Forum Member

Default Language Barrier

I came across this video, and all i have to say is wow....

Some Guy

These are the days of our lives...
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Channeling in German....

Das ist FRACKED!

ˇConsiga adentro allí y ponga el fuego hacia fuera!

See? that was easy!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

This is getting a bit rediculous!

Forum Member

Another reason California is the most screwed up place on earth.

Oh wait...that was Oregon!
    IAFF

Forum Member

If these guys were getting the pay they deserve for the work that they do and the hazards they experience, you wouldn't see this language gap. Everything's done on the cheap, and wildland firefighting which is extremely labor-intensive and without much glory tends to struggle with recruitment. Contract firefighting (extremely common in Oregon) is probably exacerbating this entire problem.

Doesn't really seem to be a big problem in California, at least in my experience.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Another reason California is the most screwed up place on earth.

Oh wait...that was Oregon!

If California had a queer(er) cousin...guess which state it would be?

I wonder if I sneek into France if I can too demand that they speak English to me and drop that nasally sissy talk they are accustomed to?

Why do so many citizens of this country insist on working so hard towards its demise?

FTM-PTB

PS-Perhaps those who are fired can sue the State of Oregon for being discriminated against...on what basis you ask?

According to Chapter 659A — Unlawful Discrimination in Employment,Public Accommodations and Real Property Transactions; Administrative and Civil Enforcement

UNLAWFUL EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION BECAUSE OF RACE, RELIGION, COLOR, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, MARITAL STATUS OR AGE

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 03-14-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    If California had a queer(er) cousin...guess which state it would be?

I wonder if I sneek into France if I can too demand that they speak English to me and drop that nasally sissy talk they are accustomed to?

Why do so many citizens of this country insist on working so hard towards its demise?

FTM-PTB

PS-Perhaps those who are fired can sue the State of Oregon for being discriminated against...on what basis you ask?

According to Chapter 659A — Unlawful Discrimination in Employment,Public Accommodations and Real Property Transactions; Administrative and Civil Enforcement

UNLAWFUL EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION BECAUSE OF RACE, RELIGION, COLOR, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, MARITAL STATUS OR AGE

FTM-PTB
    thanks for your explanations about France and the way we are SUPPOSED to talk,lol.that is awesome.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Truckie

The liberals on the left coast are going to vote themselves out of their own states. But they get, and deserve, all the problems their policies create. To bad it's the average joe that has to suffer.
    Like every other great nation, we will destroy ourselves from with in.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

The Merchant Marine and the river industry has a requirement that the crew speak enough of the vessel's flag state language to understand orders as in during an emergency when communication is downright critical.
    I haven't heard any Spanish speakers on the river but I sure have heard a lot of Cajun French whenever a dredge is working in the Memphis area.

We had a call on my old department where the LT/EMT couldn't get a straight answer out of the patient.
    He kept asking her if she had any pain or inability to move and she kept saying "No"until we were about to backboard her as a precaution.THEN she spoke up and mentioned that her leg hurt and that she could move it.
    We chalked it up to the fact that she'd just moved to the US from the Phillipines and had learned school girl English and "Joe" grew up speaking "Kentucky"with a chaw in his mouth usually.
    Last edited by doughesson; 03-15-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    thanks for your explanations about France and the way we are SUPPOSED to talk,lol.that is awesome.
    Just remember! If it weren't for us, you'd be speaking German right now!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

This is old news guys....here's what ODF's website says about it.

Language requirements

English is the language of wildland firefighting. It is the national standard. It is spoken in briefings and on two-way radios, and is the language of operating plans, reports and other documents.

Hispanic and Native American contract crews have operated in the west with bilingual leadership since the 1960s.

The number of Hispanic crews in the Northwest has increased markedly in recent years. A count of Spanish surnames on crew rosters suggests that about 85 percent of current contract firefighters are of Hispanic descent. This rough estimate doesn’t indicate how many crew members speak English.

There is no contract requirement that supervisors on contract crews speak any language other than English. There is a requirement that supervisors be able to communicate with the workers for whom they are responsible. This is essential to ensure that all personnel are made aware of safety hazards that can develop quickly in firefighting.

Consequently, if private companies elect to hire crew members who do not speak English, those supervisors must be bilingual or multilingual.

Clackamas Community College in cooperation with ODF has developed a standardized language evaluation process to assure that crew supervisors of non-English speaking crews have adequate English language skills (reading and speaking) to operate safely and effectively in the all English language fire management environment.

The test will also assure they are able to translate important fire operations and fire safety information to their non-English speaking crewmembers.

This language skill assessment has been used to test 80 contract crew leaders this spring, with 40 more to be tested in July. The assessment will become a required element in contracts in 2007.

Clackamas Community College offers English language classes to those who do not pass the language test.

Public agencies have not found it necessary to require all frontline crew members to speak English. Bilingual supervision has proved successful in ensuring adequate crew safety and performance.

Due to the nature of the work, English proficiency is required for direct employment by ODF.

No ODF employees have been fired or demoted because of any language requirement; there is no requirement other than English proficiency for agency employees.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Just remember! If it weren't for us, you'd be speaking German right now!

nice to meet you and glad that you stay so calm.lol.becareful to your blood pressure that is bad for your heart,really.you are free to say what you want,np for me.

but this is sad,if you are full of anger.really sorry for you.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Thread Information