Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    i've thought of the possibility also, and pray to god that is the fact because I hope that there isn't anyone out there that really thinks like that.
    Nothing would surprise me anymore man. In my work it amazes me what some people think they can do sometimes.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrffrights View Post
    I would have to disagree explorers should be allowed to fight fire

I'm not really a "Junior Firefighter" or an "Explorer"...yet...but...

Just one word to that statement:

WOW
    You might be a Firefighter if you've ever used the pickup line "Your hotter than a 4 alarm fire"

Jesus...the ONE and ONLY way to heaven.

Forum Member

I have a question here, and that's the following question, what are the list of the fire service knots and how would I go about tying them? Thanks.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230 View Post
    Thank you. THANK YOU! These will help ALOT! Thank you.
    Squad 54 responding with two personell, show Engine 542 responding aswell.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Engine542 View Post
    I have a question here, and that's the following question, what are the list of the fire service knots and how would I go about tying them? Thanks.
    Try the funamentals book.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    If you are an Explorer, or Jr, or anything other then an active FIREFIGHTER, you have NO buisness with the following;
    Interior firefighting.
    Exterior firefighting
    Radios, unless they play music
    Emergency lights, sirens, or responding
    Power tools on scene
    Rank
    Or whining.
    We are here to HELP you develop that wet noodle stuffing between your ears called your brain. We understand that it is frustrating to not be able to do what we do. Trust me, most, if not all of us are former Junior members of a FD. Some of us have fouled up, gotten knocked on our ***, and know what to avoid.
    Ask smart questions. I can care less what kind of LEDs you have on your new Super Duper QUINT/Tanker/Heavy Resq, and I will probably make fun of you. But, you want to learn about ropes and knots, why you use a large calibur line, bunker gear donning tips, SCBA donning tips, or something that will help you develop yourself, ask away.
    LMAO, I second all the above...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    Well it's better than the kid who's not even an explorer yet, but follows the truck around with lights on his bike and a portable. Oo

However, I do admire his enthusiasm!
    i know a guy who is like that now everytime he hears a pre-alert he flips out thinking that we have a call
    Firefighter Girls Kick Ash!

Forum Member

Originally Posted by NFD1957
    As juniors we are doing HANDS-ON TRAINING!!! Let me repeat myself HANDS-ON TRAINING!! That is what we are here for!! No one here is whining. yes we should NOT be doing interior or ventilation but we can do many things outside the structure after we learn how to do them properly!! The constant arguing on here needs to stop NOW cause i know this doesn't happen at the fire house and so it shouldn't happen here! So everyone needs to give it a rest and have some respect for each other!!

As a last reminder:

WE ARE HERE FOR HANDS-ON TRAINING!!!!!
    ITS CALLED TRAINING!!
    TRAINING = LEARNING!!
    LEARNING = KNOWLEDGE!!!

Until I read this somewhat misguided logic I was not going to jump into this one. I was at one time a Junior firefighter. It was a growing experience. It was a training experience. There are times that I truly learned that to err is human. I was very human under those standards. It is not all about hands on training. There is a lot of class work that goes into training any firefighter. Full grown or Junior. There is a ton of protocol and procedure that is to be beaten into the Junior's thick skull. There are aspects of the Junior scope of practice that are just as if not more important than any practical skills you may or may not use on a fire scene. More importantly would you rather learn your hands-on skills in a learning environment or when the Chief or some other Command officer is screaming obsenities at you because they want something done 5 minutes ago and you don't know how? Our Junior / cadet program has changed greatly to include no interior firefighting or auto extrication. All exterior work or support work can be done. They take part in any and all training evolutions that the rest of the department take part in. They also are not on first out apparatus unless there is no other personnel to fill open seats. It is working for us at this time. May change at any time
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

In addition to what AJ said at the beginning of this thread I have some of my own rules for my explorers.

On school days explorers are not allowed at the station between 0800 and 1500 or after 2100

I will get a copy of your grades, and if you have anything less then a C in any class, you are suspended for 1 month. And you better dam well bring 'em to me, dont make me call the school.

Explorers will not ride a first due piece of apparatus. PERIOD

Explorers will not drive or ride in any vehicle code 3. No lights no siren except for being in a parade.

No responding to car wrecks under age 18.

At scenes explorers will stay in the staging area until told otherwise.

Explorers are there to observe only, if your lucky I'll let you fetch a tool. All your hands on training will be just that, training, in a controlled environment.

I have zero tolerance for crybabies and whiners. If you dont like it go join the police explorers.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPIPER View Post
    In addition to what AJ said at the beginning of this thread I have some of my own rules for my explorers.

On school days explorers are not allowed at the station between 0800 and 1500 or after 2100

I will get a copy of your grades, and if you have anything less then a C in any class, you are suspended for 1 month. And you better dam well bring 'em to me, dont make me call the school.

Explorers will not drive or ride in any vehicle code 3. No lights no siren except for being in a parade.

Explorers are there to observe only, if your lucky I'll let you fetch a tool. All your hands on training will be just that, training, in a controlled environment.

I have zero tolerance for crybabies and whiners. If you dont like it go join the police explorers.
    Those are some solid rules Piper. I that you get their report cards because if they cannot put effort into schooling they have no business hanging around the fire hall.

The last part I completely agree with 110%.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Ding, ding, ding you hit it right on the nail. I agree 100%.

Delta107

Forum Member

Dont get me wrong, its ok to have some fun, yes I may be somewhat of a hardass but fightin fire aint fun and games, its serious buisness, and explorers, jr's etc are still just kids, not firefighters. You are there to learn and observe, just because you got a helmet and bunker coat dont give you the right to whine about not being able to do the job. You should be dammed glad someone takes the time to even bother with explorers and jr's. You should consider it an honor and a privilage that you get to do what little you are allowed to do.
    Last edited by SPIPER; 06-03-2008 at 03:01 AM.
    Steve
    SUA SPONTE

Forum Member

SPIPER - You mean that I'm not a FIREFIGHTER. Darn, Just kidding. I still agree with you 100% not the hard *** thing though. Not getting that vibe.

Delta107

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Huh??...............

Gosh Darn It!!........... I can't do anything that's fun...........

But, I gotta give ya one................."Go join the Police Exploders........." is the funniest thing I've seen this morning. (I just got up)...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    But, I gotta give ya one................."Go join the Police Exploders........." is the funniest thing I've seen this morning. (I just got up)...........
    Wait a second...
    The Police Explorers get to EXPLODE stuff???
    Man... I picked the wrong job.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Our rules for our Explorers are very much the same as yours. Except that it seems that maybe we will be allowing them to do a few things that your kids cant do. For example,have your Explorers been trained on how to start generators and set up lights? We are going to train our Explorers on how to do that. They will be required to do truck checks too. So that if a firefighter requests a particular tool the Explorer will know right where to go for the tool. The kids will be taught how to set up a hydrant, work a hoseline (only in their own trainings) and alot more baseline operations. It will be a long while before our kids will be allowed anywhere near any scenes at all but they certainly are looking forward to learning everything they will need to know for when that day finally comes. If you have any hints for us we would love to hear them...good bad or indifferent. We literally are all new at this Explorer program so any input is good for us as advisors
    Jami
    PS We spent a saturday with the Explorers from Rossford and their area depts...we had our first dose of Police Explorers...my husband (also an advisor) got his butt kicked by one of the Police Explorers! It was a sight to see
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Forum Member

Teach them everything they'd learn in any FF1 class, in a training environment only But just because they learn how things are done does'nt mean they get to do it for real. You can teach them simple things like:
    Where each piece of equipment is kept on which piece of apparatus
    Basic first aid and CPR
    Chain of command
    Community emergency preparedness
    Communication with portable radios
    Have them work on community service projects such as smoke detectors, weather radios
    Types of and proper use of portable fire extinguishers
    Home fire drills
    Fire behavior and the fire triangle
    How to use and maintain scba
    Ladder safety
    Suit them up in turnouts and scba, paint an old scba mask black and have them do search and rescue evolutions. Start out by having them do a wall search, then have them hop to a hose roll and then the team has to stretch out to find the next. They then follow a tangled hoseline out. In the next evolution they have to remove a rescue randy. We did things like have PASS alarms activated and also pulled people from the group to keep them on their toes.
    Plan and conduct a fund raiser
    How to properly wear ppe
    Ropes and knots
    There's a myriad of things you can do, just safety first.
    Last edited by SPIPER; 06-03-2008 at 08:53 PM.
    Steve
    SUA SPONTE

Forum Member

Teach them everything they'd learn in any FF1 class, in a training environment only But just because they learn how things are done does'nt mean they get to do it for real. You can teach them simple things like:
    Where each piece of equipment is kept on which piece of apparatus
    Basic first aid and CPR
    Chain of command
    Community emergency preparedness
    Communication with portable radios
    Have them work on community service projects such as smoke detectors, weather radios
    Types of and proper use of portable fire extinguishers
    Home fire drills
    Fire behavior and the fire triangle
    How to use and maintain scba
    Ladder safety
    Suit them up in turnouts and scba, paint an old scba mask black and have them do search and rescue evolutions. Start out by having them do a wall search, then have them hop to a hose roll and then the team has to stretch out to find the next. They then follow a tangled hoseline out. In the next evolution they have to remove a rescue randy. We did things like have PASS alarms activated and also pulled people from the group to keep them on their toes.
    Plan and conduct a fund raiser
    How to properly wear ppe
    Ropes and knots
    There's a myriad of things you can do, just safety first.
    We have just about all of that on their training schedule for the year. The one that I hadnt thought of was home fire drills, that is a great idea!! I cant believe I didnt think of it, duh! They have seen rescue randy and I cant wait until they train with randy. My son (one of the Explorers) has had to try to move randy to help my husband set up trainings for the firefighters. He says he cant wait to actually get to use randy...he will change his mind! LOL
    Thanks for the input!
    Jami
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Forum Member

Red face

we're aloud to go to car wrecks as long as we are 17 or older
    we can fight structure fires from the exterior only and we can go on ANY wildland call...... he hell'd a gun to our heads and made us take that 6 hour class for 4 f#)(U$(^$*& days with a man who had NO tone to his voice....... it was interesting i learned a lot got 100% on the test!! but yeah we can do a lot because we kind of blew off BSA and did our own thing ...... we are still paying dues to them but we don't really follow THEIR rules:|

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GCFD5exploder View Post
    we can fight structure fires from the exterior only and we can go on ANY wildland call...... he hell'd a gun to our heads and made us take that 6 hour class for 4 f#)(U$(^$*& days with a man who had NO tone to his voice....... it was interesting i learned a lot got 100% on the test!! but yeah we can do a lot because we kind of blew off BSA and did our own thing ...... we are still paying dues to them but we don't really follow THEIR rules:|
    I'm thinking this will get interesting.

At these car wrecks, what are you allowed to do? What training do you have in vehicle extrication?? What sort of supervision do you have at these scenes?

Same thing for the exterior work at structure fires??

Wildland, although you do have training I hope to god you are never allowed to leave a senior persons side unless your in the rehab zone. 4 Days with somebody that has no tone. I've taken 8 month course with 5 instructors that had no tone. Stop complaining.

The bold part I have the biggest problem with. I don't see how you can claim to not follow somebodys rules, yet you pay dues to them. If you pay dues to them you are apart of them, therefore you should be following their rules. God forbid something happens to one of you and if they find out that you chose to break their rules. You guys would be left with a major major s**t storm.

Ryan

Forum Member

I just like is name. Gives me real confidence in any of his post.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

I'll grab the popcorn.
    And find a comfy couch to put here by that computer.
    This one's going to get fugly.
    I may decide at a later time to put in my real comments. But I'm pretty much speechless right now.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post

The bold part I have the biggest problem with. I don't see how you can claim to not follow somebodys rules, yet you pay dues to them. If you pay dues to them you are apart of them, therefore you should be following their rules. God forbid something happens to one of you and if they find out that you chose to break their rules. You guys would be left with a major major s**t storm.
    Not only that, but the sad part would be the nice insurance BSA covers the Explorers with will be invalid since it was not under BSA's conditions and limitations and it would be left as a heap of s**t for the department and the family of the Explorer. I can see that news article now.. what a mess that'd be.

Quote Originally Posted by GCFD5exploder View Post
    I'd suggest you think more next time you decide to post a message. Not only is the ending of your post very dangerous, it's not something I would think they'd appreciate you posting around about..

Enough of me, I'm grabbing my own popcorn and seat.

Forum Member

okay i should have worded it differently ....... its not that we dont follow their rules but for example their rules say that we cannot operate pressured lines but during training we do HOWEVER on the scene WE do not we stand and watch.... and help when needed...... and as for the wildland thing yes we always have a Capt or an officer with us but our trucks only hold 2 people so it;s an officer and an explorer......

Thread Information