Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber bfdpipeman's Avatar

Default Not getting the job...

I was on a list to be hired, went through the whole process including psych and poly and physical, the whole shot, only to get a letter saying that I am no longer a candidate. Its not that I am complaining about not getting the job, although it sucks, but is the village required to disclose why I did not get the job? According to the last village official I spoke to, everything was looking good and I was next to get hired. They skipped over me to the next guy. If I ask do you think they would give me a straight answer?

Default ?

Dude you was ON the FDNY LIST and they didn't tell you why you didn't get hired?

Forum Member

Default Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by bfdpipeman View Post
    If I ask do you think they would give me a straight answer?
    Probably not. Even the guy you talked to probably couldn't shoot straight with you. Even if you are able to get someone to talk to you, you probably will never really find out why. It just happens sometimes for whatever reason.

Youíre devastated. You donít know why. You want to know. Maybe thereís something you can do, someone you can talk to convince them youíre the guy they need; there has to be a mistake. Just give me a chance to prove myself.

What do you do now? You feel hurt, angry, frustrated and betrayed. Well, there is not much you can do. If you push too hard you might hurt your chances of getting on somewhere else.
    My advice. Go through the denial, anger, and depression. Lick your wounds and accept what happened. Then, regroup and get back out there and test again. If you made it this far, chances are you can do it again. Maybe with a better department than you hoped for.

Captain Bob www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bfdpipeman View Post
    I was on a list to be hired, went through the whole process including psych and poly and physical, the whole shot, only to get a letter saying that I am no longer a candidate. Its not that I am complaining about not getting the job, although it sucks, but is the village required to disclose why I did not get the job? According to the last village official I spoke to, everything was looking good and I was next to get hired. They skipped over me to the next guy. If I ask do you think they would give me a straight answer?
    FWIW: Where I work now, they want guys that get eliminated to check back with recruiting to find out what happened. You obviously know people "in the know." Plus the description of "village" makes me think you're not in a larger city (what state are you in BTW?). If you know the officials on a personal level maybe you can approach them and respectfully and professionally ask what happened.

MembersZone Subscriber bfdpipeman's Avatar

I'm from a small suburb of Chicago. That's all I will say to keep things somewhat quiet. I don't want to stir the pot... I'm just kinda feeling really down on myself that I'm not good enough for teh department... I have wayyyyy more paper than they require and more experience than alot of the guys on the list. it just sucks...

I am sorry, but welcome to the world of testing for the FD. I have been there, done that so many times. It sucks to get dumped for no reason. And you will never know.

Forum Member

keep your chin up, keep trying.

bfdpipeman,

You should also factor in timing and luck as to why you didn't get the job this time. Each time a department hires, they're looking for a little something different. You may have been hired if you had gotten this far in the process last time around or you may get hired if make it this far next time. It doesn't seem fair, but it just tends to work out that way.

The one thing people forget is that it's not just a long list fire related credentials and a clean record that get you hired onto good departments in bigger communities. All those certifications look good and they help, but they usually aren't the key for getting hired. The other things departments look highly upon are having been a member of the armed services, a bachelor's degree -- even if it has nothing to do with the fire service, long term work experience (5+ years), volunteering somewhere other than a fire department like The Red Cross, United Way, YMCA, Boys and Girls Clubs of America, Salvation Army, or even your local food pantry or soup kitchen. You may wonder what these things have to do with being a good firefighter, but they can show so much about your character and who you are as a person.

Just to reaffirm what other people have already been saying here, the village doesn't have to tell you why you didn't get the job. It wouldn't help them to tell you, so they won't. Of course you want to know, and they're fully aware of that, but it's just not going to happen. The most they'll say is that you'll be a good firefighter somewhere else and wish you luck in your future endeavors.

I know what you're going through. I've certainly been there myself.

MembersZone Subscriber

In most places the Fire Chief has what is referred to as ďThe rule of three.Ē In this case the FC is able to look at three candidates for each (1) one opening. It allows the FC to hire who he believes is the best person on the list. It is also used in promotional exams on a fairly regular basis.

Your post simply states that you were passed over. You did not indicate who you were passed over for. The FC may have decided that the next candidate had more fire science education, or a basic fire academy. He may have had more formal education. He may be very mechanically inclined and will be able to help build new cabinets and weld equipment hangers for the new rig.

Only you know the contents of your background. While you may have passed it, the FC can decide that you are not the right fit.

There are many factors that go into hiring. It is much more in-depth than just filling a spot. This is especially true for smaller agencies that do not hire many firefighters.

Lastly, you are defined during adversity. I am sure this is a HUGE letdown for you. I understand as I too have been in your shoes. It is disappointing, embarrassing and humbling. Be careful what you say and how you say it. There may be future openings. You want to be considered for them. Saying the wrong thing can/will sink your ship for future opportunities.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information