Thread: This just in!

Forum Member

Angry This just in!

Firefighter charged with arson
    http://www.ksee24.com/news/local

By KSEE 24 News
    South Valley authorities have arrested a volunteer firefighter in connection with arson fires in new homes under construction.

Justin Gomez faces three counts of arson, one count of attempted arson, two counts of burglary, and one count of possession of a combustible material and one count of willfully setting a fire. His bail has set at $510,000.

Gomez was a volunteer firefighter with the Hanford Fire Department.

IAFF

Forum Member

I'd love to say "I'm shocked"...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Wink

Here we go again...

Forum Member

Ruh Roh
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

i would like to have a special "eraser" to make disappear in the same sentence:firefighter and arson.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

In the interest of fairness, since we are all so surprised by a volunteer arsonist.

Ex-FDNY Firefighters Guilty in Firehouse Blaze

Two former firefighters pleaded guilty Thursday to lesser charges in a blaze they set at a firehouse as a prank last year.

Michael Izzo, 30, pleaded guilty to felony reckless endangerment for a promised sentence of one to three years in prison. He faced up to 15 years if he had been convicted of the initial arson charge after trial.

Richard Capece, 31, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor reckless endangerment in exchange for a sentence of five months in jail and 100 hours of community service. He, too, faced 15 years if he had been convicted of arson.

Sentencings were set for May 1.

Izzo and Capece were accused of using a flammable liquid to set a door on fire at the Engine 34 firehouse on Oct. 27, 2007. Another firefighter saw smoke enter the firehouse and alerted on-duty firefighters, who put out the blaze. No one was hurt.

Capece's lawyer, Arthur Aidala, said his client was "devastated" because he has been fired from the Fire Department of New York.

"He had found his calling as a firefighter," the lawyer said.

Izzo's lawyer, Steve Gordon, had argued that the sentences should be similar on the ground that the defendants had equally redeeming qualities. He said both had given several years of service to the city and were remorseful.

Gordon said Izzo would never have wanted to see anyone there injured and had resigned.[/I]

The next time there is an article of volunteer arsonists and career arsonists on the same headline, let's post both. It only seems fair.

And let's remeber that the most prolifick serial firefighter-arsonist was a career fire investigator. Who killed two people in one of the thousands of fires he set.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 03-15-2008 at 04:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

LaFireEducator – Thanks for posting that article. Tired of seeing comments about volunteers and how they are arsonists. ”Oh look – what a surprise- another volunteer arsonist” You people need to grow up!!

I very rarely post on firehouse forum anymore because of the ignorance some people have on here.

Ranting session in progress:

1) Oh look I have 5,000 posts and I’m a career firefighter so I’m smarter, more experienced than you!!

2) You spelled one word wrong so I will post a comment on your topic and just tell you “you’re an idiot because you spelled a word wrong – Let me guess you are a volunteer?”

3) How about all the Monday night quarterbacking!!

I could keep going on and on but I will end my rant here!!

PS: If there are any misspelled words write Bill Gates and tell him his Microsoft Word spell check sucks!! And no I don't wear 2 hoods or 2 gloves!!
    Last edited by Asstchief1630; 03-15-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Forum Member

I'm still trying to find any articles about volunteer plumbers, carpenters or electricians. Who, out of the goodness of their hearts and desire to serve their communities, will build or repair houses for free. 24 hours a day 365 days a year. BTW, I'm not holding my breath.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

I bet that you don't wonder if you have enough lights on your POV either,asstchief.
    I file arsonistic FFs,be they career or volunteer under the same listing"axeholes".
    There's another listing:forkin' maroon.We had a guy just join my old department that bragged about how much time he had at his last one and what a hotshot he was.
    The first public meeting we took him to after he'd been voted on was to show some Cub Scouts out gear and how we search for missing people.
    One red flag was that he was scoping out some of the girls helping the Dem Mothers who just happened to be underage(the girls,not the DMs)That alone made me start keeping my distance from him.
    The first actual training meeting he attended,we got tapped out for a wreck on where the probie school members were detailed to traffic control half a mile away on either side.We had a fatality.'Nuff said there.
    Turns out the newbie and another guy both worked with the deceased and attended the funeral where the new guy was overheard to tell family members how their loved one had died"Screaming,covered with blood and begging us to cut his arms off to get him out...". This despite being the aforementioned 1,000 yards away and unable to even see the scene except for lights.
    The other guy's wife heard that part,told her husband who proceeded to call the chain of command until he got an officer who wasn't out of town training.
    On his own initiiative,the LT called the newbie and ordered him to return any department gear he already had and to not respond to any calls until otherwise ordered.
    The Trustees had an emergency meeting and decided to overturn their vote on him.
    Our next call,the officer above noticed his vehicle was present on scene and went to the nearest deputy and suggested that the primer grey Ford be made to go away for safety reasons.The driver's safety,the officer's reasons.
    I don't know why firefighting draws people that want to start fires or recount stuff that they need to shut up about.
    This job is dangerous enough without having someone get bored and make up a run for us or to add to a family's misery.

Good thing's happening

Hey La,

Heres a article for you to read...

http://www.silive.com/news/advance/i...180.xml&coll=1

Quote Originally Posted by Staten Island Advance
    2 firefighters plead guilty to arson
    They admitted setting the front door of a Manhattan firehouse ablaze last year as a prank
    Friday, March 14, 2008
    By DOUG AUER
    STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Two of Staten Island's Bravest learned yesterday that playing with fire is no laughing matter.

Former firefighters Michael Izzo, 30, of Prince's Bay, and Richard Capece, 31, of Willowbrook, face jail time after admitting yesterday they set a Manhattan firehouse ablaze in October as a prank.

Izzo pleaded guilty yesterday to felony reckless endangerment for a promised sentence of one to three years in prison. He faced up to 15 years had he been convicted of the initial arson charge after trial.

Capece pleaded guilty to misdemeanor reckless endangerment in exchange for a sentence of five months in jail and 100 hours of community service. He, too, had faced 15 years if convicted of arson.

Prosecutors say that on Oct. 27, just before 2:30 a.m., the two used an accelerant to set a door on fire at the Engine 34 firehouse in Hell's Kitchen.

Surveillance cameras apparently captured almost the entire incident, from the purchase of the gas can with Capece's credit card to the fire-starting, and the two men running away.

Another firefighter saw smoke enter the firehouse and alerted on-duty firefighters, who put out the fire.

Although no one was hurt, the incident infuriated FDNY brass.

"I'll say it's a big deal, absolutely," Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta remarked at the time. "Someone could have been hurt. This is not a prank. This is premeditated."

Manhattan state Supreme Court Justice Laura Ward scheduled the sentencings of Izzo and Capece for May 1.

Izzo had once been assigned to the Engine 34 firehouse, but FDNY sources previously told the Advance that he was disliked by colleagues and was pressured to transfer out.

He had been re-assigned to Engine Co. 242 in Bay Ridge.

At the time of the incident, both defendants had been assigned to Engine 35/Ladder 21 in midtown Manhattan.

However, both men were suspended without pay following the prank.

Advance archives show that in December 2004, Izzo and another Staten Islander opened a Japanese-French fusion restaurant called Dish two blocks away from the Engine Co. 242 firehouse in Brooklyn.

However, Izzo is no longer a partner in the restaurant, his business associate previously told the Advance.

Izzo's lawyer, Steve Gordon, had argued that the sentences for the defendants should be similar based on their equally redeeming qualities, their several years of service to the city and expressed remorse for their actions.

Gordon also said Izzo had supported his sickly single mother since he was in high school and never intended to see anyone hurt in the prank.

He has resigned from the FDNY, Gordon added.

Capece's lawyer, Arthur Aidala, said his client was "devastated" because he has been fired from the Fire Department, where he had found his "true calling."

Capece will serve his 100 hours of community service with a Brooklyn neighborhood improvement association, his lawyer added.

TAG: ASSOCIATED PRESS material was used in this report.

Doug Auer covers police and fire news for the Advance. He may be reached at auer@siadvance.com.
    rob

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    I'm still trying to find any articles about volunteer plumbers, carpenters or electricians. Who, out of the goodness of their hearts and desire to serve their communities, will build or repair houses for free. 24 hours a day 365 days a year. BTW, I'm not holding my breath.

umm..tradesmen and other professionals do tons of community service for free or just the cost of materials.

Find a way to have fully staffed apparatus in these very rural areas that don't have the tax base to support budgets over 100k a year.

I can't find any volunteer that thinks all paid departments should be abolished, why does it seem some paid guys think all vollys should be abolished?
    Last edited by nameless; 03-15-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    umm..tradesmen and other professionals do tons of community service for free or just the cost of materials.

Find a way to have fully staffed apparatus in these very rural areas that don't have the tax base to support budgets over 100k a year.

I can't find any volunteer that thinks all paid departments should be abolished, why does it seem some paid guys think all vollys should be abolished?
    To create paid positions that need to be filled.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    Maybe not 24/7/365, but you might look up Habitat for Humanity....
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    To create paid positions that need to be filled.
    That's one way to spin it. The way I prefer is different. I prefer a guarantee that someone is there to respond in a timely manner, no matter what day it is, what time it is, etc...

That is something you don't get with volunteers. It's not a slam, it's just the truth.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    That's one way to spin it. The way I prefer is different. I prefer a guarantee that someone is there to respond in a timely manner, no matter what day it is, what time it is, etc...

That is something you don't get with volunteers. It's not a slam, it's just the truth.

Thats a nice way to spin it, but we also live in a place called the "real world." We can paint these rosey pictures of fully staffed companies standing by at the ready, but good intentions won't pay for it. Do you also believe in universal health care and dental? You should also support the various social services that assure everyone can have food on the table, a roof over their head, and clothes to wear.

the 4-1-4

Thats a nice way to spin it, but we also live in a place called the "real world." We can paint these rosey pictures of fully staffed companies standing by at the ready, but good intentions won't pay for it. Do you also believe in universal health care and dental? You should also support the various social services that assure everyone can have food on the table, a roof over their head, and clothes to wear.

Nope. It's called choice. I choose to live where I have the things I need, or that I consider important. Paid fire protection is important to me. Because of that I will always live in a place that has the level of service I consider important. That's called real world; nice try though.

All I stated with my post is that with a volunteer department, you lose the reliability of a timely response.

So don't tell me what I should or shouldn't believe. It's called personal accountability and choice.

Forum Member

A simple posting about another dumb***** firebug starting fires, and people have to turn it into career vs vollie...

the 4-1-4

edited ...... double post
    Last edited by jasper45; 03-16-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Forum Member

Nope. It's called choice. I choose to live where I have the things I need, or that I consider important. Paid fire protection is important to me. Because of that I will always live in a place that has the level of service I consider important. That's called real world; nice try though.

All I stated with my post is that with a volunteer department, you lose the reliability of a timely response.

So don't tell me what I should or shouldn't believe. It's called personal accountability and choice.

choosing to live in a place that has paid fire protection is a lot different than saying there needs to be paid fire protection every where.

don't move the goal posts. You are skewing your argument with each response. Can we be adult and actually debate the issues or will you keep trying to change it slightly so you can feel right?

P.S. I suggest you find employment in a department that can justify its paid staffing and you don't have to worry so much about vollys in Po-dunk that might take your job.
    Last edited by nameless; 03-16-2008 at 02:11 PM.

the 4-1-4

choosing to live in a place that has paid fire protection is a lot different than saying there needs to be paid fire protection every where.

Here's exactly what I wrote :

I didn't move any "goal posts", you made assumptions on what I meant.

don't move the goal posts. You are skewing your argument with each response. Can we be adult and actually debate the issues or will you keep trying to change it slightly so you can feel right?

I feel right as is. In fact, I know that I'm right. I'm not skewing any argument with any responses. It's not my fault if you made an assumption without asking any further questions. Maybe ask a few more questions next time, or comprehend what is being said, rather than just assuming.

The statement I made was factual, especially in regard to volunteer departments with which I'm most familiar.

P.S. I suggest you find employment in a department that can justify its paid staffing and you don't have to worry so much about vollys in Po-dunk that might take your job.

My, won't you feel foolish with this statement. I can safely say that vollies will never take my job. I have worked my entire career in a department large enough to justify itself, and then some.
    I really couldn't care less what any vollies do anywhere, it doesn't affect me.
    Read the statement I made that got your undies all bunched up again.

Forum Member

Here's exactly what I wrote :

I didn't move any "goal posts", you made assumptions on what I meant.
    You wrote that in response to a comment made following my comment "I can't find any volunteer that thinks all paid departments should be abolished, why does it seem some paid guys think all vollys should be abolished?" So you should have clarified you only cared about where you live. Any reasonable individual who read that would also be believe you meant ensuring timely response everywhere.

I feel right as is. In fact, I know that I'm right. I'm not skewing any argument with any responses. It's not my fault if you made an assumption without asking any further questions. Maybe ask a few more questions next time, or comprehend what is being said, rather than just assuming.

The statement I made was factual, especially in regard to volunteer departments with which I'm most familiar.
    No one ever disputed response times, you brought that up yourself. Perhaps you should stick to the points and read the whole conversation before throwing in your half cent.

Besides the fact your argument is moot. People can move into areas protected by paid staffing. This has nothing to do with getting rid of volunteers and replacing them with paid staffing. So I'm not really sure why you even brought it up, unless you just have poor reading comprehension skills. Do you?

My, won't you feel foolish with this statement. I can safely say that vollies will never take my job. I have worked my entire career in a department large enough to justify itself, and then some.
    I really couldn't care less what any vollies do anywhere, it doesn't affect me.
    Read the statement I made that got your undies all bunched up again.
    Its hard to imagine why you seem so threatened by their existence and are concerned about "Your Career".

MembersZone Subscriber

Nameless....Quick question - Where do you live? I find it hard to believe that even with a paid department fully staffed won’t have delays. Granted I will agree that there response time getting out of the firehouse will be much better than the volunteers but they still could have the same response to the scene as a volunteer company has. Volunteers have to deal with distances paid guys have to deal with traffic and other things that could delay them. Unless you live across the street from the paid company disregard everything above......wait - if they are on another call then you doing to wait for a neighboring station to come.

the 4-1-4

You wrote that in response to a comment made following my comment "I can't find any volunteer that thinks all paid departments should be abolished, why does it seem some paid guys think all vollys should be abolished?" So you should have clarified you only cared about where you live. Any reasonable individual who read that would also be believe you meant ensuring timely response everywhere.
    Actually, I didn't write it in response to you at all. I wrote my reply to a different member's direct quote. They made a specific statement, and I replied directly to them. You never even entered into my thought process until you decided to come at me.

No one ever disputed response times, you brought that up yourself. Perhaps you should stick to the points and read the whole conversation before throwing in your half cent.
    I wasn't entering the entire conversation, as I never talked about firefighter arson, and whether it's career guys or vollies doing it. Someone made an opinion, and i offered a different thought that was never even directed at you.

Its hard to imagine why you seem so threatened by their existence and are concerned about "Your Career".
    Seem so threatened? I have no idea where you would get that from. I will stand with my fellow union members, and support them if this is an issue where they work, because that's what we do. I am in no way threatened. Apparently you are, otherwise you wouldn't have become so wound up.

As far as response times, I was referring to getting a rig on the road. There are places that don't have the benefit of good, reliable volunteers. If a community wants to have volunteers alone, great. I won't be living there, though.
    Last edited by jasper45; 03-16-2008 at 04:35 PM.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Asstchief1630 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that even with a paid department fully staffed won’t have delays. Granted I will agree that there response time getting out of the firehouse will be much better than the volunteers but they still could have the same response to the scene as a volunteer company has.

wait - if they are on another call then you doing to wait for a neighboring station to come.
    Chief, I was talking about having people in quarters to get to my house, if I need them. No more, no less.
    As far as your other statement, my department took in 80,000 or so runs last year. Almost 94% of the time we had someone on scene inside of 6 minutes of their dialing 911. In my opinion that's a pretty decent level of service. That is what I have come to expect out of a service level. The other points you brought up have been thought about, pre-planned and taken care of. Well, at least thought about.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief, I was talking about having people in quarters to get to my house, if I need them. No more, no less.
    As far as your other statement, my department took in 80,000 or so runs last year. Almost 94% of the time we had someone on scene inside of 6 minutes of their dialing 911. In my opinion that's a pretty decent level of service. That is what I have come to expect out of a service level. The other points you brought up have been thought about, pre-planned and taken care of. Well, at least thought about.
    80,000 runs?? im not going to tell you how many my dept runs, you would laugh at me...LOL.

Thread Information