Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Extrication Gloves

Does anyone know what fire departments have issued thier members extrication gloves? (preferably large depts)
    I have called a few glove manufacturers but they are reluctant to give out that kind of confidential information.

Thanks
    Firedog

Forum Member

Why does it matter?

MembersZone Subscriber

Because I want to find out other departments experiences with these gloves...

Forum Member

Well, i still don't exactly know what you mean. But we buy our own gloves, I write mine off on my when I do taxes.

We were issued the leather riggers gloves such as these http://www.elliottaustralia.com/elli...thumbs/501.jpg
    they're cheap but durable.

I also purchased my own pair of Crossfire extrication gloves which were fantastic but didn't cope too well with acids (Such as from batteries)
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Extrication Gloves

My dept. is fully paid 90 ffs. We are all issued Ringer Extrication gloves. Also be sure that they are big enough to wear latex gloves under them. We are pleaesd with them but you have to make sure that your members use them only for extrication and not for handling ropes and hose.

Forum Member

Deer skin leather from Home Depot. Last pair I paid 14 bucks for (I think). Work as good if not better than the expensive extrication gloves.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hosea3,
    would you mind contacting me through private e-mail?
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I carry my own shelbys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Search the forums, there have been many threads on extrication gloves. Personally, I have used several different types. About 8 years ago I started with the ringers gloves. They worked well. When they finally needed to be replaced, I went with the shelby gloves because the fit was a bit better on my hands. These gloves didn't hold up at all. Within a year they needed to be replaced. Currently I am using Ringers Barrier gloves. During the winter they are fine. However, once your hands warm up and begin too sweat, they are difficult to take off and put back on.

When it warms up, I'll be shopping for something else.

MembersZone Subscriber

"I went with the shelby gloves because the fit was a bit better on my hands. These gloves didn't hold up at all. Within a year they needed to be replaced. Currently I am using Ringers Barrier gloves. During the winter they are fine. However, once your hands warm up and begin too sweat, they are difficult to take off and put back on."

"Ditto"

MembersZone Subscriber bfdpipeman's Avatar

One of my departments recently issued all 35 part timers shelby gloves.... and they are working on getting new bunker gloves too.

Both my Volly FD & the Part Time Public Safety agency I work for have issued Ringers Extrication Gloves. So far I like them.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been using the Firemen's Shield Extrication gloves for about a year, so far they have held up the best.
    I also wear Shelbys, and Ringers,
    I have had problems with the Shelbys wearing out in the finger tips, but no stitching problems, The Ringers did not wear out but I just blew the stitching out of a couple of fingers.
    I have been wearing them about 20 hours a week between the three pairs during extrication training and regular M.V.C. calls etc.
    I find the Firemen's Shield A little expensive but they are very comfortable to wear, but if we buy 1100 pairs I m sure the price will be adjusted.
    A good test to perform for dexterity is to pick up loose change from the ground or a sawsall blade etc, that has been dropped.
    There are some extrication gloves out there that claim to have a lot of flexibility, but I could not pick up much more than using a regular fire glove with some.
    Thanks to everyone that has provided info so far,
    Firedog

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I usually buy Ringers long cuff. Only problem I found was when they were put in contact with battery acids. Or with hydraulics. the finger tips starting coming off. Still use them any way. Don't think I will find something that works perfectly under all situations. Now I am trying some Dewalt that were given to me as a present. So far they have good grip. and are holding.

KEEP SAFE

Thread Information