Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glove recall?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Glove recall?

No gear forum, so I'll try here. I was told by someone yesterday that they thought they'd heard that there was a recall on Pro-Tech 8 gloves. Can anyone verify this? We've not received notification and a google search didn't even bring up much on the gloves themselves.

Forum Member

Looks like a bogus statement. Here is their website http://www.techtradellc.com/index.ph...id=1&Itemid=61 go to the link about smear campaign.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, of course the pdf files don't load fully, our station's network blows...good to know that it was just rumor mill though, we've got at least 20 pairs of these issued presently and it would be a headache to replace them all!

Forum Member

Post no recall

none that I have heard of and my department has fielded thousands of them

Forum Member

I emailed a local dealer who sells the pro-tech's and he advised me that the new NFPA standard for gear makes the pro-tech 8's non compliant (I know what most think of NFPA i'm just sayin). However he did say that the titans that should be coming out soon will far surpass whatever caused the pro-tech 8s to make the gloves non compliant.

Guess the total fire group and their superglove just can't stand when a superior product out sells it.
    Last edited by Firefighter2230; 03-14-2008 at 09:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, good old "National Firegear Producers Association".

Quote Originally Posted by mtngael View Post
    No gear forum, so I'll try here. I was told by someone yesterday that they thought they'd heard that there was a recall on Pro-Tech 8 gloves. Can anyone verify this? We've not received notification and a google search didn't even bring up much on the gloves themselves.

From what I have heard the glove was never NFPA certified and they now are repalcing it because they got caught. You should be refunded for every penny that you spent.

Question rescue1andall

I also heard rumor of a recall on the Protech8 glove. We have been comparing the Protech8 to other gloves and I have noticed that my hands do get warm fast in the thin Protech8's vs the others that offer more in protection. I did go to the Techtrade website as referenced and they do confirm on there that the Protech8 is now a non compliant glove. What happened?! They do not offer any specific information or details as to why they are non compliant! Are these gloves not safe for us to wear? Does anyone have any details on what exactly happened to this glove?
    Thanks everyone and Stay Safe

Think about guys if a company has a glove certified as a NFPA product and then that certifiction gets pulled? Doesn't that sound strange to you? Go to the SEI website, they are the company that certifies the glove, there is not certification to NFPA.

Yes....... I know who cares about NFPA? NFPA is made up of a bunch of manufactures...... etc, etc. But NFPA is not made up ALL of manufactures, there are representatives from fire departments all over the country on these committees, including also large testing and reasearch companys and representatives from IAFC and IAFF. All these people have a voice and opionion in the NFPA processes. And all these people no matter how much it may look like a "Witch Hunt" against others have a ultimate goal and concern about YOUR SAFETY!

Question Pro Tech 8 gloves ???

Does anyone know what is really going on with these gloves. My department purchased these about 2 months ago. They are not the best i have used, but they are not the worst. If they are no londer certified, then will there be a recall?

They were third party certified to be NFPA compliant. The gloves were tagged that way, SEI listed them as certified, etc.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

It's my understanding that the Pro-Techs were NFPA compliant when manufactured, but the standard has now changed. Based on that the old gloves are still compliant since they met the standard when manufactured. New sales must meet the new standard which the Pro-Tech 8's do not. The new Titans will apparantly meet the new standard.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default fyi !!!! gloves

FDNY R&D and companies in the field have tested these glove and recalled them from the companies for these issues of the melting temp and that when they get wet the insides come out and become usless. so be warned!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default fyi !!! gloves

FDNY R&D and companies in the field have tested these glove and recalled them from the companies for these issues of the melting temp and that when they get wet the insides come out and become usless. so be warned!!!

The gloves were certified as NFPA compliant by SEI. I was told the good folks at Total Fire Group (Morning Pride, Am. Firewear) who loves to bash competitors convinced the NFPA to reinterpret or modify the standard to fail them. I've seen people at shows taking a blowtorch to the inside of the glove to show that it would melt. (not part of NFPA test) I think a blowtorch inside your glove would probably melt your hand first

Forum Member

Default FDNY and Pro-Tech 8

redlin 91 your comments are misleading. FDNY issues with Pro-Tech 8 were due to the formal interpretations of the NFPA standard that brought on changes in the lab testing which lead to delisting of the glove for NFPA compliance. They did not have issues with melting temps per se.
    How can you say the glove insides come out and are useless when wet if the glove liners are sewn in at each finger tip?

Default Pro-tech 8 De-certification - Urgent!!!

On August 28, 2008 The Nfpa Standards Council Issued A Ruling That Upheld The Entire Appeal From Techtrade Llc (pro-tech 8 Manufacturer) Concerning Nfpa 1971 Committee " Formal Interpretations" That Led To The De-certification Of Pro-tech 8 Gloves Earleir This Year.
    In This Stunning Decision, The Nfpa Standards Council Rejected Both The Substance Of And The Actual Procedure By Which The 1971 Committee Issued These Formal Interpretations! These Formal Interpretations Will Be Withdrawn.

The Decision Itself Will Be Available On The Pro-tech8.com Web-site Next Week And Also On The Nfpa Site Shortly.
    As The Complete Ramifications Of This Decision Become Clear, More Info Should Be Available On The Pro-tech8 Site.

Hopefully This Ruling Will Lead The Nfpa To Re-examine The Role Played By And Especially The Procedures By Which Manufacturers Are Permitted To Sit On The Nfpa 1971 Committee. The Pro-tech 8 Episode Is A Sad Example Of What Can Potentially Go Wrong When Large Powerful Manufacturers Sit On The 1971 Committee For Decades And Use Their Bully Pulpit And Connections To Intimidate And Attempt To Destroy Smaller Innovative Competitors.

Default Pro-TEch 8 certification

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty32 View Post
    Think about guys if a company has a glove certified as a NFPA product and then that certifiction gets pulled? Doesn't that sound strange to you? Go to the SEI website, they are the company that certifies the glove, there is not certification to NFPA.

Yes....... I know who cares about NFPA? NFPA is made up of a bunch of manufactures...... etc, etc. But NFPA is not made up ALL of manufactures, there are representatives from fire departments all over the country on these committees, including also large testing and reasearch companys and representatives from IAFC and IAFF. All these people have a voice and opionion in the NFPA processes. And all these people no matter how much it may look like a "Witch Hunt" against others have a ultimate goal and concern about YOUR SAFETY!
    Dear Dirty 32,

Seems it all WAS a witch hunt after all!!! Upon appeal, on August 28, 2008 the NFPA Standards Council withdrew the NFPA 1971 Committee "formal interpretations" (f/i's) that led to the earlier de-certification of Pro-Tech 8 gloves. These f/i's are to be withdrawn in their entirety.

In this stunning decision the Standards Council rejected the f/i's on both their substance and also based on IMPROPER PROCEDURE by the Committee itself!
    It is naive to think that all NFPA 1971 Committee activity is good and pure and all in the interest of firefighter safety. The 1971 Committee does indeed do much good and important work. However, the behavior of certain manufacturer members on the Committee and other non manufacturing members in the name of firefighter safety, is in fact deplorable!
    Some of the other "voices" on the Committee that you refer to in your post are also FAR from pristine in their motives. I can assure you I speak about all of this from first hand experience. Same as you, I wish this were not true but sadly it is! Trust me you do not even know the tip of the iceberg of the Pro-Tech 8 "story".
    The full ramifications of the Standards Council decision in this matter are as yet unclear. The pro-tech 8 web-site will post the actual NFPA ruling shorty
    and follow up information as available.

Thread Information