1. #1
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default Bye bye Rural/Metro, hello more jobs?

    As I am sure by now many of you have heard, Orange County board of Commissioners have given the boot to R/M, in favor of having OCFRD transport all pts in areas served by them. So, with them gone, will OCFRD be opening up more Rescues? Or just do more with less?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    507

    Default

    in the true spirit of county agencies. they will do more with less.

    spread it on!

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    in the true spirit of county agencies. they will do more with less.

    spread it on!
    Exactly. Palm Beach County is slowly getting rid of *********s Monkies and Retards and are going to do all their own transports without putting any extra rescues on. It has created a spike in call volume for us since we have automatic aid with them. AMR tried and was successful at undercuting some of the counties contracted ALS services, so the county is giving them the boot. Medics ambulance service also has sent out letters to all cities showing how they can be more cost effective due to the tax cuts.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

    Firefighter/Paramedic

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    279

    Default

    RMA is more than happy to let OCFRD transport in those areas... trust me. RMA was goin in debt transporting for those areas, because of all the non payers in those areas. RMA was going in debt, they will now have more money letting go of the contract and continue to serve OFD to the best of their abilities, more power to them I say. With that in mind, more jobs for OCFRD? hm, possibly.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    96

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    RMA is more than happy to let OCFRD transport in those areas... trust me. RMA was goin in debt transporting for those areas, because of all the non payers in those areas. RMA was going in debt, they will now have more money letting go of the contract and continue to serve OFD to the best of their abilities, more power to them I say. With that in mind, more jobs for OCFRD? hm, possibly.
    Yea, there might be more jobs. There will also be alot less Medics too. If OCFD does not get a decent contract VERY SOON, I would guess that about 70% of their Medics will be dropping their patches. We will need to put about 15 more Rescues out there to make this work and that just isn't going to happen. I'm guessing that they might add 5 more. We are already short staffed Medics and it will only get worse. Our Medics are getting MANDATORIED TO WORK because we don't have enough RIGHT NOW!! How would you like to be told that you have to stay at work another 24 hours and you don't have any say in it? It is going to be very interesting come October people. I feel sorry for the LT/PMs who are going to ripped from their crews & station assignments to be floated across the county to ride PM on the Box!

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Giga, I thought that you were VERY close to a new contract, disappointing to hear otherwise.

    I think the idea of transporting is a risky one, you are going to loose the “two out” you needed to begin interior firefighting. I wouldn’t want to be the Lt to tell a homeowner that we can’t go in to her house until the next due engine arrives, since our rescue is transporting a three day old toe pain, and we have no rescue.

    I think that management is counting just patches when it comes to medics. How can you expect to maintain a level of care when you lack the medics and the trucks necessary to transport.

    Hope somebody did their homework.

    Stay safe
    Rob

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gigafire View Post
    Yea, there might be more jobs. There will also be alot less Medics too. If OCFD does not get a decent contract VERY SOON, I would guess that about 70% of their Medics will be dropping their patches. We will need to put about 15 more Rescues out there to make this work and that just isn't going to happen. I'm guessing that they might add 5 more. We are already short staffed Medics and it will only get worse. Our Medics are getting MANDATORIED TO WORK because we don't have enough RIGHT NOW!! How would you like to be told that you have to stay at work another 24 hours and you don't have any say in it? It is going to be very interesting come October people. I feel sorry for the LT/PMs who are going to ripped from their crews & station assignments to be floated across the county to ride PM on the Box!
    giga,

    i totally and completely understand where you are coming from. I would have said all that you just did in my original post, but i figured someone would say it for me. I did not want to start another OCFR bashing thread...i totally feel for the brothers of orange county on this one...i already have a few friends that have already dropped their patches. a buddy of mine who is in a firehouse in battalion 4 dropped his patch, next day on the engine and rotates to the truck(gee, im sure its hard to figure out what firehouse im talking about now haha), been there ever since....I still work part time for RMA to keep up on the box skills, and i talk to the orange county guys alot. Hopefully something will change, I hope so guys...

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffzmann View Post
    Giga, I thought that you were VERY close to a new contract, disappointing to hear otherwise.

    I think the idea of transporting is a risky one, you are going to loose the “two out” you needed to begin interior firefighting. I wouldn’t want to be the Lt to tell a homeowner that we can’t go in to her house until the next due engine arrives, since our rescue is transporting a three day old toe pain, and we have no rescue.

    I think that management is counting just patches when it comes to medics. How can you expect to maintain a level of care when you lack the medics and the trucks necessary to transport.

    Hope somebody did their homework.

    Stay safe
    Rob
    Rob I don't even know where to begin bro!! They changed the language in the contract and pretty much said that they will not commit to the steps that were proposed(and originally agreed upon)after September of 2008!! I mean WTF??!! They have their heads up their @sses! You pretty much summed it up in your post bro. Stay safe yourself.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    giga,

    i totally and completely understand where you are coming from. I would have said all that you just did in my original post, but i figured someone would say it for me. I did not want to start another OCFR bashing thread...i totally feel for the brothers of orange county on this one...i already have a few friends that have already dropped their patches. a buddy of mine who is in a firehouse in battalion 4 dropped his patch, next day on the engine and rotates to the truck(gee, im sure its hard to figure out what firehouse im talking about now haha), been there ever since....I still work part time for RMA to keep up on the box skills, and i talk to the orange county guys alot. Hopefully something will change, I hope so guys...
    Thanks for the kind words. I bet you I know who you are talking about! If it is M---, and I think it is, he is a stand up guy and a great firefighter. It is ashame we had to lose him as a medic but I know he is happier now so f*ck the County!! Take care.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Dropping your patch huh, now thats hardcore. I know what its like giga to get it broken off in your *** by the county, or city in my case. I also know what its like to hide every time the phone rings in the morning because you know your going to get manditoried and have a 48 hour *** kicking. IT SUCKS! But remember that dropping your patch helps to double fu@k all the guys that don't. Our city started hiring people as firemedics a year after me so that they can't drop their patches, because if they do then they can't perform their minimum job requirments and will be fired. Their is nothing that the union can do about it either. Our fire service is changing back to the way it was in the late 80's early 90's, 2000 applicants for every one opening. So remember that it might suck where you are but, you do still have a job and a job to do. Stay strong bro, most of us in the state are probably going to end up in your boat too if were not already on the way.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

    Firefighter/Paramedic

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    96

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Dropping your patch huh, now thats hardcore. I know what its like giga to get it broken off in your *** by the county, or city in my case. I also know what its like to hide every time the phone rings in the morning because you know your going to get manditoried and have a 48 hour *** kicking. IT SUCKS! But remember that dropping your patch helps to double fu@k all the guys that don't. Our city started hiring people as firemedics a year after me so that they can't drop their patches, because if they do then they can't perform their minimum job requirments and will be fired. Their is nothing that the union can do about it either. Our fire service is changing back to the way it was in the late 80's early 90's, 2000 applicants for every one opening. So remember that it might suck where you are but, you do still have a job and a job to do. Stay strong bro, most of us in the state are probably going to end up in your boat too if were not already on the way.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement bro. Listen, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my job and I thank my lucky stars every day that I am one of the few that are fortunate enough to be in the field. I just hate the political side, and I hate being beat down by the pencil pushers downtown that just don't have a clue! I probably won't drop my patch but I know plenty of people that have already done it and more that are going to come October when we start transporting. I think it would be tough to be on a call and not be able to do ALS! It would definitely be weird, thats fo sho! Stay safe my brotha!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Lots of jobs at Rural Metro...
    By CALFFBOU in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 02:35 AM
  2. Still lots of jobs at Rural/Metro...
    By CALFFBOU in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 03:12 PM
  3. Rural/Metro...what do you think?
    By CALFFBOU in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register