Thread: gung ho newbie

MembersZone Subscriber

Default gung ho newbie

I've always longed to do something special for people. Whether it was to serve in the military to keep our country safe, be a firefighter to keep your property and lives safe, or to be a paramedic and help people's lives that way.
    I have to admit I'm one of those guys who's always been gung ho on things that really interest me. I wanted to be in the military so I joined the Marine Corps. I wanted to be a firefighter so I got my degree in Fire Science. I wanted to help people and better my chance in getting on a fire department so I got my degree in Paramedicine. I wanted to be a rescue diver so I got SCUBA certified. Do you see how I am just a little? I really am interested on getting on a department that has a decent involvement with every aspect of fire and rescue( Haz-Mat, EMS, swiftwater rescue, technical rescue, dive rescue and recovery, confined space,and of course fire suppression, etc,etc). I would love to be involved in all of these things. Now the hard part is finding a department that does all of these things to a high standard and pays decent. I just want to be a good fireman who gets on a department that prides itself with excellent training and personnel.If anyone has any suggestions please help. Thank you

IACOJ BOD

There is no I in team.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

makes good girls go bad

Valium is your friend.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

You had us......until you mentioned "and pays decent". You can't have it all. Either you want to help people or you want a decent paycheck......

Just kidding, you can have both!!

You can breath now
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Good thing's happening

does pay decent even exist ? because if there is a place without some kind of catch let me know...now on the other hand there may be fd's that look good but it is offset by house prices or taxes. At least that's what i've been told. Maybe im wrong.

rob

Forum Member

http://www.yonkersny.gov/Index.aspx?page=1853

Starting salary for a Yonkers Firefighter is $67,291

Ill see you at the county line!

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    http://www.yonkersny.gov/Index.aspx?page=1853

Starting salary for a Yonkers Firefighter is $67,291

Ill see you at the county line!

yeah jonny to bad you need to be a resident of Yonkers and not a Westchester resident even thought that's what it states or else you have NO SHOT to get on as I was told by a couple of insiders and have a NYS drivers license. Oh and you need to file the application in person...

I had the NYS drivers license just not anymore and never lived in Yonkers but have a friend there =[

rob

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedograz View Post
    I really am interested on getting on a department that has a decent involvement with every aspect of fire and rescue( Haz-Mat, EMS, swiftwater rescue, technical rescue, dive rescue and recovery, confined space,and of course fire suppression, etc,etc). I would love to be involved in all of these things. Now the hard part is finding a department that does all of these things to a high standard and pays decent. I just want to be a good fireman who gets on a department that prides itself with excellent training and personnel.If anyone has any suggestions please help. Thank you
    Sure. It's an easy two-step process:
    1. Move to SoCal.
    2. Apply to LAFD/LACoFD (and get hired, obviously).
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Sure. It's an easy two-step process:
    1. Move to SoCal.
    2. Apply to LAFD/LACoFD (and get hired, obviously).
    I was gonna say, you want diversity- "Go West young man."

LA City, LA County, Orange County, Ventura County, Kern County, Ventura County, San Bernardino County and CAL FIRE. CAL FIRE has everything you desire and MORE. And dont forget Las Vegas, Clark County and Henderson.

Better figure out where you want to live and focus on getting hired there.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-17-2008 at 03:29 AM.

Good thing's happening

Hey Bou,

I always wondered what's the difference between LA City and LA county ?

Rob

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Hey Bou,

I always wondered what's the difference between LA City and LA county ?

Rob

LA City (I think 103 stations) protects the actual city only. County (I think 121 stations) protects 66 contract cities and surrounding unincorporated county areas.

Your links-

http://www.lafd.org

http://fire.lacounty.gov

LA County Apparatus- http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/chucksf...eptsIndex.html

LA City Apparatus- http://www.angelfire.com/la3/chucksfirepics1/index.html
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-17-2008 at 03:32 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedograz View Post
    I've always longed to do something special for people. Whether it was to serve in the military to keep our country safe, be a firefighter to keep your property and lives safe, or to be a paramedic and help people's lives that way.
    I have to admit I'm one of those guys who's always been gung ho on things that really interest me. I wanted to be in the military so I joined the Marine Corps. I wanted to be a firefighter so I got my degree in Fire Science. I wanted to help people and better my chance in getting on a fire department so I got my degree in Paramedicine. I wanted to be a rescue diver so I got SCUBA certified. Do you see how I am just a little? I really am interested on getting on a department that has a decent involvement with every aspect of fire and rescue( Haz-Mat, EMS, swiftwater rescue, technical rescue, dive rescue and recovery, confined space,and of course fire suppression, etc,etc). I would love to be involved in all of these things. Now the hard part is finding a department that does all of these things to a high standard and pays decent. I just want to be a good fireman who gets on a department that prides itself with excellent training and personnel.If anyone has any suggestions please help. Thank you

What's the deal with the multiple posts?
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

like others have said, go to either LA, or go to the DC/MD/VA area.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I was gonna say, you want diversity- "Go West young man."

LA City, LA County, Orange County, Ventura County, Kern County, Ventura County, San Bernardino County and CAL FIRE. CAL FIRE has everything you desire and MORE. And dont forget Las Vegas, Clark County and Henderson.

Better figure out where you want to live and focus on getting hired there.
    Any particular reason you listed Ventura twice, BOU?

And you can even narrow the list down further...
    Whack Kern and San Bernardino off the list unless you happen to really like dust (both are mostly desert).
    If you don't like left-laying (as in "leaning" so far as to be horizontal) hippy idiots who think Hillary's a right-wing fascist, axe the LAs and the OC (most especially the OC! ).
    If you own guns, don't want to learn Spanish, or don't believe that "welfare mom" is a valid career option...well, forget California entirely.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

The way you're talking has me wanting to reach for the narcan. Somewhere in the range of 1.9-2.0 mg.

Thread Information