MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pumper/Tanker Defined

I am assuming that if someone is writing for a pumper with a 2-3000 gallon tank, it would be listed in the drop down box as a pumper an explained/justified in the narrative.

Sound right?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Depends. If it's going to be a war wagon (4dr, crosslays, foam, etc) then yes. If it's a water supply truck that happens to have a bigger pump then tanker with explanation as to bigger pump in the box under it. No issues with it that I know of, got two tumper-pankers like that last year with no issues over the gpm thing because it was explained fully in the narrative on why the pump was big. COUGH, hint.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse. Know what i mean, know what i mean?? Eh? Eh??

Glad to see you in good spirits Brian!!

earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That's about all that's going to be left of me by April 4th at this rate.....a fat spirit though. One would think that being awake 21 hours a day would burn more calories. Buy stock in David Seeds, that's my advice, I'm going to need to grab the 5gal bucket from Sam's next trip...

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard you were getting bored so sent a couple more Iowa FD your direction today.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thanks, they can hop in line with the other 600 something.....

MembersZone Subscriber

For discussion....

If the dept. has two 30+ vehicles...one pumper and one tanker.....I would think that you'd want to write it for a pumper with a large tank rather than vice versa. My thought is that I think you can show a need for water WITH a pump greater than 750... It seems like they can show that they're killing two birds with one stone. I don't think you can write for a tender with a greater than 750 pump can you?

Also, with vechiles, would you specify an exact tank size on a vehicle like that or would you say something like "a minimum of 2000 gallon tank"?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Depends. If it's going to be a war wagon (4dr, crosslays, foam, etc) then yes. If it's a water supply truck that happens to have a bigger pump then tanker with explanation as to bigger pump in the box under it. No issues with it that I know of, got two tumper-pankers like that last year with no issues over the gpm thing because it was explained fully in the narrative on why the pump was big. COUGH, hint.
    OK, maybe the coffee just hasn't kicked in yet, but I don't understand the last sentence. Are you saying that you can get by with a pumper/tanker, even if you have a "significant" number in your fleet, if you just justify the pump size? I would have figured that the computer would knock you out without throwing a punch. Am I missing something?
    BAClair

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Depends on the situation. I have a few folks that run the pumper out first, backed up by a 2dr hydrant with wheels and a big pump, dumps that at the fireground then lays LDH to draft back. More efficient than hauling, 2nd out pumper on opposite side just in case needs reverse lay. 4-5 newer pumpers in 2 stations, yeah, avoid the gpm because you have enough. Also mainly only did this when replacing old pumper and old tanker in one app, but primary purpose was water hauling.

Forum Member

Gotcha. We intend to use the tanker first out along side the pumper (manpower dependent) but the big thing is to utilize the benefits of a pump, which is basically the same from 250-1000, on another vehicle. But, if DHS wants things a certain way, gotta play along.
    I only hope I can get everything finished. Look at me complaining; two apps vs. what, 200 apps, Brian? Here's wishing you and the rest strength and stamina.
    BAClair

Forum Member

Depends on the situation. I have a few folks that run the pumper out first, backed up by a 2dr hydrant with wheels and a big pump, dumps that at the fireground then lays LDH to draft back. More efficient than hauling, 2nd out pumper on opposite side just in case needs reverse lay. 4-5 newer pumpers in 2 stations, yeah, avoid the gpm because you have enough. Also mainly only did this when replacing old pumper and old tanker in one app, but primary purpose was water hauling.
    We requested a larger pump in our narrative last year, but had to certify that we would not go over 750 gpm before they would give us the grant. We did say in our narrative "We are also exploring the possibility of removing the 1978 pumper/rescue from service, if funding for this tanker is secured.", but that was when we were looking at a 1250 pump. We asked about the larger pump and they said we were changing the scope of our grant then. We definitely did not go in to the details like Brian was explaining.

Kelly

FH Mag/.com Contributor

200? Had that in January. There's this trend of everyone waiting until the last minute, which I resemble at times myself. 625 as of right now with a pile not even entered into the tracking system. Before y'all go nuts remember techinically I'm a company and right now have a few skilled folks working with me. I'll still have 300-400 of them written personally, pile tweaked of department written, and the 200-300 the PTs handle. I will read them all, my name is on the wall and I think that's my responsibility.

In other words don't expect to hear from me between April 4th at 5:01 EST and sometime around the 8th which is when I'll probably wake up. 10 days straight now on 3 hours a night, I should join a sleep study or something. Anyway, back to work, jerk of a boss is yelling at me again...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

So the underlying message is: bring your A+ game. I found the AC-DC, Ozzy, and 80s headbanging MP3s and I'm tearing it up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

So the underlying message is: bring your A+ game. I found the AC-DC, Ozzy, and 80s headbanging MP3s and I'm tearing it up.
    I've opted for the Minneapolis Country music station and realized that in you can hear the same Taylor Swift song about 7-10 times per narrative.

Thread Information