Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Hotfire23 View Post
    Pretty much the only one with a brain so far is MFDHoseCo3CGR. Just for starters...WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU???!!(besides MFDHoseCoCGR) How far up your rears are your heads...YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO BE TALKING LIKE THIS...Are you not all firefighters? Doesn't sound like it, sounds like your just people trying to play the part and look like a heroic individual. Firefighting is all about tradition and St.Patty's day is a traditional fire/police event. Drinking has always been acceptable at these events by even uniformed police officers. This may vary from department to department but generally is fine, as it should be. It's people like you who are ruining the fire service and are making what was once the best thing in the world into these little stuck up prissy back stabbing, "soft" and un-fun places. People shouldn't take it too far as I know for a fact these members in the 8th didn't since I was there at this event. MrPeepers probably has written the biggest amount of pure ignorance I have ever seen in my entire life.....Underage drinking is an issue, but for one leave morals out of this because it is not all that big of an issue. Majority of people today and even in the past and it will continue into the future have consumed alcohol before the age of 21. That is not an issue, its ok, its human to do these things. Plus in this case it is all just allegations, the members told their side of the story and were told, well we don't believe you BYE! Justice, I think not. The community is OUTRAGED as I have spoken to many...many... people who live in the 8th district, as well as other Fire departments, career and volunteer. They all said the same thing, this is rediculous, its St.Pattys day and this chief should be thrown out of office. The community was so shocked to hear about this bull that there will be many many many letters sent to the district soon enough, I will guarantee it. Another issue to speak about is brotherhood....has it died?? It's called the blue line, know it, use it, live by it. YOU NEVER CROSS THE BLUE LINE. In the world of police and fire, no matter what happens you don't rat on one of your own or your not truely in the brotherhood and will forever be left out of it, the people who told(most of which are lies) are not true firemen and can never get that status back, they are now simply rats and outside looking in at the brotherhood. I am so outraged at this as a firefighter that I can't believe all of you wouldn't simply support these men who got dismissed because of brotherhood alone.

Support your brothers no matter what, especially because one day it could be you, maybe for an entirely different issue but how would you feel if there were dozens of knives in your backs?? Thats how they feel. Keep moral beliefs out of this, if you don't agree with drinking ok, let others have fun. Fact is the crowd loved these guys at the parade, with the exception of 1.

You're comment "Support your brothers no matter what" is a rather bold statement isn't it?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hotfire23 View Post
    Pretty much the only one with a brain so far is MFDHoseCo3CGR. Just for starters...WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU???!!(besides MFDHoseCoCGR) How far up your rears are your heads...YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO BE TALKING LIKE THIS...Are you not all firefighters? Doesn't sound like it, sounds like your just people trying to play the part and look like a heroic individual.
    Yep, been a firefighter for 15 years now, and a fire officer for 7 years of that. Heroic? Not at all. Just have a different opinion of this topic than you and the members of the department in question -- that doesn't make me, or anyone else in this thread, any less a firefighter.

Firefighting is all about tradition...
    Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's not...
    ...and St.Patty's day is a traditional fire/police event. Drinking has always been acceptable at these events by even uniformed police officers. This may vary from department to department but generally is fine, as it should be.
    No, it's not any more acceptable that a uniformed LEO drinks than it is that a uniformed FF drinks.
    It's people like you who are ruining the fire service and are making what was once the best thing in the world into these little stuck up prissy back stabbing, "soft" and un-fun places.
    If that's the case, so be it.

.....Underage drinking is an issue, but for one leave morals out of this because it is not all that big of an issue. Majority of people today and even in the past and it will continue into the future have consumed alcohol before the age of 21. That is not an issue, its ok, its human to do these things.
    So underage drinking, no matter if in uniform, is okay, just becuase "everyone does it?"
    Another issue to speak about is brotherhood....has it died?? It's called the blue line, know it, use it, live by it. YOU NEVER CROSS THE BLUE LINE. In the world of police and fire, no matter what happens you don't rat on one of your own or your not truely in the brotherhood and will forever be left out of it, the people who told(most of which are lies) are not true firemen and can never get that status back, they are now simply rats and outside looking in at the brotherhood. I am so outraged at this as a firefighter that I can't believe all of you wouldn't simply support these men who got dismissed because of brotherhood alone. Support your brothers no matter what, especially because one day it could be you, maybe for an entirely different issue but how would you feel if there were dozens of knives in your backs?? Thats how they feel. Keep moral beliefs out of this, if you don't agree with drinking ok, live your life alone and boring, let others have fun. Fact is the crowd loved these guys at the parade, with the exception of 1.
    Bold added by me ... so if a FF or LEO does something illegal, immoral, or unsafe, we support him no matter what? That has got to be in the top 10 of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this forum. As public safety officials (career or volunteer), we are held to a higher standard, and for that reason, that's a reason we're not going to support "brothers" who tarnish the badges that we've worked so hard for.

You're going to throw me out of your "brotherhood" because I'm not supporting these men. That's fine with me, you've made it obvious that the brotherhood you desire to be a part of isn't the same one that I do.

Guess I'll go home now, and be "alone and boring"...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Default Think before you speak...

I suggest you get your facts straight. What makes you think heavy drinking was involved here? The majority of the firefighters involved were sober upon leaving and consumed a beer or two at best. No one drove a vehicle that had drank. Its ignorant statements like yours that sully the names of your supposed brothers..way to go!

Forum Member

Default The 8th is in real trouble now..........

Without the firefighters that were dismissed the 8th is in real trouble now. It was stated they made up 10% of the membership there...this is simply not true! Out of the rest of the members there are many that are inactive, others that have no formal training , such as firefighter1 or emt, and yet others who cannot enter structure fires. I am a taxpayer in the district and we are in serious troble here!! If the I84 incident is an indication of how well the department works without these firefighters, WE ARE IN TROUBLE!! Wake up and smell the coffee, you simply are not capable of doing your jobs and the community is being made aware of that.

Forum Member

Default This is ridiculous!!

I suggest you cut your apron strings to the chief and face the facts like a man. The department will not get past this incident with the crew that is left. The dismissed firefighters were primarily the first responders and the majority of them were well trained and quite competent as well to handle the job, as they have proved many times before. As for the article, it is truly inaccurate as it made it sound like all of these firefighters acted inappropiatley before during and after the parade..NOT TRUE! I attended and saw only one member acting out of line. The other suggested bad behavior during the parade was that they interacted with the crowd, and that is exactly what the community wants to see, not some stoic statues ignoring them...that shows disrepect as far as I am concerned. I too do not agree with underage drinking but the blame should fall where it belongs and that is with the institutions that supplied the alcohol to them. If the drinking in uniform is the biggest issue here, that is ridiculous. MANY other members drank that day and one of the paid members heavily coerced several underage members to drink with them, (and infact several of the punished members of legal drinking age discouraged it). So I ask of you: Is the member who offered these minors alcohol behavior acceptable? It must be as this member received no punishment at all simply because he hid his shirt..So I guess district members can offer alcohol to minors as long as they are not in uniform. This is truly disturbing to me and many residents of the district. The chief should apologize for painting the picture that ALL involved were drinking excessively, because it is not true, this I know for fact. As far as the I84 incident is concerned, if this is the service we will be receiving here in the District now, we are really in trouble.

Forum Member

Default Where is the BROTHERHOOD?

I read and reread your post and the one thing that I fail to see here, is the lack of support for your fellow firefighters in a time of crisis. Your lack of kinship with your brothers tells a lot about you. Maybe you wanted to see these firefighters ousted to give you a chance to get up in rank?...How pathetic is that? Firemen throughout the world support their brothers and exist as a family..if this is the 8th's idea of a family I would rather be an orphan. Shame on you and the chief..Family does not kick someone when they are down. Putting this in the press was not right either. Other departments deal with these matters internally, but as a resident in the district I have come to learn that I should not expect the higher ups in the deparment to act as any other proffessional leader would have. It is time for the dissolution the 8th to take place!

Forum Member

Default DItto to that!!

I agree..it is truly the District residents that will suffer with the loss of some of the most competent and skilled firefighters the 8th has ever had. WTG, 8th, I know I won't be sleeping soundly anymore!!!

I'll say it again...

I think there is much more to this issue than what was reported.

and I'll leave it at that.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I'll say it again...

I think Bones is on to somthing.

Forum Member

Post response

dday05, I do not believe that is a bold statement because in the fire service it should never even be put into question, you support your borther firefighters, its that simple, if you do not feel the same well thats ok. And Boxalarm187- just because most people drink underage or have at some point, does not make it ok. What I am trying to get at is don't be so quick to judge when in fact most of the people saying they are against this is something should be done have done the same stuff at one point or another, and besides at this point the underage drinking is just all allegations with the exception of one. These people had meetings, told the truth, and were simply told well we don't believe you so goodbye. I have no anger towards anyone with a difference of opinion as these kinds of issues do draw every point of view but I am very opinionated on this issue, but as Bones42 has said, "I think there is much more to this issue than what was reported", this is a true statement, and people don't have the facts. It was nothing like what all of you must be picturing in your heads. ONLY 1 person did something that would shame the badge. As far as the underage drinking, I personally do not feel that they shamed the badge or their department, it was a lapse of judgement yes, but it happens and they should have been suspended and put back onto probabtion. All and all, the punishments handed out were excessive, thats all. But I do still have strong feelings of brotherhood and I believe that everyone else should, thats what keeps us running, knowing you can trust the person next to you, especially over something minor like this. No one drove drunk, and only one acted innappropriate. People can't control what others do so why wasn't just the one who did go over line dismissed and the others given fair treatment?? Well, I am done posting atleast for now as I feel that this is just a done deal now, nothing can really be done, it has already been blown up way more than what it should have ever been and it's simply beating a dead horse now. P.S. my statement posted quite a bit,should have only been once but I was having troubl with it so kept trying to get it up here, now I think its up about four times...lovely.

MembersZone Subscriber

Disregard Post
    Last edited by MFDHoseCo3CGR; 10-22-2008 at 11:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Disregard Post
    Last edited by MFDHoseCo3CGR; 10-22-2008 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFDHoseCo3CGR View Post
    MyCareer was in fact correct. There is no mutual aid blocking agreement. TMFD was called because the first in officer/paid guy (On Engine 4) knew that he would not get the needed manpower from his department, he made a smart call. 8th-Engine 4 arrived with 2 people. Then TMFD began to arrive. Soon after 8th-Rescue 5 responded with 2 people. Vernon units were called and Engine 2 arrived rather late with only 2 people. TMFD Shift commander was given command by the Captain on scene. That is sad. Although that was a good call by the cpt who has very little expierience actually doing anything. Stop trying to make the district look better.
    Why don't you get your facts right or shut your mouth. For your info there is an agreement with the town, they are our first due mutual aid piece and we are there first due. Where you on the scene of the I 84 incident ? No you were not. So instead of running your mouth why don't you get your facts straight. It is people like you that cause these issues. If anyone else wants to know what happened why don't you go to the source instead of listening to lies. Why you are at it, why don't you go and see some other volunteer fire depts and tell me about there response and members. Obviously you just don't get it. For the resident of the district, why don't you come on down and we will talk. I can tell you now you do not know nothing about the operations of a volunteer fire dept or what really occured on I 84.

MyCareer was in fact correct. There is no mutual aid blocking agreement. TMFD was called because the first in officer/paid guy (On Engine 4) knew that he would not get the needed manpower from his department, he made a smart call. 8th-Engine 4 arrived with 2 people. Then TMFD began to arrive. Soon after 8th-Rescue 5 responded with 2 people. Vernon units were called and Engine 2 arrived rather late with only 2 people. TMFD Shift commander was given command by the Captain on scene. That is sad. Although that was a good call by the cpt who has very little expierience actually doing anything. Stop trying to make the district look better.
    This statement is wrong. The capt was not there when command when established and that capt has more certifications then you have birthdays. don't report on something the you were not there for or have accurate information.

Forum Member

I've seen some pics of that wreck, That Capt is A TOOL

Quote Originally Posted by FFC1976 View Post
    This statement is wrong. The capt was not there when command when established and that capt has more certifications then you have birthdays. don't report on something the you were not there for or have accurate information.
    Lots of certifications doesnt mean anything. Just because someone took a class and passed a test that doesnt make them a good firefighter or for that matter a good officer. Anyone can take FFOI class. My two cents.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    I'll say it again...

Quote Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
    I think Bones is on to somthing.
    x3..........

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I assure that if you knew the truth you would realize that drinking in uniform was nothing more than an excuse for the chief to oust members.

maybe someone shoulod fill us in on the "truth" so we can make an informed decision, instead of whining and argueing like a bunch of highschool cheerleaders.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Disregard Post
    Last edited by MFDHoseCo3CGR; 10-22-2008 at 11:57 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Disregard Posts
    Last edited by MFDHoseCo3CGR; 10-22-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Thread Information