Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fires at Wendys?

Last night, we had a report of a grill fire at our local Wendy's.

The fire was in the grill contols, located under the unit. There was no way the kitchen supression system would have tripped.

The fire was caused by a grease buildup. A call to the Board of Health's on call inspector, shut off the power. a quick blast of dry chem, then venting the area via PPV did the trick.

This is the second time it has happened.. .as a matter of fact, almost a year to the day.. and yes, my group was working again.

Has anyone has similar problems with a Wendy's in their districts?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Yeah Chief:

Had the same thing when I was on our Rescue. Wendy's was next door. I was in that house 6 years, my shift went over twice for those fires. Both times one of the managers sent a kid over to knock on the door and have us come over. Both times knocked down just like you said, quick shot of dry chem and done. Didn't have to vent the building, we'd crank the grill exhaust system right after we hit it with the dry chem. No muss, no fuss. Manager thankful, free Frosty's all around.

Forum Member

Same story - went to one of them and asked the manager to have the steam cleaners be sure to get everything next time. Haven't been back.

Not Wendy's, but we have a number of Asian restaurants in my district and had much the same scenario. With the same lack of activation of the ansul system.
    Needless to say, we are getting fairly adept at disassembling the various grill tops.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

We are pretty strict about the hood systems with our fire inspections. This keeps the instances of this type of job relatively low.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

We have been to our wendys at least 4 times in the last two year for the same thing

Thanks for the replies so far.

The hoods and kitchen suprression aka ansuls were cleaned and within their inspection dates.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post And..........

We respond on the First Alarm to 4 Wendy's, but I've only been to one for a Fire. That one was a few years back, Electrical short, burned a few square feet inside an exterior wall. I can't remember a Grill or Hood Fire around here in years.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

My only grill fire was when one of the fryers was left on. The suppression system did its job. Small amount of fire up in the attic above the grill. Did minor damage to kitchen and structure above.

Now for the rest of the story......

One year later, lightning struck the restaurant and it burnt to the ground.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    My only grill fire was when one of the fryers was left on. The suppression system did its job. Small amount of fire up in the attic above the grill. Did minor damage to kitchen and structure above.

Now for the rest of the story......

One year later, lightning struck the restaurant and it burnt to the ground.
    Yeah, if you have an old system without an auto gas shut-off or one were the gas shut-off doesn't work, once the oil starts boiling again it usually flares back up pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far.

The hoods and kitchen suprression aka ansuls were cleaned and within their inspection dates.
    The grease builds-up that quick on grease metal. Think what it does to your arteries.
    Last edited by FDAIC485; 03-16-2008 at 08:57 PM.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a Wendy's here and no incidents of that type............will keep that in mind, thanks Ron.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I have done a bunch of these fires. Wendy's is no different than any other fast food joint.

The problem with these buildings is that they are built to replace. They are not built to withstand fire. The kitchens are virtually identical from location to location. They are purchased from one vendor as a kit and shipped to the location. They are installed by minimum wage employees with just enough skilled labor around to get past the inspectors.

These corporations are not interested in fire safety. In fact, I have been told by a representative of a fast food chain that the corporations actually plan on losing a certain number of restaurants per year to fire. Unless the damage is minor, they will take the cheap route and tear it down and rebuild it from scratch. It is cheaper and faster than devoting the resources to fix it.

If the restaurant was closed and there was no exposure hazard, I would not commit one FF to the interior if these places were well involved. Risk nothing to gain nothing.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

A suspect was apprehended by police....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

I work at a local Burger King... Never had a problem that we needed to call out the FD in the 1 year I've been there - Almost one time though... Our broiler had too much grease in the ashpan. I just closed the gas line off and dumped the ashpan.

Company policy is to wash and scrub the hoods every night at close. Our controls for our friers are right by the hoods where as most other places have their controls below. The insides/guts of the friers get steam cleaned at least twice a year by a fire protection company when they come into check our ansul system and exhaust fans.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

We used to try to clean the insides of the grills atleast once a month at the rest. I used to work at. The boss was a real ***** about keeping equipment clean, but once in a blue moon there would be some grease inside the grill that would catch fire, not much since there was never really a lot of buildup, We would just keep an eye on it, and just let it burns itself out, since it was always contained underneath the grill top.

We had this problem at a local chinese rest. We went for a inspection as a shift. The inspector knocked them on it. They had grease running everywhere. It was pretty bad. Even had it running down the roof and stuff. The insp advised them to clean it. Ohhhh we don't understand your english! Well they understood having a company come in in 24 hours or your shut down which equals no money. That part they understood!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder8 View Post
    A suspect was apprehended by police....
    Here is the Zapruder film from just after that photo was taken...

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/fo...p?40,file=2013

(forgive me...)
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

MembersZone Subscriber

It takes some understanding of the exhaust system to make these people understand that cleaning the hood is just as important as cleaning the grill. If the hood is heavily coated and the fire gets up there, the suppression system will never put it out. Most suppression systems are designed to put out a fire on the grill, not in the hood or the duct work. Once its in the hood and duct, forget it.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Has anyone has similar problems with a Wendy's in their districts?
    Not the same cause, but similar issues with lack of employees deploying their suppression system. We responded to our Wendy's for a two tub fryolater fire, had to be a real fire because it was the first time they evacuated the place properly. But upon questioning they failed to activate the suppression system because "they had been told not too, just call the FD." We went in and activated their system with perfect results. Ever since they came, we had terrible trouble getting Wendy's to follow basic alarm procedures. oddly enough they were small enough to not require and alarm, but they wanted it just the same, even though they ignored it/silenced it/reset it prior to our arrival on numerous occasions.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 03-17-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Thread Information