Forum Member

Default Hurst pumps and tools

I am looking into getting us a new pump and combi tool and am wondering what you guys know of these items. I am looking for experiences, what you paid, and your views. Any help is greatly appreactiated.

Pumps: JL-4GH-SI or the JL-4G-SI

Combi tools: MOC Combi Tool or the ML-16S II Maverick

We would like to stay with Hurst but if you have any other suggestions for tools or pumps let me know.

Forum Member

"We would like to stay with Hurst but if you have any other suggestions for tools or pumps let me know."... this is the comment that will open up the floodgates for the Holmatro, Genesis, and let us not forget the "Beast"... can't wait to to re-read all the "mine is better".

In trying stay with your questions:

The JL-4GH-SI is a Honda Simo and the JL-4G-SI is a Briggs. That is the difference. Do you like Honda or Briggs. Personally... the NEW Briggs is as good as the Honda. OHV, electronic ignition and maintenance parts are less expensive.

There is a MAJOR difference in the combi-tools you asked about. Over 3x the spread power and more than 2x the cut power MOC Combi being the winner. Downside.. not replacable tips... can't think of another downside unless we discuss price... which would make it roughly $1300 more than the 16S.

I have used all of them. All good tools.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Purpose for the combi tool?

Is the purpose of the combi tool to supplement other tools (such as a dedicated cutter and spreader)? Or, is it to be the only hydraulic tool on your truck?

Forum Member

I know that the MOC was more powerfull, i was just wondering what other people thought about it against the Maverick. I prefer the Briggs but am open to reasons why the honda would be better.

The combi tool is just to back up the cutter and spreader we already have on the truck. We want somthing that we can go to if we have to extricat more than one patient in seperate cars or the few times a year our main tools go out of service.

Forum Member

Just got a price from 5 alarm and seemed pretty high. Does anyone know where I can go to find prices?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by the24fireman View Post
    The combi tool is just to back up the cutter and spreader we already have on the truck. We want somthing that we can go to if we have to extricat more than one patient in seperate cars or the few times a year our main tools go out of service.
    If your primary cutter and spreader gives you enough power to cut and spread, I would look to either the Maverick or the X-Tractor C. If your primary cutter is lacking in power, I would look to the MOC Combi.

I have used older versions of the Maverick. The blades tended to slip when cutting. This was most common when the blades were opened all the way when cutting a wide "C" post.

Forum Member

Since Isitjustme can't wait... I will throw my opinions on here (besides, it has been a while since I visited here).

While Hurst has more tools in service than any other company out there, it doesn't mean that they are the best tool there is available. Isitjustme gave you a pretty good run down on the Hurst tools you are looking at, so you have a good bases to start from. My "gut reaction" to your question is to first consider keeping with the Hurst since you would have one brand to deal with for warranty and service issues.

If you are open to trying something different, and you are comfortable with the low-pressure system that you are familiar with, here are two options that I would recommend you look at:

My department has Phoenix Rescue Tools which you will find to be remarkably similar to the Hurst tools. The reason for this is that the same engineering went into both tool designs (which is another thread you can search out on here). What the Phoenix offers is replacable tips AND replacable cutting blades which (I believe) is still unique to their design. Their tools are a true "rescue tool" that cuts as well as it spreads. Unlike a "combi-tool" that gives up something in either cutting or spreading capabilities to accomodate their design. We have both a Model 25 and a Model 32 on our department. For your purpose, the Model 25 would serve you well. I have not used their Model 18, but if you bring in a salesperson for a demo, by all means I would look at that tool as well. The Model 32 is a BIG tool, so it may be more than what you really want or need. The one place where Phoenix may be lacking is that they do not offer a compact power unit, so you will need to consider space for the power unit on your rig if you consider purchasing their tool.

Isitjustme also brought up the B.E.A.S.T. made by Champion Rescue Tools. Champion has taken a radical approach to the spreader vs. cutter dilemma by producing a tool with a completely interchangable operations head. By pulling 3 locking pins, you can switch the tool from a cutter to a spreader (and visa-versa) and not give up anything in terms of performance. If you couple that unit with their small power unit, you would have a very effective tool for to supplment your primary set as you describe. The Champion can also be ordered to be compatible with your current Hurst tools making your entire tool collection interchangable.

Hopefully that gives you some things to think about. As I have said many times on this forum, any tool you buy will do the job it was intended to do providing that the operators take the time to learn how to use that tool and understand the strenghts and limitations of it.

Good luck!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Quote Originally Posted by the24fireman View Post
    Just got a price from 5 alarm and seemed pretty high. Does anyone know where I can go to find prices?
    What state are you in ?

What state are you in ? If the prices are too high you might ask them to explain or maybe even check on availability of demo tools.

Thread Information