MembersZone Subscriber

Oh..and in addition to my post above...

I also volunteer as a reserve deputy sheriff in my county. I am a sworn law enforcement officer and I can get suited up and go out and serve as a police officer any time I wish. Chances are much more likely for me to be shot or injured as a police officer, these days. No-one on my crew pokes fun at me or complains about that.

So, it's not all about the risk of being injured, at least not here. The main problem is here the career FF's here have no use, or understanding of volunteers. Even though some of them used to do it...they act like they are better than them/us.

I just show up, do my job, and I don't talk about what I do on my days off.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by JaredMTFD View Post
    blah blah blah
    Who are you again? ....

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Did we kill another horse just to beat it, or did the dead one get reanimated in some kind of Frankensteinish experiment:
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Everyone just do what the hell you want! If it won't get you in trouble, then have at it.

If you're in NH do things however your local culture does them, same thing for those of you in WI, CA, and TX. Why waste time fighting about it on here?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Who are you again? ....

What's it to you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaredMTFD View Post
    I reside in the district that I volunteer in. It is 20 miles away from the city where I am a career FF. What I do on my days off, is my business. As long as I show up to work on time, do my job, and do it well, there's nothing anyone can say.

If I want to skydive, jump of bridges, race cars, put out fires, go to MVA's/EMS calls, or train wild horses....it's MY LIFE and MY BUSINESS and NO-ONE is going to tell me what I can or can't do on my days off.
    When I'm home off the clock, I do what I want. If I choose to volunteer and serve the community that I live in, then I will.

When it's time to be at work, I'm there, and do my job well. When I leave at 7AM to go home, I do what I want. I may catch run at 7:25 as I'm coming back into town. I'm off the clock; I'll do what I want.

I really have no idea what the local IAFF thinks about it, and personally I don't care. They can encourage it, or be ****ed, it matters not to me.
    Well, if you are an IAFF member... don't expect the brothers of your local to bend over backwards should you get hurt doing your volunteer gig or playing Deputy Dawg... If you don't care, then why should they?

If you are not an IAFF member. then what the IAFF position is doesn't concern you anyways...

PS: it's not only the IAFF's position. There are communities looking to protect their investments in their firefighters and have the non volunteer firefighting clause written into their contract agreements. If you choose to ignore that, and you do get hurt.. how will you explain it to the Brass?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    My guess is you need to research that in California and be sure of your facts before you declare workers comp at nothing for volunteer firefighters.
    Already done.

I stand by my original statement.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Your local and international fight for you benifits, pay, safety and job security. Why would you jepardize that to hang around the fire house? Spend time with your family on your days off.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm the Assistant Chief of my 15 member volunteer fire department that I helped form 12 years ago. The nearest paid department (no local) is a combo department 15 miles away that staffs one paid man 24 hours a day. The nearest IAFF Local is in a department in the next county, about 25 miles away.

I work as a union firefighter 40 miles from my home. The city and local have no policy against being a volunteer firefighter, as far as I know.

A few of my co-workers volunteer as well. We don't talk about, make a big deal out of it, or say, "Well at the VFD we do it this way..."

I didn't decide to be a career firefighter for the benefits (but I like 'em). I decided to be a career firefighter because I love it.

I didn't decide to help form a VFD because I wanted to be a firefighter (I caught that bug later. I decided to form a VFD because I wanted someone to be able to respond to my home if it caught fire.

There are days (and today is one of them) that I would like to walk away from the VFD because it's a royal pain in th a**.

However, I have a lot invested personally in the department, and feel obilgated to help make it as good as it can be.

Could I get hurt volunteering? Yup. Could I get hurt driving to the grocery store? Yup. I don't come home from work, lock myself in a bomb shelter and hold a blanket over my head so I don't risk losing my benefits from my paid job.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Well, if you are an IAFF member... don't expect the brothers of your local to bend over backwards should you get hurt doing your volunteer gig or playing Deputy Dawg... If you don't care, then why should they?
    i'm not trying to stoke the fire even more but it sounds like his local brothers are supporting him.

just a side bar. if you were a volunteer would you like to learn from a person and work side by side with a person who has more experience because they are paid to do the same thing else where? That was not meant to be rude, just some food for thought and maybe get some other opinions waying in. it's always productive to hear other sides of the story.

MembersZone Subscriber

As an interesting side note, the SAFER program under AFG will give a low score to an application based upon not allowing your paid members to volunteer while off duty. This element is graded equally as the others.

"Volunteer discrimination: A statement regarding how the applicant plans to meet the requirement to ensure that firefighters in positions filled under SAFER grants are not discriminated against for, or prohibited from, engaging in volunteer activities in another jurisdiction during off-duty hours."

This creates an interesting dilema for a union department looking to create jobs and increase staffing.
    Scott Van Boerum
    Battalion Chief - Training
    Green Valley Fire District
    Green Valley, AZ

Forum Member

Default WC benefits

California law does in fact make available worker compensation benefits to volunteer firefighters. Most states do.

Connecticut just passed legislation banning municipalities from putting in their contracts prohibitions against volunteer firefighting. Effective for all municipalities upon the expiration of their respective current collective bargained agreement with the Local.

The whole paid/volly chest bumping is a collosal waste of time. Do your job, do it well. Worry about yourself, not what your brothers do in their spare time.

Thread Information