Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default AFG Vehicle Cost Benefit

Does the cost benefit calculation on a vehicle grant total up all the details of the request including the Vehicle, and all the additional funding (d) equipment and (h) other (driver training)? Or is the cost benefit calc done for the actual cost of the vehicle?
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I just supply a cost calculation based on the the entire cost of the project, instead of breaking it up, keeps it simple and to the point. In this case, the entire cost based on the life span of the vehicle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    I just supply a cost calculation based on the the entire cost of the project, instead of breaking it up, keeps it simple and to the point. In this case, the entire cost based on the life span of the vehicle.
    How do you account for the "total life span of the vehicle"? Does your request figure funding for the maintenance and upkeep for 12,15 or 20 years?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    How do you account for the "total life span of the vehicle"? Does your request figure funding for the maintenance and upkeep for 12,15 or 20 years?
    No, just the cost of the vehicle. What I address in the narrative as a benefit is maintenance and repair costs will decline except for normal PM's.
    Last edited by onebugle; 03-20-2008 at 12:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, just the cost of the vehicle. What I address in the narrative as a benefit is maintenance and repair costs will decline except for normal PM's.
    OK, that makes sense.

Forum Member

So doesn't that artificially inflate the purchase cost of the Vehicle? Instead of a $238k engine, now we are asking for a $260k engine. Won't that seem to change the basic cost/benefit cost analysis incorrectly?

MembersZone Subscriber

In the project description I clearly point out the cost for the whole project then for each area. XXX amount for the vehicle, XXX amount for equipment, XXX amount for training.

In the cost/benefit combining them together is just for ease, it gives the PR an idea, a baseline.

You could split out each and give an individual cost calculation, one for the vehicle, one for training, one for equipment for accuracy, but the same issue applies to equipment. Depending on what equipment you are looking for most will have different life spans, would you split that out also, not likely.You could look at training as being a one time thing, but the training will remain with the firefighter essentially for their career.

OK, here's my situation- I've got a district of 10 square miles with 1250 residents. We run automatic aid with the other district in the town, 17.5 more square miles and about 1,000 more people. (of course if I could count livestock, I'd be set: they outnumber the residents like 3:1...) Do (or can) I add the extra bodies to my total for the cost/benefit calc? and then, if I added the other districts that we have formal mutual aid (actually, the entire County is formal mutual aid, but I digress) I could add an additional 5,000 people (now my numbers are great, but alone they stink) I'm looking at a C/B rating of mid 5's alone, low 3's with the automatic aid and I didn't even calculate it with all the mutual aid, but it would be very low...

Problem is I really need to win the game or else my current 30 year old tanker will be 40 years old when we finally scap up enough funding to replace it...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well you're also dealing with an argument in a narrative. You can divide all day long, but if you spend so much time running down C-B calcs you lose the reviewer to numbers instead of convincing them of the need first. Once that's done C-B is a walk. When it comes to trucks the best C-B is commercial chassis. We could be asking for a custom war wagon, but this is a solid truck too. C-B isn't all about numbers, it's about the warn and fuzzies too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by medic190 View Post
    OK, here's my situation- I've got a district of 10 square miles with 1250 residents. We run automatic aid with the other district in the town, 17.5 more square miles and about 1,000 more people. (of course if I could count livestock, I'd be set: they outnumber the residents like 3:1...) Do (or can) I add the extra bodies to my total for the cost/benefit calc? and then, if I added the other districts that we have formal mutual aid (actually, the entire County is formal mutual aid, but I digress) I could add an additional 5,000 people (now my numbers are great, but alone they stink) I'm looking at a C/B rating of mid 5's alone, low 3's with the automatic aid and I didn't even calculate it with all the mutual aid, but it would be very low...

Problem is I really need to win the game or else my current 30 year old tanker will be 40 years old when we finally scap up enough funding to replace it...
    Yes add in the mutual aid population to drive down the cost per person, after all you serve them and they will foot the bill at some point. The more people to assist in cost per person the better. Add any and all mutual aid populations as long as you make calls to the districts you can justify it, even if it's one call a year you still provide aid. Another item is make the lifespan of your new tanker 25 years rather than 10 or 15 like most do, this will drive down cost as well. You can easily prove that the truck will last that long.

Thread Information