Thread: gung ho newbie

MembersZone Subscriber

Default gung ho newbie

I've always longed to do something special for people. Whether it was to serve in the military to keep our country safe, be a firefighter to keep your property and lives safe, or to be a paramedic and help people's lives that way.
    I have to admit I'm one of those guys who's always been gung ho on things that really interest me. I wanted to be in the military so I joined the Marine Corps. I wanted to be a firefighter so I got my degree in Fire Science. I wanted to help people and better my chance in getting on a fire department so I got my degree in Paramedicine. I wanted to be a rescue diver so I got SCUBA certified. Do you see how I am just a little? I really am interested on getting on a department that has a decent involvement with every aspect of fire and rescue( Haz-Mat, EMS, swiftwater rescue, technical rescue, dive rescue and recovery, confined space,and of course fire suppression, etc,etc). I would love to be involved in all of these things. Now the hard part is finding a department that does all of these things to a high standard and pays decent. I just want to be a good fireman who gets on a department that prides itself with excellent training and personnel.If anyone has any suggestions please help. Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

You sound like you set very lofty goals for yourself. More importantly, you follow through and achieve them. I encourage you to research each department before you test for them. Not all departments are created equally.
    Do your homework and learn about their culture. Not all departments are right for you and you will not be right for all of the departments out there.
    One word of caution for you; you are certainly a high achiever, remember to be humble.
    You have a lot to offer the fire service.
    Best of luck to you,

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firedograz View Post
    I've always longed to do something special for people. Whether it was to serve in the military to keep our country safe, be a firefighter to keep your property and lives safe, or to be a paramedic and help people's lives that way.
    I have to admit I'm one of those guys who's always been gung ho on things that really interest me. I wanted to be in the military so I joined the Marine Corps. I wanted to be a firefighter so I got my degree in Fire Science. I wanted to help people and better my chance in getting on a fire department so I got my degree in Paramedicine. I wanted to be a rescue diver so I got SCUBA certified. Do you see how I am just a little? I really am interested on getting on a department that has a decent involvement with every aspect of fire and rescue( Haz-Mat, EMS, swiftwater rescue, technical rescue, dive rescue and recovery, confined space,and of course fire suppression, etc,etc). I would love to be involved in all of these things. Now the hard part is finding a department that does all of these things to a high standard and pays decent. I just want to be a good fireman who gets on a department that prides itself with excellent training and personnel.If anyone has any suggestions please help. Thank you
    DCFD (Washington, DC) is getting ready to test in August. Check them out; a wealth of info is at your fingertips!

Permanently Removed

You want diversity- "Go West young man."

LA City, LA County, Orange County, Ventura County, Kern County, Ventura County, San Bernardino County and CAL FIRE. CAL FIRE has everything you desire and MORE. Dont forget Las Vegas, Clark County and Henderson, Nevada. And Phoenix, Chandler, Mesa and Glendale, Arizona.

Better figure out where you want to live and focus on getting hired there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedograz View Post
    What's the deal with the multiple posts?
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Fort Worth....
    Fastest growing "big city" (of pop 500k or more) in the U.S.
    Will be opening 2 stations this year.
    Has all that: swift water/dive, technical rescue, hazmat, paramedic opportunities
    Civil service
    Strong union
    Lots of opportunity for part time employment
    Lots of variety in places to live
    Lots of recreation.
    Still gets some good fires (http://fortworthfire.com)
    No ambulance
    5 extra points on the written for military with DD214 form.
    In 2011 this place will be running wild with the Super Bowl.
    They'll probably be testing at the end of this year, which gives you plenty of time to prepare.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    What's the deal with the multiple posts?
    I agree. It seems kind of fishy when someone starts the same thread in five different forums. This seems eerily similar to what the user brianjpearson did. brianjpearson also started identical threads in five different forums titled: college?. I don't even really understand what THEFIRENUT is asking. He's done ALLLLL this work and has ALLLLL these interests but isn't even sure where to apply. That just seems strange. If this guy is legit, though, he sounds like a model candidate to me...almost too perfect in fact.

Forum Member

firedograz, you didn't mention if you've taken any fire tests yet? In order to be successful it's not always how many credentials you have but learning how to take a firefighter oral board that can be like no other.

As you get you feet wet try to get to as many tests as reasonably possible. Because the more tests you take, the better you get at taking tests. Then, when the test you really want to nail that badge comes along, a question you’ve never heard before won’t stump you. You can achieve that seamless no surprises interview where you can make the cut.

As contributing author Steve Prziborowski, BC, wrote:

“Do what you have to do be more marketable so you can take more tests and have something more to offer a department, but remember that it all comes down to that 15 to 30 minute oral interview. I’ve seen some awesome candidates with resumes packed full of accomplishments that couldn’t sell them self in an interview to even make the top 50%.”

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 03-23-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Thread Information