Forum Member

Default possible tornado in Atlanta

All,

Around 9:30 this evening a severe thunderstorm with radar indicated tornado hit downtown Atlanta causing extensive damage to many mid and high rise structures as well as many event complexes including the GA Dome and the Omni. Currently GSAR (Georgia Search and Rescue) Teams from the city of Atlanta and two additional teams have been dispatched or are operating in downtown Atlanta at this time. So far most radio traffic indicates structural collapse on numerous buildings as well as multiple injuries.

All radio traffic for the incident can be heard on the internet at scanfulton.com the Atlanta fire feed. Also initial dispatch can be heard by clicking on the Feed Archive link and clicking on the date 3/14/08 then scrolling down to the 9:25pm time block and listening to the audio.

Further information will follow as the incident continues.

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

Looks like ATL got its butt kicked tonight. Seeing those scoreboards swinging in the sports arena is just ... Hope you all are safe. Keep your heads down!
    --jay.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MPVFD2046 View Post
    All,

Around 9:30 this evening a severe thunderstorm with radar indicated tornado hit downtown Atlanta causing extensive damage to many mid and high rise structures as well as many event complexes including the GA Dome and the Omni. Currently GSAR (Georgia Search and Rescue) Teams from the city of Atlanta and two additional teams have been dispatched or are operating in downtown Atlanta at this time. So far most radio traffic indicates structural collapse on numerous buildings as well as multiple injuries.

All radio traffic for the incident can be heard on the internet at scanfulton.com the Atlanta fire feed. Also initial dispatch can be heard by clicking on the Feed Archive link and clicking on the date 3/14/08 then scrolling down to the 9:25pm time block and listening to the audio.

Further information will follow as the incident continues.
    About 20 minutes after requesting 2 additional GSAR units AFD contacted GMAG for all available GSAR units in GA (I think the have around 10 units around Atlanta). Go to scanfulton.com if you would like to here radio traffic.
    David

MembersZone Subscriber

how is it a possible tornade?

It either hit or didnt hit....
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post

well till the national weather service get's there and survey's the damage, they just say possible till the NWS confirms that it actually was a tornado and just not a strong wind burst or something like that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post

There are a few things to consider... Having talked with an investigator after a possible tornado struck my neighborhood about 7 years ago taking out all of the big trees in a 1/4 mile path from the southwest to the north east, there's bunch of things they look at before they even consider going back and looking at the radar maps. First think is how much damage... Luckily, in my neighborhood, we had only trees down and in only one case, a tree came down behind a house and nearly split the wires from a house. A couple of the trees that came down were totally up-rooted and a few of them missed hitting cars by a few hairs. They look at the way the trees fell and if thre are any indication of things being spun in a circular fashion. In my case, the tree that went down across the street from me... The top section came down on the north side of it into the street (missing my neighbors car by a hair). The part of the tree that was left was spun counter clockwise where it split. Wish I had a picture of it because I looked freaky.
    Once the damage is tallied, they look at the radar maps. It was never determined what exactly hit my neighborhood... The local news said it was a possible microburst, but the NWS investigators left it undetermined. I know one person in my neighborhood that says he seen the funnel cloud. The tornado warning for my county didn't come in until we noticed the tree down across the street. The rotation in that storm cell, if I can recall correctly, was just south of my city.

In Atlanta, there's multiple possibilities... I did see on CNN today, a couple who said they saw debris flying in a circular movement. From what I've been told by an old weather man from the local Fox network, micro-bursts/downbursts and straight line winds may still cause things to move in a circular direction.

Everyone in Atlanta was very lucky... 27 injuries as of Saturday morning and the worst of them being some minor cuts.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Thread Information