+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456
    Forum Member

Red face

Sorry i was wrong..... i asked my advisor and the recruits do the stuff i said explorers do but all the explorers do the stuff you guys said they were supposed to do..... i feel SUPER stupid....... i got you guys all confused for nothing... sorry
    Last edited by GCFD5exploder; 06-24-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GCFD5exploder View Post
    Sorry i was wrong..... i asked my advisor and the recruits do the stuff i said explorers do but all the explorers do the stuff you guys said they were supposed to do..... i feel SUPER stupid....... i got you guys all confused for nothing... sorry

I accept your apology.
    Delta107

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GCFD5exploder View Post
    It happens.

But don't let it happen again, yah hear??
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Absolutely not.
    You are going to bed with no dinner!
    Aww. But Dad... that's the same thing you do every night... for the past 73 days. And I know that for a fact because I have a counter on my wall - I write tally marks with crayons.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

makes good girls go bad

I thought you ate those crayons, your windowlicking short bus rider....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    I thought you ate those crayons, your windowlicking short bus rider....
    Ok. I give.
    You win.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Response

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Was this only a Dept rule or is this a state wide thing?? If it's only a Department rule, I hope for your sake nothing bad ever happens.

I know at 16 years old I could have attended the local Fire School with a Department member accompanying me on all training and parental permission. Having said that I would not have been able to do anything different because of that.
    Currently my department is one of two departments in the county that I know of that permit junior firefighters to perform firefighting operations once certified. About two years ago we suspended the juniors "firefighting" and ems privileges for a few weeks due to concern over child labor laws and the like. Our department lawyer and a few officers did some research and contacted the state fire programs, OSHA, and child services to inquire about the legality of the program. After this investigation we determined that our practice of allow junior members to utilize power tools or ladders PRIOR to their certification as a FF1 was not permitted. After the junior was over the age of 16 and certified by the state to the level of FF1 these restrictions were lifted. When we asked about why they could operate the equipment during class, in a training environment, and not at the station in a training environment we were told that due to the fact that all academy instructors are certified as instructors by the state they are permitted to supervise none FF1 minors during these evolutions. So once again to kind of simplify it we determined it is completely legal to allow junior members to fully participate in firefighting and ems operations, in a non-supervisory role, as long as the following criteria are met: 1.) Over the age of 16 2.) Certified FF1 or higher 3.) Have signed State parental permission form

I also wanted to attach a copy of the state law for everyone’s reference:

Code of Virginia Labor and Employment Law reads:
    § 40.1-79.1. Exemptions from chapter generally; local ordinance authorizing participation in volunteer fire company activities.
    A. Any county, city or town may authorize by ordinance any person residing anywhere in the Commonwealth, aged 16 years or older, who is a member of a volunteer fire company within such county, city, or town with parental or guardian approval, (i) to seek certification under National Fire Protection Association 1001, level one, firefighter standards, as administered by the Department of Fire Programs; and (ii) to work with or participate fully in all activities of such volunteer fire company, provided such person has attained certification under National Fire Protection Association 1001, level one, firefighter standards, as administered by the Department of Fire Programs.
    B. Any trainer or instructor of such persons mentioned in subsection A of this section and any member of a paid or volunteer fire company who supervises any such persons shall be exempt from the provisions of § 40.1-103, provided that the provisions of § 40.1-100 have not been violated, when engaged in activities of a volunteer fire company, and provided that the volunteer fire company or the governing body of such county, city or town has purchased insurance which provides coverage for injuries to or the death of such persons in their performance of activities under this section.

Thanks and have a safe day everyone!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rdw930 View Post
    Currently my department is one of two departments in the county that I know of that permit junior firefighters to perform firefighting operations once certified. About two years ago we suspended the juniors "firefighting" and ems privileges for a few weeks due to concern over child labor laws and the like. Our department lawyer and a few officers did some research and contacted the state fire programs, OSHA, and child services to inquire about the legality of the program. After this investigation we determined that our practice of allow junior members to utilize power tools or ladders PRIOR to their certification as a FF1 was not permitted. After the junior was over the age of 16 and certified by the state to the level of FF1 these restrictions were lifted. When we asked about why they could operate the equipment during class, in a training environment, and not at the station in a training environment we were told that due to the fact that all academy instructors are certified as instructors by the state they are permitted to supervise none FF1 minors during these evolutions. So once again to kind of simplify it we determined it is completely legal to allow junior members to fully participate in firefighting and ems operations, in a non-supervisory role, as long as the following criteria are met: 1.) Over the age of 16 2.) Certified FF1 or higher 3.) Have signed State parental permission form

I also wanted to attach a copy of the state law for everyone’s reference:

Code of Virginia Labor and Employment Law reads:
    § 40.1-79.1. Exemptions from chapter generally; local ordinance authorizing participation in volunteer fire company activities.
    A. Any county, city or town may authorize by ordinance any person residing anywhere in the Commonwealth, aged 16 years or older, who is a member of a volunteer fire company within such county, city, or town with parental or guardian approval, (i) to seek certification under National Fire Protection Association 1001, level one, firefighter standards, as administered by the Department of Fire Programs; and (ii) to work with or participate fully in all activities of such volunteer fire company, provided such person has attained certification under National Fire Protection Association 1001, level one, firefighter standards, as administered by the Department of Fire Programs.
    B. Any trainer or instructor of such persons mentioned in subsection A of this section and any member of a paid or volunteer fire company who supervises any such persons shall be exempt from the provisions of § 40.1-103, provided that the provisions of § 40.1-100 have not been violated, when engaged in activities of a volunteer fire company, and provided that the volunteer fire company or the governing body of such county, city or town has purchased insurance which provides coverage for injuries to or the death of such persons in their performance of activities under this section.

Thanks and have a safe day everyone!
    Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Whoa!!..................

It happens.

But don't let it happen again, yah hear??

GCFD5Exploder, Be EXTREMELY Careful not to do that again, especially in front of those guys in NDVFDFF33's Avatar. They carry Guns.........

AJ, what about Short Buses?? Can I help?.......
    Last edited by hwoods; 06-26-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    GCFD5Exploder, Be EXTREMELY Careful not to do that again, especially in front of those guys in NDVFDFF33's Avatar. They carry Guns.........
    They are some crazy mofo's hwoods. They WILL NOT let it happen again.

Ryan

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Uh Huh...........

They are some crazy mofo's hwoods. They WILL NOT let it happen again.

John Phillip Law was one of my Favorite Actors. Nothing like a Western with him and Clint Eastwood.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitesox4life View Post
    Yes BLS has a point with this. I am a former Jr. FF (just turned 18 and moved up to Sr side). But I have to disagree with this statement. Junior Firefighters are NOT firefighters by ANY means. Just because the name is there, that doesn't mean anything. Juniors are IMHO just job shadowers. The only thing that they can do and are good for on a fire scene is fetching tools and helping with rehab. I'm not trying to put anybody down, cause, remember, I just came from that side. All you are there to do is to LEARN. Nothing more, Nothing less.
    money says you didnt think that when you were a jr.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    As an advisor I would never tell my Explorers that all they are good for is tool fetching and rehab. Its demeaning and would blow their self-confidence out of the water! We are still in the beginning stages of training our Post (formed in April 2008) but so far they have been trained on alot more than rehab and tools. We expect them to be able to set up flood lights, fans, generators. Help set up hydrants and hoselines. They are now trained on SCBAs so they can change out tanks and help suit up the firefighters. They all know the rules and what their limits are but there is no slacking when it comes to assisting the firefighters. We have a long way to go with these 13 young men and women and so far its been a fun ride!
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    Well it's better than the kid who's not even an explorer yet, but follows the truck around with lights on his bike and a portable. Oo

However, I do admire his enthusiasm!
    Hey,my last three years in Kentucky,a bicycle was how I got around.
    I lived a quarter mile from the station and would get there just as everyone else was,if not sooner sometimes.Most often during when the officer was giving out assignments,he'd have to have someone nudge me because I'd burned off all the adrenaline just getting to the house and wasn't as excited as everyone else was that we'd gotten a call after a slow week.
    I left the protable at the station since the pager was lighter to tote around.I didn't have lights but joked about getting them.They just jack up the insurance on your car when you add them to the policy anyway.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Now that you mention it, I didnt think that when I was an explorer either. I KNEW it.

Explorers are not firefighters. Why such a long discussion?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456

Thread Information