MembersZone Subscriber

Default Search operatons in Immigrant/Poor neighborhoods

2Rooms on Ludlow

Photos of appartment.

Consider that this can be found anywhere...this appartment happens to be in Chinatown....formerly where I worked I've seen similar living conditions in garden apartments in the Midwest.

Wall to wall beds, numerous potential victims. crowded layout..etc.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Half of the apts. that I go in are similar to this! About 3 weeks ago I was in an apt. 2 bedrooms, kitchen, small family room. The back bedroom had 4 bunkbeds jammed in it! There was 10 mexicans living in this tiny little apt.

Forum Member

Too dangerous to go into. We should stay outside. Unless one of them stubs a toe....then we can provide aid.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

I remember searching an apartment on East Broadway in the Summer. The one room I ran into set of triple stacked, plywood made, bunkbeds. At first I didn't know what it was...until I remembered where I was. The dang things went right to the cealing.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

vin did you need a step ladder for the top bunk???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefiftyfive View Post
    vin did you need a step ladder for the top bunk???
    Figured you say Tower Ladder. And BTW....Hello Pot, my name is Kettle.
    IACOJ Member

Truckie

Add to the fat that many of these same cities with a high immigrant/poor populace are, or want to be, sanctuary cities, it is a recipe for disaster.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Got em in the burbs too, we counted 24 beds in a house that had been whacked up into apartments and we find some similar, though not quite as dense, problems in our garden apartments. The older divided up houses are the biggest threat as I see it. Poor exits, difficult floor plans and too many places to tuck a bed.

Forum Member

We have found these conditions on my community, those that live in these crowded condition are predominantly Hispanic and Brazilian. Someone rents an apartment or buys a house, suddenly there are rooms for rent along with the problems that come with it.

It's the same thing... illegal apartments and rooming houses, wall to wall mattresses, etc..

Many of these homes were purchased witrh subprime loans, and many are now being foreclosed on, so know in addition to the situations FFFRed mentioned in the original post, we are beginning to have a problem with vacant buildings.

One thing that our Code Enforcement Officer has done is work with the Building Department to certify multifamily residences. We have found 2 family homes illegally converted to three family and such while doing task force inspections with Code Enforcement, the Building Department, Board of Health and the PD.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-24-2008 at 12:00 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Unhappy

Not only apartments, garden style and multiple story, but also poorer SFD's in my area are known to have way too much clutter and too many occupants living in them. The multiple fatal in Youngstown, OH a few months ago had I believe 11 or 12 occupants living there fulltime.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a trend through out the country. We ran to a place and there was beds everywhere. They even had a bed crammed into a closet!! Not a good situation. This place we were at didn't have the strand of x-mas lights in it though as shown in the pics FFFRED provided.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is the same story everywhere. We were on an ambulance assist and a 1200 sq ft raised ranch was chopped into 4 appartments. The city went after them so I'm sure they just moved somewhere else.
    That is the reason I don't mind going on medic assists, because the only other way we would know about it is at 0300 when we were pushing in.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like that as a firefighter my only concern is 'how can I help?' rather than being critical of others for their living conditions, economic class, race, or lifestyle choices. When we all echo that sense of duty and professionalism we will continue to be greeted with smiles and respect and receive the cooperation of those we are attempting to assist.

Truckie

I like that as a firefighter my only concern is 'how can I help?' rather than being critical of others for their living conditions, economic class, race, or lifestyle choices. When we all echo that sense of duty and professionalism we will continue to be greeted with smiles and respect and receive the cooperation of those we are attempting to assist.
    Get off your high horse. It's obvious that you have never been the situation of fighting a fire and attempting rescues in situations like these. Because if you have, you would realize no one here is displaying any type of "unprofessionalism" as you state. But an honest discussion, amongst professionals, of situations that are occurring that can have very negative effect on the safety and life of a firefighter. Not to mention the outcome of those we are trying to assist.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadbutler View Post
    While I can appreciate your sentiment....it isn't based on reality.

I take it you don't have much experience with padlocked SRO'S, illegal electrical service, "Colliers Mansion" conditions, propane and gas tanks stored within apartments, or mattresses set on fire within the public hallway of a multiple dwelling.

If you had, I doubt you would still be thinking that how others live ISN'T your concern.

While it isn't for any of us to pass judgement on why a particular person lives in a particular enviornment or dwelling, it IS necessary to acknowledge the hazards we face entering these occupancies.

Will we still help? Absolutely. But should we ignore padlocked bedroom doors or extension cords wired directly into the panel? Absolutely not. This IS your "duty" and it exemplifies "professionalism".

If someone you know gets killed fighting a fire in a building that was illegally altered and willingly made unsafe, would you still maintain this sentiment?

MembersZone Subscriber

While I agree in concept to treating everyone with respect regardless of their living conditions, how would you treat them if you found these conditions on a building inspection? Do you force them to clean up their squalor? Will they not feel judged, degraded and generally resentful toward the FD?

MembersZone Subscriber

I would suggest rethinking your statement. Sounds like you are on a rural dept just by going through your recent posts. You might not see the side we see much or at all in a rural setting.

But the bottom line is this is a problem for us and I think it's going to get much much worse!

Forum Member

From our perspective: The residents in these types of housing units are living in squalor.

Their perspective: Compared to where they lived in their home country, the overcrowded apartment looks like the Taj Mahal to them, and the opportunity to make money to send home triumphs over everything.

Unfortunately, some of their fellow countrymen who came here before them take advantage of them, charging them exhorbitant rents for spaces a little larger than the area covered by a mattress.

Members of my group discovered an illegal apartment during a smoke detector inspection for home resale the other day. The porperty was bank owned due to foreclosure and the real estate agent handling the sale had stated the home was a two family when they came to set up and pay for the inspection. The acting Lt. on the rig that day noticed a lock on the door leading to the attic and asked the agent what was there. He stated it was the attic, and that he had a key. What the crew found were walls, plumbing and electrical systems installed by the previous owner, none of it meeting code... automatic failure, code enforcement is now involved and the agent called me expressing his displeasure at the failure and told me his client, aka the "the bank" wouldn't be happy....

Oh well....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

yep, I am with a small rural department that doesn't have a large call volume and so every time we get toned out is an opportunity to help someone in need in our community. We don't perform building inspections. Our job is similar yet different. I assume that my involvement in the Fire Service will be a lifelong commitment and I guess I'm glad that I don't have the same issues to deal with as so many of you in the larger cities. No disrespect intended, just my own voice speaking my own opinion.

Some Guy

We are loaded with these apartments and houses.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

yep, I am with a small rural department that doesn't have a large call volume and so every time we get toned out is an opportunity to help someone in need in our community. We don't perform building inspections. Our job is similar yet different. I assume that my involvement in the Fire Service will be a lifelong commitment and I guess I'm glad that I don't have the same issues to deal with as so many of you in the larger cities. No disrespect intended, just my own voice speaking my own opinion.
    you sir get an award for throwing in a vollie vs paid statement and being very subtle about it.

Around here we have at least two areas that would deal with SFD's luckily we haven't had to deal with them yet.

Thread Information