Forum Member

Exclamation will we ever learn ?

Just after my neighboring dept. burried two firefighters today i get on the internet tonight and see fireman hanging out of burning buildings not wearing all of there ppe. I know pictures dont tell the whole story but no scba in a picture is still no scba.This job is dangerous enough we dont need to make things worse on ourselves. Dont want to start a s**t storm but take care of yourselves. Think about your dept. and family the next time you get on the truck going to a call. Make sure you have everything right.

Forum Member

Good point.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Stupid is as stupid does!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by robbinkley View Post
    Just after my neighboring dept. burried two firefighters today i get on the internet tonight and see fireman hanging out of burning buildings not wearing all of there ppe. I know pictures dont tell the whole story but no scba in a picture is still no scba.This job is dangerous enough we dont need to make things worse on ourselves. Dont want to start a s**t storm but take care of yourselves. Think about your dept. and family the next time you get on the truck going to a call. Make sure you have everything right.
    Well, to answer your question.......Some will, some won't!! We will just leave it at that!!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

My fire instructor told us all that we were going to have an option to be safe and do everything properly (full ppe, checking bottles/equip, seatbelts ect....) or we could look "cool". He then went on to say how taking the safe option might just save our life while looking cool wouldn't help very well in a life threatening situation.

I'm tired of the excuses of people not checking their bottles. There has been plenty of times where I check all the bottles right when I get in and they are down to 3000 psi on a 4500 tank. When confronted I always hear "Where I used to be we used 3000 tanks and we were fine". That's not the right attitude. If the bottle needs filled, FILL IT. Yea, allot of our fires are single family homes, but sometimes we get that huge apt. complex working and there are some highrise buildings and that extra 1000psi that they were to lazy to top off might just make the difference between them living and dying.

I've become rather touchy on this subject. It angers me and scares how people just don't care.
    We all make mistakes and sometimes it costs us allot. We learn, sometimes at a horrible cost but there is no excuse to not do everything you can to prevent the mistakes from happening in the first place.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SmallBrownBass View Post
    I'm tired of the excuses of people not checking their bottles. There has been plenty of times where I check all the bottles right when I get in and they are down to 3000 psi on a 4500 tank. When confronted I always hear "Where I used to be we used 3000 tanks and we were fine". That's not the right attitude. If the bottle needs filled, FILL IT. Yea, allot of our fires are single family homes, but sometimes we get that huge apt. complex working and there are some highrise buildings and that extra 1000psi that they were to lazy to top off might just make the difference between them living and dying.
    It is not only the work that lies ahead of you but what you don't know that can be a set-up for a world of hurt. Such as a drop ceiling falling in on you or any other entanglement issue that may arise.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

A few months ago, I sat in on a lecture from a couple guys from Seattle FD. The lecture was on air conservation, and the policies that SFD has created that support air conservation. Checking gauges before, during and on exit from an IDLH situation was paramount in the presentation. Basically thats a long winded story to say I support FDIAC's comments.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    A few months ago, I sat in on a lecture from a couple guys from Seattle FD. The lecture was on air conservation, and the policies that SFD has created that support air conservation. Checking gauges before, during and on exit from an IDLH situation was paramount in the presentation. Basically thats a long winded story to say I support FDIAC's comments.

It's called the Rule of Air Management (ROAM), and it's been written about in FH mag and Fire Engineering. It's a good program imo.

http://manageyourair.com/

Thread Information