I will say this much, bash brother or not you make fun of my country I'll put a whoppin on yah.
    Oh don't worry brother, I love Canada, my family has a house in Fort Erie over by buffalo. I'm up there all the time.........some damn good times.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Oh don't worry brother, I love Canada, my family has a house in Fort Erie over by buffalo. I'm up there all the time.........some damn good times.
    Good to hear. I really didn't want to hurt you.

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Take off, hoser! Eh!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefoster View Post
    If you could raise money buy turnouts on ebay, you could get old retired gear for cheap. If not then get a pair of knee pads and blind fold yourself and do your search in a dark room.

Forum Member

Canadia, eh? I just recently had the privilege of working with four Canadian brothers at a structure burn class in Pennsylvania. They drove over five hours to attend the two day class.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I don't usually venture into this forum, it's MUCH too painful, but "I just HAD to do it", too.

However ... I'll take it one step further than my neighbour to the north (HI firedog!) and suggest point blank that you might want to spend some more time doing your homework and working on your spelling than worrying about what kind of training you can do, with or without gear.

It took me awhile to figure out he/she meant "plans". I was like "training PLANES???" Talk about being "Dazed & Confused". No wonder I never read the Jr. forums!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

You could always do EMS training

EMS training ideas:

1. CPR
    2. AED
    3. Basic First Aid (Bleeding management, Airway management, OB/GYN, Medical Emergencies,etc.)

Just my 2 cents.
    -COURAGE-VIGILANCE-DUTY-HONOR-
    Fort Worth Fire Department

Learn your job
    Educate your team
    Appreciate their efforts
    Double your own efforts
    Earn their respect
    Return it to them

Have I not commanded you be strong and courageous? Do not be terrified, Do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go!

---Joshua 1:9

Forum Member

learn the trucks is the biggest thing. You don't want to look stupid on the fireground. Try hitting the hydrant. Get it down so that you are quick at it. If you do rescue practice cribbing a car. Work on knowing your senior fire fighters. Know what tools they like. This will make you look good. Like others said practice with things like cpr c-spine knots are another big thing. Practice your listening skills. If you have a scanner then put it on and then put the tv or radio on. This will help you be able to sharpen your skills when you are on the fire ground and everyone is shouting and sirens are blasting and you are waiting to hear someone over the radio say charge the hydrant.

And if you are bored and haning at the fire house then clean it. It looks good for when you go to go to a call. At my company you need to be told to get on the truck before you can get on. They won't take you if you didn't do anything there that day.

Thread Information