Forum Member

Default Tempe - should I?

I am scheduled to take the written test for Tempe (AZ) tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I really want to work there. Should I even bother making the 100 mile trip to take the test, or should I just skip it. I already work for a great department, but I do want to relocate to somewhere else. I'm waiting until I get a job somewhere I want to actually live, because I don't want to be department hopping all the time - I want a job that I can retire from.

Does anyone know anything about the department, because in all honesty, I don't know all that much about them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Y'know. My first inclination was to say "skip it". You sound doubtful and already have a "great job".
    However, I'm more inclined now to say go ahead and take it. You admittedly don't know much about the city/department.

Take the test, then; stop by a station and ask questions.

Yes, you'll obviously fall into the same category of a candidate stopping by during the testing BUT, you'll at least have taken the written test. Then should you find out enough to pique your interest to continue you won't be kicking yourself about NOT taking their test.

Just remember, if you don't want your current department to know you're shopping around, don't let it slip out on your station visit. Phone lines are still much faster than you in your car.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Y'know. My first inclination was to say "skip it". You sound doubtful and already have a "great job".
    However, I'm more inclined now to say go ahead and take it. You admittedly don't know much about the city/department.

Take the test, then; stop by a station and ask questions.

Yes, you'll obviously fall into the same category of a candidate stopping by during the testing BUT, you'll at least have taken the written test. Then should you find out enough to pique your interest to continue you won't be kicking yourself about NOT taking their test.

Just remember, if you don't want your current department to know you're shopping around, don't let it slip out on your station visit. Phone lines are still much faster than you in your car.
    Yeah, I decided I am going to take it, then decide later if I want to continue the process. I don't hide the fact I am testing from anyone around my current department; they are pretty understanding, and don't mind if people are testing elsewhere - they don't try to hold anyone back in their career.

Thread Information