Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    If you are an Explorer, or Jr, or anything other then an active FIREFIGHTER, you have NO buisness with the following;
    Interior firefighting.
    Exterior firefighting
    Radios, unless they play music
    Emergency lights, sirens, or responding
    Power tools on scene
    Rank
    Or whining.
    We are here to HELP you develop that wet noodle stuffing between your ears called your brain. We understand that it is frustrating to not be able to do what we do. Trust me, most, if not all of us are former Junior members of a FD. Some of us have fouled up, gotten knocked on our ***, and know what to avoid.
    Ask smart questions. I can care less what kind of LEDs you have on your new Super Duper QUINT/Tanker/Heavy Resq, and I will probably make fun of you. But, you want to learn about ropes and knots, why you use a large calibur line, bunker gear donning tips, SCBA donning tips, or something that will help you develop yourself, ask away.

This should be a mandate to congress. Amen
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead90 View Post
    This should be a mandate to congress. Amen
    Please change your signature. That's 4 months old.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Im going to agree with a lot of what BLSboy said.

Although...

When I was a cadet, I bassically could do anythin on a fire scene other then enter a burning building on a call. Now that I look back, that was probably a huge mistake on my Departments part. Now the Cadet program is much different, with many set rules and guidlines that need to be followed.

Like...

-On School Days Cadets are not allowed at the Firehouse from 8am -3pm
    -School Nights Cadets can not be in the station or on a call or such between the hours of 9:30pm and 8am
    -Copy of your grades goes to the Chief and if you have anything less then a C in any class, you are banned from calls for the rest of the Quarter. You may still attend Meetings and Trainings at the Chiefs Discretion.
    -Cadets are no longer to ride on either frontline engine, even if there is an open seat on the truck.
    -No Mutual Aid for Cadets.
    -No Motor Vehicle Accidents (Side Note, We only go to serious MVA's i.e. Entrapment or Ejection or Multiple Injuries or MVA's w/ a large (10+ gallon) fuel leak)
    -At scenes cadets stick to the staging area and are deployed from there just like every other firefighter.

Default so......

Just So Ever One Knows Dont Bust on the Jr's Explorers or any of the Younger ones Because they will be the ones Replacing you so just Tell them everthing and anything to help them
    Explorer Lt.Korey Enman-Curtis
    Email:Korey91@GMX.us

Forum Member

Default 99.99%

If you are an Explorer, or Jr, or anything other then an active FIREFIGHTER, you have NO buisness with the following;
    Interior firefighting.
    Exterior firefighting
    Radios, unless they play music
    Emergency lights, sirens, or responding
    Power tools on scene
    Rank
    Or whining.
    We are here to HELP you develop that wet noodle stuffing between your ears called your brain. We understand that it is frustrating to not be able to do what we do. Trust me, most, if not all of us are former Junior members of a FD. Some of us have fouled up, gotten knocked on our ***, and know what to avoid.
    Ask smart questions. I can care less what kind of LEDs you have on your new Super Duper QUINT/Tanker/Heavy Resq, and I will probably make fun of you. But, you want to learn about ropes and knots, why you use a large calibur line, bunker gear donning tips, SCBA donning tips, or something that will help you develop yourself, ask away.
    I agree with you 99.99% of what you are saying.
    Rank, I think it is an important part of an explorer post. Are post currently has a Captain and 3 Lieutenants. It helps with chain of command skills and the advisor's. You can't ask them to do everything.

Forum Member

-------------
    Last edited by NFD1957; 05-23-2008 at 03:23 PM.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by NFD1957 View Post
    As juniors we are doing HANDS-ON TRAINING!!! Let me repeat myself HANDS-ON TRAINING!! That is what we are here for!! No one here is whining. yes we should NOT be doing interior or ventilation but we can do many things outside the structure after we learn how to do them properly!! The constant arguing on here needs to stop NOW cause i know this doesn't happen at the fire house and so it shouldn't happen here! So everyone needs to give it a rest and have some respect for each other!!

As a last reminder:

WE ARE HERE FOR HANDS-ON TRAINING!!!!!
    ITS CALLED TRAINING!!
    TRAINING = LEARNING!!
    LEARNING = KNOWLEDGE!!!
    You need to cut down on your sugar, and switch to decaf, junior. I will be back to learn you good after I make some bank.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

You need to cut down on your sugar, and switch to decaf, junior. I will be back to learn you good after I make some bank.
    I have the popcorn... Wonder how good this will taste with water ... I don't drink pop anymore.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

As juniors we are doing HANDS-ON TRAINING!!! Let me repeat myself HANDS-ON TRAINING!! That is what we are here for!! No one here is whining. yes we should NOT be doing interior or ventilation but we can do many things outside the structure after we learn how to do them properly!! The constant arguing on here needs to stop NOW cause i know this doesn't happen at the fire house and so it shouldn't happen here! So everyone needs to give it a rest and have some respect for each other!!

As a last reminder:

ITS CALLED TRAINING!!
    TRAINING = LEARNING!!
    LEARNING = KNOWLEDGE!!!
    Almighty Junior,
    What is a discussion without disagreement? Sorry Sally, but I'm willing to put money down that over 40% of the threads in the Explorer Forums were started because of someone whining (i.e. "I Need a Pager", "Stupid Louisiana Labor Laws", "Junior/Explorer Duties", "We NEED TO HAVE RADIOS").
    Hate to break it to you, but it isn't all about hands-on training. Tell me if I'm wrong - School is mostly class work, there isn't too much hands-on stuff in school. You have to learn the right way to solve an Algebra problem before your math instructor gives you the homework, right? So in firefighting, if would be only right to learn the proper way to do vertical ventilation before actually doing it - Or it would only be right to learn the proper way to carry out a victim so you don't hurt yourself nor the victim - Or it would be right to learn about traffic safety. If it wasn't proper to learn stuff in a "classroom setting," then why don't we just go back to the 1800s and make everyone be apart of firefighting???
    Now on to the part where you talk about everyone fighting and arguing... Again, I ask, what is a discussion without disagreements? There is a few people on here who believe they may be better than others, know more than others, or act like they know more than others - But then there's a few on here who have been on the job for 30, maybe 40+ years. Respect is too big of a word for some people on here.
    Now, lets consider how much of a newbie you are around here... March 2008. The FH forums have been around since around 1998 - 10 years. You, with a whopping 2 months under your belt, will not change anything. No one will listen to you for the following reasons - 1) You're a newbie 2)You're a Jr/Explorer 3) You don't use proper grammar.

Reasons such as this are the same reasons I don't visit the Forums much - I'm slowly drifting away...
    Firefighter/EMT

makes good girls go bad

As a last reminder:

ITS CALLED TRAINING!!
    TRAINING = LEARNING!!
    LEARNING = KNOWLEDGE!!!
    No, you are there to observe, and learn the basics. Among them, self control.
    You are, at best, a go-for.
    I will not disagree that the best way to learn is the show one, do one, teach one method.
    You learn in the class room setting.
    You go out the the prop, and are shown by the instructor.
    You do it.
    You teach someone else to do it.
    If your firehouse doesn't have disagreement in it, then there is something WRONG.
    There are many tasks for you to do on the exterior.
    Grab me a water, and Gatorade. I prefer both ice cold, and Orange Gatorade, K, thanks.
    Change out my cylander too, I used some air during that attack.
    Oh, and go fetch me the drywall hook. After I suck down this bottle, I gotta go overhaul. And now you may grab your pack, and come in observe overhaul, and the investigation.
    Get in the way, and out you go.
    Don't like it?
    Go soak your head.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

The constant arguing on here needs to stop NOW cause i know this doesn't happen at the fire house and so it shouldn't happen here!
    Must be nice to be at your Dept. There is always arguments about things, just come to a monthly meeting at my dept.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Talking

I would have to disagree explorers should be allowed to fight fire

makes good girls go bad

Countdown to the mass hysteria in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1......
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

As a last reminder:

ITS CALLED TRAINING!!
    TRAINING = LEARNING!!
    LEARNING = KNOWLEDGE!!!
    Hate to burst your bubble but, an active fireground is not the place for HANDS-ON TRAINING. Your drill nite or any other time you can use the equipment in a non-emergency mode is hands-on training.

My company does hands-on training everyday. On the fireground, if I have done my job properly, when I give them an order I expect it to be done without any guidance and properly. It is not the time to train. If the IC needs something done that's not the time to train someone. You now have to make sure it was done right and if it has not you have to send someone else to fix it, not good fire ground management.

There will be plenty of time in your career to train. Just don't become one of those 2/20 wonders (two years in the fire service with 20 years experience in their own mind.) Or worst a certificate hound. Certificates mean you showed up physically in class, but does not mean that you actually learned anything or can apply what you learned. Have you ever seen anyone not be given a certificate???

Also, don't grow up to fast have fun while you are young and dumb. Being an adult is not all that. Life was more fun without any real responsibility.

Hope some of this sinks in. Have fun.

PS Girls do not have cooties.

Back In Black

Our juniors can do the following (once trained):

Help replace cylinders
    Perform accountability (hold the tags)
    Move hoselines (exterior only)
    Throw speedy dry (work brooms, shovels, etc)

Cannot:
    Enter the hazard area
    Work any motorized equipment (state child labor laws apply)
    Wear SCBA on an incident
    Drive anything

The lists have more, but that gives you a flavor.

ALSO: Here in our County, they can attend Firefighter One at the County Academy, and can do the hands on evolutions. When they turn 18, they simply mail in their certificate and they are certified NJ Firefighter One's.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

As a last reminder:

ITS CALLED TRAINING!!
    TRAINING = LEARNING!!
    LEARNING = KNOWLEDGE!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

The constant arguing on here needs to stop NOW cause i know this doesn't happen at the fire house and so it shouldn't happen here!
    So is it just you and your mom who are members of this department............? First of all, you coming on here and more or less ordering people to stop just makes this all funnier. And second of all, you've never heard an argument, disagreement, or even an intelligent conversation regarding the safety of young adults?

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

Countdown to the mass hysteria in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1......
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    So is it just you and your mom who are members of this department............? First of all, you coming on here and more or less ordering people to stop just makes this all funnier. And second of all, you've never heard an argument, disagreement, or even an intelligent conversation regarding the safety of young adults?
    It made me laugh too. Obviously this kid doesn't spend much time in a firehouse or his dept is in a fairy tale world. No arguing?? That would be a frickin first.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrffrights View Post
    One would hope you are joking.

Ryan

I was joking but consider there is some volunteer depts that have firefighters that are 16. All you have to do is pay extra insurance money.

Forum Member

I was joking but consider there is some volunteer depts that have firefighters that are 16. All you have to do is pay extra insurance money.
    I'm pretty sure that you dont have to just "pay extra insurance money". In most states child labor laws prohibit children under the age of 18 from participating in firefighting activites or being in IDLH environments.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I've never heard of any 16 year old in the US or Canada being able to be a full firefighter just by paying "extra insurance money". I think that is an extra large load of bulls***! I don't know of any insurance company that would insure a 16 year old to complete the duty's required of a Firefighter.

But if you can show me some place that does allow this I'd love to see the laws or regulations stating it can happen.

Ryan

Forum Member

You two do realize he has two posts, both in this thread stirring the pot. I would bet an IP check would reveal he has another real alias around here...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    You two do realize he has two posts, both in this thread stirring the pot. I would bet an IP check would reveal he has another real alias around here...
    That could very well be. He could also be seriously thinking those things as well.

Ryan

It is some small volunteer department in west texas

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    That could very well be. He could also be seriously thinking those things as well.
    i've thought of the possibility also, and pray to god that is the fact because I hope that there isn't anyone out there that really thinks like that.

Thread Information