Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just hired

Smile Just hired

Looking for what to expect next. I just was offered the position as emergency dispatcher. Past all the test, took the drug and polygraph and now am curious as to what to expect now. I know the training will begin. Is there any advice anyone can give to get a jump start on being one of the best?

mutlitasking- you will hopefully get good at it

Forum Member

Keep an open mind. Even in small centers it can get crazy real fast. Become intimate with policy and procedure as they will save your butt. Treat every call like it's going to be on the six o'clock news. Nothing ruins a call faster than doing everything right thensounding like a tool on the tape. Remember your customers come first. I.E., anyone you talk to on the radio or the phone. They are the reason you are collecting a paycheck at the taxpayers expence. You owe the folks on the other side of the radio your full attention. They are the ones getting shot at, saving lives, fires, etc.. However, (this is important so remember it!!) you are just as much a professional in your own industry as they are and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. You are the one making sure everyone goes home at the end of the shift, starting patient care and a whole lot of other stuff that is too numerous to list here. Be proud of what you do, take pride in being the best you can be and that pride will equal respect from the folks in the field. Best of luck and if there is anything I can do to help you, just let me know!

In response to the opening thread, I was just hired as well as a Telecommunicator. The center I work for handles all emergency calls and dispatch for an entire county. I just finished my second day sitting by myself at the console. I am receiving good marks from my supervisor and everyone says I'm doing well for a new guy.

I'm finding that hard to believe that I'm doing this well, when it seems that everytime I take a call or make a dispatch, others are on my case (other TC's).

In most cases I feel I'm doing a decent job, even with the pressure of being the new guy. However, I want to get better. And I know that will come with time....I guess.

Basically, what I'm asking is does anyone have any advice for the new guy and what I can do to make myself better?

Talking To all those who are Green

Take it from someone who has been behind the mike for 10 yrs.You are all off to a good start.Yea the other TC's are gonna give you a hard time.It's not that you are doing a bad job,it's just to make you rethink and keep you on top of your game to do a better job.Also,Never forget your listening skills.Especially if you are in a center that answers calls as well as dispatches them.Good listening skills will save you every time.Also document document document.Remember if you didn't write it down or log it down then you didn't do it.It's always better to have too much info than not enough.If you keep these simple rules in mind ,you will become more comfortable with the job and enjoy it.Dispatching is a very fullfilling career.Good luck to everyone starting out

Thread Information