Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Kwajalein Info Please (searched but it's all 2+ yrs old)

I know about the 2 year contract to work and the certification requirements (I meet them-4 yrs Air Force), but little else. I'm stoked at the adventure of living on an island with limited communication and no cars. I'm interested in the work schedule, pay, benefits, etc. I've searched for the last hour and only found info over 2 years old. Thanks

Ken

ken
    most of the info is still good it's still two days on and two off unless maning sucks then it's anyones guess. there were a couple of times i worked 14 days straight before i was forced to take some days off. the only things that have really changed are the two year commitment and the pay.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by armyfiremn View Post
    ken
    most of the info is still good it's still two days on and two off unless maning sucks then it's anyones guess. there were a couple of times i worked 14 days straight before i was forced to take some days off. the only things that have really changed are the two year commitment and the pay.
    what is the pay and commitment now?
    No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.
    ~W. A. Nance~

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
    ~Walt Disney~

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    ~Mark Twain~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
    ~James R. Cook~

Life don't suck. Life is what you make of it.
    ~FIREFLY~

not sure about the pay you'd have to call up the company to find out but it's no where near what you would make in iraq or afghanistan. the commitment is now two years instead of one. if you break contract and only do one year you pay the company back for the cost of you moving to and off of the island.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CholosDoan View Post
    I know about the 2 year contract to work and the certification requirements (I meet them-4 yrs Air Force), but little else. I'm stoked at the adventure of living on an island with limited communication and no cars. I'm interested in the work schedule, pay, benefits, etc. I've searched for the last hour and only found info over 2 years old. Thanks

Ken
    Our dispatcher's husband job got a job over there. I'll see if I can't get you an email address and he should be able to offer you help with your questions. He went over as a Police officer.

HTH

Ian

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kwaj

Like alot of people, I am interested in working at Kwaj. So from what I gather the pay is around $10 per hour (correct me if I'm wrong). If you are working 24 on 24 off, I figured the pay at about 40K a year. Sound right to those who have worked there?

Anyway, interested in any info on this contract. Submitted my resume and just waiting I guess. Do not know how tough it is to get on, but any help is appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default pay scale for inspectors

i recently looked into working there, they have two positions availabe in the inspection dept. inspector pay is 14/hr low end and lead inspector is 17/hr low end, based on 40 hr work week, and no overtime.

basically comes to normal pay in the fire service, but your on a small island, free housing and free food, and tax free.

you can make 2.5x more in iraq, but its a great island for off duty time

Forum Member

Several positions open. From firefighter to Fire Tech.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is now a 1 yr contract. The pay is better than 40k per year, from my understanding it all depends on what certs you have. I am currently waiting on the medical review officer to give clearance from my physical.

For some it is all about the pay, and to others it is about having the opportunity to live and work out there. Seems like a different but good life style. Then again it is going to be all what you make out of it.

Forum Member

Yes, living the island life is good. Bigred you are correct, pay has been over 40k yr for just about everyone on the floor. Lots of OT, but that is slowing down some. Time to enjoy the beach.

MembersZone Subscriber

nobrainbob

Could you email me at hgdeputychief@yahoo.com. I will be leaving here in a few weeks to Kwaj and have a few questions that maybe you could help me out with. Thanks John

Forum Member

Default contact info

I just spent two years in Iraq and would like a change of scenery...anyone have contact info for Kwajalein?

Forum Member

Default contact info

Found the info...thanx!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CholosDoan View Post

Ken
    its a one year contract now fellas, and if you read the other forum on Kwaj you will find out all the info you need to know. Hiring is about a 2 month process. So, be aware that its not super quick, and we operate off Island time here.
    Last edited by Jetsettingfire1; 10-15-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Thread Information