+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    Permanently Removed

Default Firefighter's Funeral- Total cult of hero-worship?

Wow, someone is sour grapes over an intersection closing for Firefighter funeral.

Link- http://www.sbsun.com/letters/ci_8552779?source=email

Official arrogance
    Article Launched: 03/12/2008 10:38:46 PM PDT

Once again, government employees have arrogantly abused the people.
    March 5, around 12:15 p.m., the California Highway Patrol stopped all eastbound traffic near Alabama Street in Redlands to make way for a funeral procession. Said procession consisted of dozens of firetrucks from dozens of agencies and departments.

Thousands of truckers, mommies, business people, and the elderly were trapped on the interstate.

For what was this grand procession? Another firefighter?

This is an example of the maximum arrogance practiced regularly today by public service agencies. None of those extremely-expensive trucks and their well-paid passengers were available for any real emergencies in their home departments.

And, I might add, this is a prime example of extreme narcissism on the part of the deceased's family. Total cult of hero-worship.

What? That's so insensitive.

Well, how insensitive is it to hold up thousands of people trying to make appointments and deliveries for one dead guy? And if he or she were a true hero, he or she wouldn't have wanted this grand outpouring of official adulation anyway.

This strong-arm government bullying has got to stop.

KEN JOHNSON
    Beaumont, CA

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Arrow Sour grapes indeed!

Well Brett, I'm not going to be as diplomatic as you were ....

WHAT A F'N MUTT!!!!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Ain't it a beaut that all these "government employees" have kept him so safe and comfy that the worst thing in his life to bitch and moan about is being held up for 20 minutes for a funeral procession?

There should almost be a bit of quiet pride in the fact that he even wrote that. A pride that he will never understand.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Another guy bitter because he didn't pass the muster.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by johnny46; 03-15-2008 at 04:27 AM.

Some Guy

Funny. I happen to be down the road in Palm Springs. Maybe I should show some Jersey Love.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Gee!, wonder what they would say about this one?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spv12dA0wLQ
    http://www.scanninglouisiana.com - Pictures, Information, Incidents, Forums and more for Louisiana.

Forum Member

Opinions are like *********s, everyones got one. What else do you expect out of the opinion section of the paper. Most of the people who write in have no life and want to make a big deal out of nothing, its just something for them to do to feel better about their meaningless lives. Don't take it personal, these people would complain about a cure for cancer.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

I agree with 61. He obviously is a jerk.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Well Brett, I'm not going to be as diplomatic as you were ....

WHAT A F'N MUTT!!!!!
    AMEN!!!!!!!
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

This was my post on the Sun's website...
    RE: "Official Arrogance"

I find it appalling that Ken Johnson of Beaumont has the unmitigated audacity to complain about the stopping of traffic for a firefighter funeral. I'm sure he has no problem being protected by firefighters, police offcers and EMS personnel 24/7/365.

Some of them make the ultimate sacrifice in doing their job for total strangers.

By the way... ask any firefighter, cop , paramedic or any one in the military if they feel that they are heroes. They will tell you that they are just doing their job.

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs up

Nicely done, Ron.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

A few weeks after my brothers funeral, I was talking with a friend who relayed some info to me about a conversation he had with a guy about the total waste of taxpayer money for his funeral. He said that they didn't need to make such a "big deal" out of it. He complained that the 1 1/2 mile procession delayed traffic that he was caught in. He was curious as to when he passed, if the phone company was going to make a "big deal" over his funeral.
    Who is the guy that said all of this?

He was one of my brothers friends from K-12 grades.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Cut the guy some slack. If you've ever been throught Beaumont, CA you'd know why he is so bitter.

I'd shoot myself if my life ended up having to live there.
    Last edited by scfire86; 03-15-2008 at 01:08 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Badgerland FOOL

By the way... ask any firefighter, cop , paramedic or any one in the military if they feel that they are heroes. They will tell you that they are just doing their job.

You raise a great point and I would add that the ff dedicated himself to helping others and ensuring their safety. The least Mr. Johnson and the others can give him is a few minutes of respect while his friends and loved ones pay theirs. Not that he or any of us would expect it or request it.
    Last edited by mvfd27; 03-15-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Forum Member

My comment, just posted:

Mr. Johnson: What a sad, pathetic, unaccomplished life you must lead day in and day out. Perhaps you should consult your therapist about increasing your doseage of prozac. Enough said.

PS- I dont think I am a hero. I am just doing my job.

Randy V. Yardumian
    Hellertown, Pennsylvania.
    an "officially arrogant" firefighter
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member
    Spotsylvania Va, Currently S. Baghdad Iraq

Thumbs down

No Respect

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Opinions are like *********s, everyones got one. What else do you expect out of the opinion section of the paper. Most of the people who write in have no life and want to make a big deal out of nothing, its just something for them to do to feel better about their meaningless lives. Don't take it personal, these people would complain about a cure for cancer.
    i think you are totally right and expressed very well the situation.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally quoted by CaptainGonzo: By the way... ask any firefighter, cop , paramedic or any one in the military if they feel that they are heroes. They will tell you that they are just doing their job.
    Sorry gonz, didn't realize you wrote that till after I read it on the other website!

Unless you get those ones that think they are god's gift to firefighting.

It's a shame that someone can't R.I.P without someone crying/moaning about it. if the person would've left a few mins. earlier instead of waiting till the last possible min. to rush to get to whereever he is going he wouldn't of been held up.
    Last edited by fire0099881; 03-15-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: give gonz credit!

Forum Member

. . . Oh Mr. Johnson
    Last edited by len1582; 08-06-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Forum Member

probably scored a 70 on the test

MembersZone Subscriber

Default My response to Mr Johnson

I could not sit by and not say anything. Thank you to all brothers and sisters for the effort you give 24/7/365!!

In regards to Ken Johnson of Beaumont:
    I am so succintly reminded by your post of why I am proud to be a southern firefighter. On March 13th I was given the opportunity to accompany my Lieutenant to the funerals of Victor Isler and Justin Monroe in Salisbury, NC. This was one of the most touching processions I have ever seen or been a part of. The entire town stopped what they were doing just to come outside and give a silent salute to the fallen firefighters. Both lost their lives in a fire on March 7th. Not one person complained that traffic was stopped. Noone complained that they couldn't go to the corner store. BUT every single person we passed during the procession had the same emotion we did - GRIEF over the loss of someone willing to stop their life to rush in to a burning building on the off chance that he/she might actually make a difference by saving a life or by saving someone's home or livelyhood. The loss of a brother firefighter brings the same emotion as the loss of a blood brother because we ARE family. We are brothers and sisters that care enough to make the effort. We are brothers and sisters that give no second thought to laying down our lives for anyone else.
    So Mr. Johnson, before you go whining about hero worship and being stuck in traffic, put yourself in a firefighter's shoes or a police officer's or an EMS worker's!!!! Know what they are willing to risk to save an ungrateful whining peon that turns around and raises cain over the use of government funds to buy the equipment that they used.
    OH AND BY THE WAY, fellow firefighters from other stations and volunteers from around the area give up the chance to attend the final farewell so that the effected station has coverage for those uncaring homosapiens that complain because traffic was stopped and then cause a wreck trying to make up time they lost when they should have been giving respect for the loss.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    probably scored a 70 on the test
    No that would be a passing score.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Bou, more context please. Was this a LODD?

Badgerland FOOL

Quote Originally Posted by fire0099881 View Post
    Unless you get those ones that think they are god's gift to firefighting.

It's a shame that someone can't R.I.P without someone crying/moaning about it. if the person would've left a few mins. earlier instead of waiting till the last possible min. to rush to get to whereever he is going he wouldn't of been held up.
    By the way... ask any firefighter, cop , paramedic or any one in the military if they feel that they are heroes. They will tell you that they are just doing their job.--Actually, Originallly quoted by Capt. Gonzo

Due to poor referrencing I may have unintentionally appeared to claim that quote. No disrespect intended. You also make a valid point that some us portray that image...but fortunately they are in the minority.

MembersZone Subscriber

mvfd27, went back and corrected my original post, thanks for the correction!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information