Forum Member

Default Anyone done any Hydrant Mapping

Hey Everyone,
    My department is currently looking to apply for ISO certification and one of the requirements is that we provide a map of all the hydrants in town. Now we already have a hard copy map that was put together by hand with the locations, but my Chief is interested in having a digital copy that can be updated.
    I've only got a year on the job so I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience in a project like this. I was thinking of using photoshop or something to create the locations on a .jpg map of the village.
    If any of you guys have any insight to this it'd be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Check with your local water dept. to see if they already have one made up for their use. Then just get the updates from them when they happen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redline85 View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    My department is currently looking to apply for ISO certification and one of the requirements is that we provide a map of all the hydrants in town. Now we already have a hard copy map that was put together by hand with the locations, but my Chief is interested in having a digital copy that can be updated.
    I've only got a year on the job so I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience in a project like this. I was thinking of using photoshop or something to create the locations on a .jpg map of the village.
    If any of you guys have any insight to this it'd be greatly appreciated.
    Talk to your County. Our Appraisers Office has a GIS digital map of the whole County. We brought them a list (CSV, electronic file) of hydrant locations and flow rates for all of our hydrants. They imported it to the GIS data and printed us a map. Cost 0. Just our time to do the GPS mapping.

Forum Member

The only hydrant map we have is a giant faded piece hanging over our call board. I'm sure in it's day it was nice, you can still see the different color dots where the hydrants are, but you can't see the streets anymore.

We should probably get a new one of them....

Forum Member

I used a GPS to mark each hydrant, then printed sections of the map, laminated, and bound into a book. The only problem I ran into is that the map maker is slightly behind actual, in some cases. Have had to add or move streets by hand.

It is a prelim to carrying a laptop with clickable data attached to each hydrant.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have water company maps of the hydrant system as well as digital hydrant mapping on our GIS program and I've just started putting hydrant into my personal GPS unit as a trial. I suspect by next year all our engine will have GPS with hydrants located in them tagged with their flow. This is necessary in our area do to poor hydrant locations (some street have them every 1000 ft, other have none, and most are space indiscriminately.)

Thread Information