sbkaiser
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default EMS Stand-by at Local Events

Our department was approached about providing EMS coverage at an event in our rural district. We do not provide ambulance service in our area but we have 8 EMT-B and a handfuls of BEC FF and equipment at the BLS level. Our chief asked me to research rates other volunteer departments charge for these services. Do you all just ask for a donation? It would be a 2 day event (0700-1700 ea day) with 2-3 EMT-Bs staffing a light rescue. Thanks for all of the help.
    Last edited by sbkaiser; 03-15-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Forum Member

Hi. We have performed similar duties in for the boy scouts, 4H, youth ball tourneys, etc. We are fire with first responders and no transport. many of us are emt-B or higher, but still operate on FR level. For these activities, we would provide basic first aid and rely on our ALS/BLS transport service to respond from about 20 mins. away for needed calls.

I assume this is a similar set up to what you describe? As for funding/pay, we have always been given donations to cover any expenses for the stand-by. Any true emergency would reguire a run sheet, however, and the fees would be handled as such. Of course other bennies are eating and drinking free all day!

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sbkaiser View Post
    Our department was approached about providing EMS coverage at an event in our rural district. We do not provide ambulance service in our area but we have 8 EMT-B and a handfuls of BEC FF and equipment at the BLS level. Our chief asked me to research rates other volunteer departments charge for these services. Do you all just ask for a donation? It would be a 2 day event (0700-1700 ea day) with 2-3 EMT-Bs staffing a light rescue. Thanks for all of the help.
    Our department provides EMS standby for several events throughout the year, included but not limited to high school sporting events, parades, special town events, trick or treat night, etc., and all of our apparatus is BLS equipped. We have several EMT's and Paramedics, no transport capability, and we do not charge or ask for a donation.

Forum Member

Our county fair association asked the local firefighters and ems personnel to volunteer their time as first responders during the week long event. No compensation. And, in order to do this one must be a member of the association. A $50 donation TO to fair association!

There are always enough EMTs and Medics at the fair....

Forum Member

Post Stand by

My dept does alot of stand bys just as Firedog's dept. Sporting events, our local 2 day festival, and Halloween is a huge one as we also provide the kids with glow sticks. We DO NOT ask for compensation but normally do receive donations.

Forum Member

Our dept. works several events a year at no charge, just consider it part of our community duty.

Forum Member

We do several events in a year including a moto cross and a jamboree. We never asked for money, but the event coordinators always paid us a set amount.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

For any events we volunteer but do accept donations. However, let me throw out a problem we ran into several years ago. A truck club built a track to host mud pit races, strap pulls, 4 wheeler races, etc. They were required by insurance, bylaws, law or whatever to have EMS stand by for all the events and since we do BLS transport we agreed. All was fine the first couple of times but by the time they got done hosting an event EVERY weekend for a couple of months no one wanted to volunteer anymore. They offered a donation to the department which was great but the persons staffing the event weren't compensated so they quit showing up. The event finally had to hire a nearby ALS service to standby since we couldn't get personnel to attend any longer. The event organizer moved away and they quit having the events the following year.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Another problem you may want to check out. Are you covered by insurance to perform these duties. Meaning, you state that you are not a bls provider and you are going to have EMT's staff an event. Are they working outside of their scope as firefighters? It's not the same as something happening on scene and guys lending a hand, this is now an assignment. Just something to ponder.

Forum Member

We provide one ALS ambulance to the local high school for football games. Our medics are career staff. Therefore we have a set fee that we charge. The EMT/Driver (usually a volunteer) receives a stipend that comes from the fee charged the school district as a thank you for volunteering for the event.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information