Forum Member

Default Where To Mention It...

While determining the level of training needed, I stumbled upon a question. If you are going for a vehicle are they wanting the FF2 status for the applicants? Also, if training is requested, do you mention the FF2 training on your vehicle narrative?

On a related subject, have we determined the "MINIMUM" level of training? All these different levels are floating around, and I am having a tough time convincing my membership on the training, and want to make sure I am not "over-working" the guys (their words, not mine.)
    BAClair

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

From my understanding if DHS is going to give you money, they want to see your leverlof training or where you stand and what bench mark the department has set and when the training will be met for FF1 and 2.

On vehicles, DHS wants to see training/certs on driver operator.

As far as the training issue, It is the most important goal to meet in a fire department! I understand it is easier for paid departmentsthan volunters. (I am paid)
    Set the standard for your county and others will follow.FF1,2 and driver/operator NFPA are minium standards everyone should strive for.

The knowledge and skills in these standards everyone should know! Get a cope of the standards and base drills arounds those standards.
    Knowledge and perfect practice is THE KEY to a successful deparment.

Forum Member

I like that Morgancity, that ties things in very nice. You sure you haven't been writing these grants for a while?

MembersZone Subscriber

No Lime,

I just got in the grant game in '06. I wish I could say I knew alot! I have read and learned so much from Kurt B. Thanks to all. I have learned so much from reading the post.

ms

Forum Member

This thought crossed the mind last night. Suppose that you apply for an equipment grant and a vehicle grant. To get on the good side of DHS, you say that you are applying for the training needed in the OTHER grant, i.e. opposite of the one you are discussing. Then, if one grant fails (either by bad luck or intentional stupidity - $500,000 pricetag) then, you can blame the lack of training due to the fact that the grant that was to fund it was turned down.
    How many do you think would be bold enough to try this? More importantly, how could they verify or check that this didn't happen?

One last thought...how many are NOT applying this year thanks to the training requirements? Might mean some better chances to those of us playing.

Later
    BAClair

Forum Member

Hey I'm playing as many times as they will allow me too. We just have a couple more years that the program is listed for, so I am gonna give it as many tries as I can. The first question, I think, but you may get input from Kurt and Brian or any one who has been an evaluator may be able to give you better insight. But from my understanding of the review process, you cannot see if the department has another grant application in, so you cannot link them up.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

On a somewhat related note, exactly what is required to be able to honestly state that your department is trained to FF1 or FF2 or whatever? Do they mean FF1 certification, or just that your department trains its members to the standard? Because I would confidently state that we use the FF1 curriculum as the standard to which we train, but our training is informal and in-house...in other words, no certification is issued, but I can produce the training logs, with topics covered, to show that members have received training in all aspects of the FF1 standard. So how strict are they about this (assuming they'd even check up on you at all)?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    On a somewhat related note, exactly what is required to be able to honestly state that your department is trained to FF1 or FF2 or whatever? Do they mean FF1 certification, or just that your department trains its members to the standard? Because I would confidently state that we use the FF1 curriculum as the standard to which we train, but our training is informal and in-house...in other words, no certification is issued, but I can produce the training logs, with topics covered, to show that members have received training in all aspects of the FF1 standard. So how strict are they about this (assuming they'd even check up on you at all)?
    Good question Chief! I was wondering the same thing. The two departments that I belong to have some veterans that have been in the service for 20+ years. They took training classes back then when FFI and FFII weren't around. So is the government saying that their training years ago doesn't qualify?? I have a hard time telling those guys that they have to go and get FFI and FFII just so we can apply for grants. If this is the case I don't know that my departments are going to be able to apply this year or ever again. The newer guys coming in are taking the classes. Iguess I will just have to call the help desk and ask some questions.
    Nick Cook
    Biglerville Hose & Truck Co #1
    Bendersville Community Fire Company

Forum Member

As far as I can tell, they are looking for "Standards" and not for certifications. I must say that certifications would be a plus as it would be easier to verify.

I am glad to see the push for more formal training. I believe the old days of "pulling the hose off the trucks, squirting water and calling it training" are over. I hope that some day, all firefighters will be in some kind of certification training.

Here in the state of Texas, there are two programs. There is one for career firefighters and one for volunteers. They both lead to the same end, but do it on different time tables and different approaches. Of course this makes it hard teaching the "volunteer program" with the "career program" teaching packages (there isn't a volunteer training package that I know of). Anyway, good luck and happy training
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information