Forum Member

Default Why We Won't Hire You

So you made a mistake years ago. You say it doesn’t have anything to do with who you are now. You got a DUI, convicted on a drug charge, have something in your juvenile record, had a conviction expunged, and it is none of their business. It shouldn’t keep you from getting a job. Everybody makes mistakes.

Below is an example of why we don’t want you. A sheriff’s deputy fell asleep at the wheel and killed two cyclists, injured one. There is no indication he was drunk or did anything wrong other than to doze off.

POLICE DEPUTY WHO HIT CYCLISTS CHARED WITH DRUNKEN DRIVING IN '01

CUPERTINO, Calif. -- The sheriff's deputy behind the wheel in the deadly weekend accident involving bicyclists and a patrol car was charged in Los Angeles with drunken driving in 2001.

Santa Clara County Deputy James Council's car slammed into three cyclists Sunday morning along Stevens Canyon Boulevard in Cupertino. Witnesses reported hearing Council say he fell asleep at the wheel. Two of the cyclists were killed. A third was seriously injured.

The Los Angeles city attorney's office said council was arrested in 2001 on a charge of drunken driving, but as part of a plea bargain he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of an "exhibition of speed." He was sentenced to 24 months probation. He had been convicted earlier for racing on public streets.

Since this accident happened the media has been hounding the sheriff. They have been asking, how could you have hired someone with a record like that. They want to know if there are others on the department with backgrounds like that.

Our bosses are politicians. In every decision they make, they have to think, how will this look in the media, and what will the tax payers think. Anything that happens in this day and age is tried in the court of public opinion. In the media and the public’s opinion, the damage can be done long before all of the facts are revealed.

First, while everyone does make mistakes, very few people testing have convictions. Why should we hire you when we have hundreds or thousands applying that have not. Can you get a job with a DUI, or drug charge? Yes, but it isn’t easy.

But imagine, years after you’re hired, you have some sort of unfortunate accident. What will happen to the reputation of your department when the media gets hold of your record. If you choose not to tell us and we find out, you can and most likely will be fired. 5,10,25 years into your career you can be terminated with no notice, and no recourse. Even if they never found out, I sure wouldn’t want to spend a 25-30 year career looking over my shoulder.

Good Luck, Captain Rob

nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330
    www.myfireinterview.com

707-869-1330

Forum Member

Bugger off..

Forum Member

another advertisement...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    another advertisement...
    Yes it is.

Pehaps when the RobBobs post, they should add "another shameless plug for..." to the title.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-19-2008 at 06:58 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

In point of fact I know of more than one local cop who's gotten hired after having a DUI on their record (and yes, convicted as DUI, 23152(a) VC)... and I know of at least one who's gotten a DUI while an officer (off-duty of course), and kept their badge.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    In point of fact I know of more than one local cop who's gotten hired after having a DUI on their record (and yes, convicted as DUI, 23152(a) VC)... and I know of at least one who's gotten a DUI while an officer (off-duty of course), and kept their badge.
    in recent history...there are 2 in my area. Although, one did get fired after getting his third DUI when he totalled his own car and 3 others on a bridge. The other is probably going to win his appeal and soon be Chief of a department.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Default No backbone

That just tells me that there are some Chief officers out there who are unwilling to stand behind their men or stand up to the media. It sounds really cowardice to me. Instead of hiring someone who would be an excellent addition to the department, you would rather forgo him just so you don't have to stand up to the media in the event of an ACCIDENT that could happen to Officer Jones who has been on the department for 30 years?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    in recent history...there are 2 in my area. Although, one did get fired after getting his third DUI when he totalled his own car and 3 others on a bridge. The other is probably going to win his appeal and soon be Chief of a department.
    Let me guess. These are all Civil Service Depts.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

What is this SPAM doing outside of the recruitment section?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Well, as one of the webteam's protected children, he can post anywhere he wants.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information