Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Washington Depts/Public Safety Testing

Hey,
    I'm looking to apply pretty much everywhere I can in Washington and Oregon. I know that a lot of WA depts use Public Safety Testing. Anyone familer with it? I've read over the website and I gotten what I can off there, so I'm looking for opinions or advice.
    I'll be applying for FF/EMT Basic positions so if anyone knows of any decent depts in WA/OR that will be hiring soon I'd appreciate it, or any to stay away from for that matter.

Thanks in advance for help/advice.

MembersZone Subscriber

I tested with them this year. I have no idea what range you need to score in to move to oral boards. There isn't much info out there suggesting what score ranges move on to oral boards. Overall the test was easy.

Forum Member

The ranges vary. For the larger departments, you should expect to get a minimum score of 98% to be in the running for an oral board.

Kent Fire, for example, graded the cutoff at 100% (in the last cycle) to even obtain an oral board invite.

I know friends who got oral board invites from other VERY good departments (i.e. Gig Harbor Fire and Medic One) with scores as low as 94%.

As you can see, it varies. One thing is for certain: Public safety is the most competitive (and expensive) test in Washington. There are people who take it over and over again, and have become so proficient they regularly get 100% scores. However, many of the departments on it are hiring like gangbusters, so the payoff could be huge. I know at least 10 people personally who have been hired from it.

Good luck -

PHC

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for the info. I hope veteran's preference points will help me.

Like PHC, I can think of 10 just off the top of my head that have been hired off their test. All did not have a score less than 94%.
    A lot depends on the department. I had heard talk/rumor at one point before about the top x scores not being considered by one department and the next x scores being taken in order to skim off the so-called "professional test takers". (Rumor and speculation.)

Re: Veteran's points. Some cities will add the points to the score they receive from PST while others will add it after the interview when they establish their list. The points added will generally range from 5 points to 10 points added to your final adjusted score. You need to score well and NOT rely on the veteran's points.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.

So for the folks who have gone through the public safety testing process, did you find the test difficult? Is it pretty much a standard test?

It seems like there's a good number of depts in South and Western WA that hire basics, anyone have opinions on specific depts? Good, bad, anything?

Thanks again.

The overall general knowledge test is pretty straight-forward.
    There is a mini-psych at the end of it ~25 questions that makes or breaks you.

Those 100%/Profession-Test-Takers are working the system pretty well.

They have a few rings of career-FF's who are paid to take the test and memorize the 50-question "psych-eval" and their patterned-answers. They compile these and their scores and then the "way to answer" is sold off to the group of "investors" in the ring. About once a year, the test is mixed up a little, but they overcome it pretty quickly.

You have to "know somebody" to get in, but if you network around and find one of those "100%" guys, they'll usually sell their spot or contact after they've been hired.

MembersZone Subscriber

So much for testing with them. What a waste of money if what you are saying is true.

I have heard of a couple people gettng hired off of Public safety test. The whole "You have to know somebody to get in" I think if BS. Thats just like you have to know somebody to get on with a big department. If you score high enough and are the right canidate at the right time you will get hired if you know somebody or not.

You can also look at Bates test. They test for about 10-13 departments in the King/Pierce county area. Portland Fire is testing again in August

Quote Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
    Those 100%/Profession-Test-Takers are working the system pretty well.

They have a few rings of career-FF's who are paid to take the test and memorize the 50-question "psych-eval" and their patterned-answers. They compile these and their scores and then the "way to answer" is sold off to the group of "investors" in the ring. About once a year, the test is mixed up a little, but they overcome it pretty quickly.

You have to "know somebody" to get in, but if you network around and find one of those "100%" guys, they'll usually sell their spot or contact after they've been hired.
    Never heard of this.
    Anyone?
    Anyone?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?

Buuueller?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Never heard of this.
    Anyone?
    Anyone?
    Bueller?
    Bueller?

Buuueller?

I've actually heard of something similar. My buddy got set up with a guy (who was already paid) last year who was "selling" information on how to pass PST. So, when I read that post it did ring a bell.

PHC

Forum Member

I have heard of something similar, but it went more like this.

10 guys go take the test, then they all memorize 10 questions, at the end they get together and have the test questions.

People selling info? I think is BS, they change the way of scoring of the personality questions all the time.

I got hired off public safety testing with out knowing anybody at my department or sharing of answers. I just studied, practiced and practiced more. When I thought I was ready for the interview I studied more. It can be done legit you just have to work for it.

How could you spend 25 years on the job lying about how you got the job to your co-workers who trust you with their life......

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

I can dig what you all are saying. I'm sure things like that are going on with PST. But not everyone that gets 100% is cheating. When I first took the test, I got a 94% because I answered the 50 personality questions at the end the way someone told me to answer them. This last round when I took it, I got a 100% because I answered all of them honestly. The reason being that out of the 50 personality questions, there are only 25 questions, worded differently. They are looking for consistency with your answers. But I agree that something needs to be done to lower ALL of the scores because my 100% hasn't gone too far because of veterans points. I only got 2 interviews from it. BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE!

MembersZone Subscriber

How many departments did you pay for? 100% and only two interviews. That is discouraging.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosscbaechle View Post
    I can dig what you all are saying. I'm sure things like that are going on with PST. But not everyone that gets 100% is cheating. When I first took the test, I got a 94% because I answered the 50 personality questions at the end the way someone told me to answer them. This last round when I took it, I got a 100% because I answered all of them honestly. The reason being that out of the 50 personality questions, there are only 25 questions, worded differently. They are looking for consistency with your answers. But I agree that something needs to be done to lower ALL of the scores because my 100% hasn't gone too far because of veterans points. I only got 2 interviews from it. BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Sometimes it can take some time to get a call for an interview. I had a buddy get an oral board invite from Bellevue one year after he took the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't recall how many. I believe it was around 5 or 6 departments that I applied to. Discouraged? No. There is no room for being discouraged when it comes to the firefighter hiring process.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosscbaechle View Post
    I don't recall how many. I believe it was around 5 or 6 departments that I applied to. Discouraged? No. There is no room for being discouraged when it comes to the firefighter hiring process.
    That's the positive attitude you need to keep.
    Two interviews is great!
    You need to pick yourself up and keep going.

Thread Information